Exhaust system – advice sought

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Friedo, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

2. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

image.jpeg
    Sooooo quiet now - if that is possible- should be able to hear all the other ....... Let's not go there .

John, oldman, Mordred and 3 others like this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ;) now you'll be hearing that true air cooled sound :rolleyes::eek::confused::D

bagman likes this.
  4. Woodyd

Woodyd New Member

Hi folks. Looking for bit of advice re what muffler / exhaust will provide quietest noise. 8 know some like them loud but im looking to make my ‘72 lowlight as stealth as possible. I saw a set up on a similar bus at dubsattheabbey today with empi silencers. Any thoughts?

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

What type of engine you have a 1600 cc or 1800/2000 style engine? What is currently there? :confused:What quietest noise :confused: doesn't normally work . It's the quietest exhaust tone.;). If you got an original 1600 which should be on 72 model. Quietest exhaust in my opinion is the original style exhaust.For that as well goes for the other style of engine as well. Which the post of Bagmans exhaust(as above:rolleyes:) is correct for that style of engine. 72 has a one year only exhaust, they are expensive because of this and hard to get. There are other exhaust out there like Vintage speed but I've never used one so can't comment on them,others might tell you more about them. Have heard they are good in looks and sounds:)

Woodyd and David H like this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As above.
    What engine? But certainly for type 4 motor the stock is long lasting and quietest.
    Empi are thin crap , noisy, need painting, rust out in a year or two.

Woodyd, Chidori and David H like this.
  7. KahunaKombi

As with what Wayne has posted - until exact engine is known hard to say what to go for - if a 1600 then you have to work some things out.
    As Col posted avoid Empi - look for a possible solution here http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/sc.12/category.2/.f ....... I put the Vintage Speed on my Type 3 and found the quality high, being stainless steel accepted it would discolor and bling lost on parts and the sound was not loud - just a sweet note from the 1600 engine purring away :cool:

8. Woodyd

Woodyd New Member

Thanks so much guys. Is 1800/2000. Sounds like stick with good quality standard is the consensus?

David H likes this.
  9. KahunaKombi

Can't go wrong with an Ernst for that true Komb sound

Woodyd and Mordred like this.
  10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Woodyd,
    Original exhaust on my 2000lt F/I & just 41 years young:cool:. Stock original is the go:D.
    Cheers

Woodyd likes this.
  11. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

But where does one get an NOS VW muffler? :confused:

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  13. KahunaKombi

The Bus Stop has them in stock - see Post #16 on page one ....... recall they were cheaper than the ones from JKA

14. Mr Beckstar

Is Ernst NOS? I thought there was an actual VW brand :confused:. As you can see, I'm easily confused.

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Won't be much if any NOS but they are OEM and same quality.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  16. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

How much would you pay for an original exhaust N.O.S. Leistritz is an original N.O.S brand one for sale on samba for 400 euros plus postage.
    Ernst is a good quality German brand that's been around for donkeys years. As mentioned above:rolleyes: OEM quality might be the best you can get. Send @bagman a PM and see where he got his.

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  17. John

John Member

Agree used Vintage Speed on our 66 Fastback and 64 Bus. Good quality product and nice note.

18. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

I got my Ernst on VW Heritage. decent price and was included in their free postage offer when I spent $250. Not hard when building an engine :)

David H likes this.
  19. Mr Beckstar

With Wayne’s help, I’ve got my eye on an NOS exhaust but it’s a 021 251 053 D. The exhausts on JK etc are 025 251 053 P. Does anyone know how I find out whether its right for the job? I’ve tried google and inconclusive.

20. KahunaKombi

I've a VW 1976 T2 ETKA (Parts List) and the part number stated there is 021 251 053 P ;) .... the D may mean it's a complete kit (gaskets & tail pipe .... nuts & washers???) where the P is only the muffler/silencer :rolleyes: OR a more country specific code?

There may be a slight difference but you'd have to ask the seller to confirm the part number and what's included :D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    cbus likes this.