1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evie - 1966 Aussie Delivered 11 Window Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 68BUS, Nov 19, 2013.

1. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Come on Brad, must be some colour shots by now

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Not Mike.
    It was going to be in getting coloured last week but the Wednesday night before I got a frantic call from the panel beater saying that he was not totally happy with the straightness. He was due to fly out on Friday Morning as his boss was flying him to a car show in LA and he said he could work day and night and pass the final sand onto the painter but I told him not to kill himself over it and to hold off another week and get it right before paint.
    We are both conscious on the desired finish date but its been a year in the making so I may as well take the extra week to make sure it all runs smoothly.

By the way I have your piece of glass in my car too. I will make a time to drop it back. Upon chasing up the glass manufacturer too see how it was going it turn out the cut all the glass on day one and it has been sitting there awaiting collection. They forgot to phone me.

3. cruzr944

cruzr944 Member

Man even the goods ones hide evils underneath. Shes going to look great

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to post these as I know you all hate colour shots but I figure I will anyway.
    When we started to choose the colour we really struggled to find accurate samples to base our decision on. I got Glasurit to mix me the colours and they just didn't look the same as other busses. Now I no how big a difference the camera makes.
    There are two colours below. The lighter green is off my big DSLR. The darker colour is of my mobile phone. Ironically the mobile phone (darker colour) is more true to real life.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This photo especially shows colour up.
    [​IMG]

5. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is spending a bit of time at Custom Vee Dub to get some new wiring and mechanical fit off and servicing. Hopefully she will be home soon.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

looks like the hand blocking paid off :)
    should look good when you do the 'sand backs' and patina it

7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

maybe get your ass out of the city :)

some real storm damage might be easily come by tho?

time you guys got with whats new anyway. heard from an old turkey that a well known split personality will soon be driving a T3. claims splits are so 'old hat'

[try beauty salon for mud, extra fine and wont scratch new paint ]

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Don't talk to me about storm damage. I was trapped in the valley during the hail storm thinking I was a fool to restore a car.
    Anyway. Will be nice to have her on the road. And maybe the mud can come from Tambo if I get stuck in that ditch again!

Hopefully not though that incident has led me to buying a gearbox reverse light switch and led flood light so hopefully I can see where I am reversing next time.

10. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

looking good Brad, who is that ugly bugger holding the petrol tank

11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Right now he is one of two best friends as they are going to be my ticket to air con free driving over Christmas.
    On a plus side 2 Shannons just upped my insurance (along with an obscene premium) so I won;t be fretting about storms and the like.

12. Dibsy

Dibsy Member

Looks Great Brad, well worth the effort.
    Was this painted in Southport ? I have a friend who has a workshop there where he keeps his splitty and next door there was a green & white Split being painted !

13. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Ah Ha, yep that is it and it also solves a mystery.
    My bodywork guy said the painter told him that someone came in saying he was the owner and checked it out that he thought was odd because I would have let him know.
    He must have been told that another split owner came in.
    I was wondering who was claiming to own my bus :)

It was painted by Fine Finish Paint and Panel.

14. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Looks great Brad can't wait to see her in the flesh !:D

15. tubguts

tubguts Member

that's looking real smart,
    You'd have to be happy with that !

16. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

Very very nice love the colour combo we will look like twins when I get on the road.
    Big job with great results.

T3's are the next big thing go Col.

17. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Sound good. As you went and got rid of the whole 66 Club that we had going in SEQ.
    Now you me and Jon can start a little Velvet Green Club to replace it.
    Which is ironic as one of the reason we chose Velvet Green was it was a little bit different.

18. Performance Upholstery

Performance Upholstery New Member

Looks Awesome Brad!

19. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

So I am trying to get as much fitted up at home whilst the bus is getting mechanical and wiring done.
    I did all the pop outs over the weekend. I managed to get the inner and outer frame seals down to about 20minutes per window using a can of Rubber Magic and a couple of flat blade screwdrivers.
    What a pain of a job that was. I really really hope I got them in facing the right way.

Cab doors are next. But I am dropping the glass off tonight to get tinted. Not to bold, but all the side and rear glass will get darkish tint and the safari's will get clear film applied which cuts heat by about 20% and uv by 99%.

20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Coming along nicely Brad - always better to go with a colour scheme that is different to the norm ;)