Expectations of a Restoration

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Roy, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

This will not help many of you but i will say it anyway. i also learnt the hard way 6 years ago and am now on my 10th resto
    Long distance restos do not necessarily work (as we have seen), there are plenty of panel shops around, to find one close to you.
    This way you can keep an eye on the work quality, input and man hours
    If you feel the need to go long distance, treat it like a relationship, be in contact regularly, get to know the other person, search for recommendations from the 'horses mouth'
    Buy parts yourself (where ever you choose), you know what you are getting and see them go in. Even the paint, then YOU can choose the quality and price. There is a big difference in quality's of paint, You might also get a better deal direct !!!
    When parts are stripped take them away from the restorer for safe keeping, especially hard to find parts
    Pay a small deposit if necessary, $1k - $2k only. Pay interim payments only if you can see work being done and at pre-agreed stages
    Receipts and paperwork
    Vehicle details with photos.
    Take the compliance plate off and keep safe
    Try and get and keep to a schedule, you will not keep to the shedule but you shouldn't be far off, remember insurance work will take priority at most paint shops

You will never be 100% happy with a resto, do not expect to be. I am now on my 10th resto. i am between 75% - 95% happy with previous (mostly 95%), I always see something I could have done better. But if you see something that can obviously be better then say so
    I will only carry out my own restos, to my specs, reason is; I know opinions differ, so get your specs and expectations down on paper and talk it through with the restorer.
    Your restorer should tell you if your expectations are unobtainable, if you are not happy go elsewhere
    Getting a price, trouble is, a restorer will look at it two ways;
    1. price high to allow for hidden extras
    2. your bill doubles
    When I did my 59 split i agreed to pay the panel shop weekly. I visited thier workshop every week, they gave me an invoice for that week, I looked at what work had been done, then paid them. This way I kept a reign on expenditure too
    Alternatively, get a price and what that price includes down to the last nut & bolt, any extra work should be on agreed value prior to work being carried out. For example if the outer sill needs repairing at 'x' dollars then the inner sill is found to need repairs too this would be an extra 'y' dollars'
    The price would preferably be an part stages i.e. Panel, paint, interior, assemble
    Get an hourly price and try and equate man hours to a job say 2 men x 1 hour x $60per hour +$120.00

If you are doing your own resto, the very best of luck, you will enjoy the experience most of the time. Either way read the forums, ask questions no matter how absurd they sound. Look around you are surrounded by people in the same boat
    These are only my personal thoughts maybe someone can add there own

Cheers
    Roy

2. redhotchilliwilli

redhotchilliwilli New Member

a very good post roy ....................................................

3. kommodius

kommodius New Member

A most excellent and timely post mate.

Maybe it should be stickied for all of us to refer to.

Ray & da Boyz

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

One other thing that I have also found is follow you head and not your :heart:

While we all love to have sometimes the compromise is just as good :rolleyes:

5. Royce

Royce Active Member

And stop kidding your self if you think these things are "cheap". Especially if you are time poor and have to pay others to do stuff for you. Be prepared and love them regardless.

vassy69SC likes this.
  6. BelnMic

BelnMic New Member

GR8 advice for the new KC members like us. Thanks Roy :)

7. Golfy

Golfy Member

Re:- Roy.

Hi! Roy, What an excelent guide referrence. You have just given me some sound advice, and a great guide to follow on our other kombi that we are just starting. Always looking for sound advice. Lynn

8. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Roy this is a very good post....thank you for putting this up here.

I have & still are going through the resto process with our 59.
    Roy has made good valid points to follow & every person thinking of attempting to take a project on like this, truely give it alot of thought before going ahead.

It does take alot of money & the time line given by your panel beater in the beginning sometimes is not what eventually happens in most cases....
    things take more time, hidden nastys appear in your bodywork, parts take time to obtain/deliver, things/circumstances happen..etc etc...so always alot for more time than has been told originally for completion...then you don't get annoyed/disappointed etc....in some casses try not to set a deadline...

Realize when you do go to sell it 'one day' you will have people saying "Its not worth that much!!"
    maybe to YOU...but the person who restored that car spent alot more than you might think to get it in that condition....some people just don't realize how much of "everything"...time/money/materials/phone calls/running around/decisions/stress.. it took to get that car to what it now has become....

