1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evie - 1966 Aussie Delivered 11 Window Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 68BUS, Nov 19, 2013.

1. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Evie is looking great! You must be happy with the finish. Looking forward to sawtell to check her out.

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

So I dropped some gear off today and put the safari's back in.
    And the Auto Electrician has installed the new loom and my speedhut gauges and some lights.
    He is back next week to finish off the on road necessities and I can do everything else in my own time later.

Engine is back in too with the new bay window tank setup (including POR15 kit through it).
    My speedhut sender only just squeezed in there. At least it should be more reliable than the VDO units.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

She is looking awesome, Brad. A lot of work and money but the end result is gonna be a very fine bus......

4. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Holy Moly Brad. I must confess I haven't logged into this thread in quite a while. I'm just gobsmacked. The work you've done is amazing.

I didn't think you were going the full hog on this resto but I'm really pleased you are.

Plus Velvet green is one of my favourite VW colours. LOVE IT.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Dont forget to drill[or chisel] drain holes in the floor under your feet for drainage from the safaris :p

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

They should be right now Col. Fitted my new Clark Rubber safari rubbers. Closing the windows takes a fair bit of effort, but they should seal at least.
    As long as the pressure does not break the glue bond on the hinge I will be right.

So the weekend saw me fitting off everything I could.
    I cannot fire her up yet as I need about 100mm of ID57mm Fuel hose from the neck filler to the new bay tank.
    Hopefully today will turn something up or Bursons will have some in on Tuesday.

More Auto Electrics on Tuesday also.

But I got all the windows in and rubbers both on windows and doors.
    Mech are fitted less handles as I am missing a couple of bits. Doors take a fair bit of pressure to close and open, and pop out windows are near impossible to open for now, But they will loosen up I am sure.
    I put new Cip1 rubbers on the popouts in the previous form and they were pretty good but a smidge loose.
    The new Wolfburg West rubbers into new frames are tight as tight can be. At least it won't leak I suppose. (and Hope).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the best photos as they were taken this morning but you get the idea.
    Interior next, then bumpers and roof rack.

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

looking fairly schmick for something that you weren't going to do too much to?
    nice straight reflection on the sides.

maybe sit the bus in the sun to 'wishfully' soften rubbers into being a bit compliant.?

8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. I found the list of 'To Do's' when I pulled it off the road.
    Pretty small list in comparison. And totally different outcome.

But as they say, do it once, do it right, don't look at the bank statement when you finish.

9. Performance Upholstery

Performance Upholstery New Member

looks awesome mate!

10. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Looking real nice Brad, don't rush it mate

11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

So once again my mate Col came to the rescue with some good advice this morning (and for once it was not related to getting a towel for my feet).
    I started the bus up after fitting the wet exhaust hose as a fuel tank neck filler (which was a tricky job that has stamped the engine bay with my own brand of red paint).
    But I was getting a bit of fuel leaking out of the mechanical fuel pump. Unless it was spilled during priming.
    So I went to Micks Motors today and got some new fuel lines (last of the old gear that was supposed to be replaced) and bought a new mechanical fuel pump with an angled top as now I have the alternator there in not as much room there.
    Looks much better two as the barbed fittings are not pressed in. They are welded on instead so one less thing to fail.

Old One.
    [​IMG]

New One with angles top.
    [​IMG]

12. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

And also could not be bothered working out in the dark last night so came in and started putting this together.
    What a paint in the bum job!
    This is 3 hours work. Still need to go through and tighten everything and finish the top rail but the back is broken of it.
    Anita was even photographed (not on my camera unfortunately) at Midnight lying under the rack on the floor fitting the little nuts that my fingers were struggling with.
    She is definitely a keeper.
    And after that she got up to the kids after 3 hours sleep. Made me a coffee and casually said "I think we just press on and get the door cards and headliner done too while we are at it".

[​IMG]

shaven, Julian Taylor and Bensville like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

not being a smartie - but you got a new pushrod to gp with that pump?

They have a different size rod to your original one

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

she just wants it finished and ready for sale for the divorce :p

shaven likes this.
  15. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks Barry. Col gave me a heads up about your reply. Got the smaller push rod and all works really well. Very happy I changed.

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

New alternators nice and big but reduce the tight space that was already there - looking good brad and glad it's you and not me with that roof rack.

17. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

My neighbor came for the first cruise with me last night. Thought it was fair as he helped fit the fuel filler. Even let him drive.
    Lost my brake light circuit again though. There is a loose wire in the fuse box that is not playing the game.

Attached Files:

18. davidr

davidr Member

Looking good mate..
    :cool:

19. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Maybe check the spade fitting on the wire that goes to the master cylinder too. My brake light was working intermittently and it was a loose and slightly surface rusted spade connection there......

Your bus looks wicked !!!!!

20. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

No its the line to the fuse. Keeps jumping off. I zip tied it on this morning and no more problems. 100+ km under the belt today. All good in basic running state. More electrical next year.