As Roy said:
    "You will never be 100% happy with a resto, do not expect to be"

Judy

9. cricketer

cricketer New Member

Thanks for the information Roy.
    I am new to the club and will be a first time kombi buyer. i want to pick something up that is running well with not too much work needed. What should i be looking out for? A good engine or minimal rust in the body. if i was to find one with rust then what sort of money would i be looking at to cut it out and have the Kombi completely resprayed. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike

10. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Mike Roy has another post on here about what your get/should look for in each price category.

I'm sure it will be a sticky and worth a look for you as a future buyer.

11. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

A combination of a sound engine and one with minimal to relatively no rust would be ideal, of course look out for the recent resprays in the cheaper end of buying a car, make sure you get evidence of the panel work, as they could have caked the panels with body filler to mask the rust.

12. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

Back to the thread - for me the "never 100% happy with a restoration" is part of the reason why we are going for a DIY resto. Sure I will still look at the flaws in the workmanship, but Emma keeps pointing out the great new skills I have developed and the great jog that has been done. I am coming round to her perspective - it is a lot more satisfying.

13. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

I should have read my own warning again before the latest resto !!

14. olly

olly New Member

thank you for your tips Roy, as i have just bought my very first 1976 highlight kombi and in the process of decking out the back for camping purposes. I need some ideas for the interior

15. 67micro

67micro Member

This is why I bought my latest kombi already done. Just jump in and enjoy

16. the dreaded elf

the dreaded elf New Member

Time has come for my girl to get some 'cancer' removed, and after my last experience , I am looking for 'word of mouth' .... I live in far norther nsw, and need to find a panel beater who will do this removal of the dreaded rust properly ... not just bog over the problem... I love my girl and want the best job possible. I have some structural work needed on the pillars between the front doors and the windscreen .... i know this is a huge job. Does anyone have any recommendations
    for a quality workman? anywhere from Bryron bay to Burleigh Heads? (ish) thanks so much ....

The Dreaded Elf

17. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Your lucky being that there are a few options.
    The most famous is Daus Resto Haus in Burleigh heads. Long wait times though as they are at the top of the food chain when it comes to restos that I know of.

Otherwise, also in that area is Maxauto (Thats his name on here). I have not dealt with Adrian but have seen his reto in the flesh and the work looks good. He has a panel shop that does not stick to just vw's.

Heard good things about kombi shop (Or similar name) in Byron. The good feedback is about upholstery don;t know about panels.

There is another GC based one called the Resto Shed. I Think they did the gold coast bulliten kombis. Don;t know how they are getting on now, but the looked cracking back then.

A good source is the VWMA mag as they have adverts throughout as well as a state by state advert section at the back.

18. the dreaded elf

the dreaded elf New Member

Thanks Brad,
    Ill get onto your links .....
    and your right about Das Resto Haus .... 18 month waiting list, and they only do full restos..... they did however put me onto someone they recommended at Kirra.
    huge sigh of relief...
    thanks again
    The Dreaded Elf

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  19. Jol

Jol New Member

You all seem to know what your talking about.... I bought my 73' Kombi a couple of months ago. Works fine but has a bit of rust and probably needs a bit of love!!

Happy to put in the hard work in terms of stripping it down but haven't got a clue technically how to put it back together so was thinking of sending it away to someone that can do a full restoration. Any advice about the process and what it will cost and how long it will take?

Also if anyone knows any good restorers in Adelaide/SA it'd be good to know.....

All I want to do is go cruising down the coast in it!!

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Make sure you do your homework well.

There are a few ,restorers, out there who are definate bog merchants with creative accounting departments who seriously destroy the dream.

Seems you have some at least a couple that are well regarded in adelaide so ensure you personally familiarise yourself with their work/costs/talk to a number of prev customers.
    Get quotes that give good detailed costings.

Good homework and understanding whats involved will pay dividents

dont pay heaps up front or give an open ended go ahead.

does it need a full resto at the mo. They are expensive.

Meet up with a few fellow dubbers localy and chat over your options then mull it over to formulate a good idea of what you want/need . And costs

cheers
    col

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012