external sun visor fitting

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by kombi van dan, Oct 1, 2010.

1. kombi van dan

kombi van dan New Member

ello

i just got myself a 2nd hand external sun visor in good nick... the problem is now that i dont know how these are fitted, ive never really had a good look at one before just seen them on and liked the look..

can any one help me with maybe some pictures and a few tips for getting it on?

thanks

2. evsky

evsky Member

They normally clamp down onto the drip rails @ the top of the A pillars did it come with alloy clamps and a few bolts on each end? If not u will need to get some for it.

3. kingnuggie

kingnuggie New Member

some clamp onto the drip rain and others use screws that go through the drip rail, depends on the style. Use stainless screws if you drill the drip rail and a touch of barium chromate paste on the threads to stop rust.

4. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I used some old screws I had in a jar - bad error, the screws quickly rusted and will need to be replaced as the damage seems to be spreading. :umm:

5. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Does anyone have any photos?

6. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

image.jpeg Mine have been on with rivets for 38 years without a problem .... Yes I did give them a polish before the photo shoot
    image.jpeg

KahunaKombi likes this.
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Guard on my Type3 is held on by self tappers x3 on each side ...... pop rivets give you a bit more space in what is a tight gap :eek:

bagman likes this.
  8. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention the tight gap - when i first got my kombi - it was held on with self tappers - in second image you just see the friction damage they caused before they were replaced with Rivets .

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah Mr B, noticed that ..... Paddy has them also and have thought about popping them :confused:

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Do you need to support the centre somehow?

11. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Not if its an original after market version of the '70's unless its and after, after market version that were made slightly wider , these had provision for a center support bracket , as I understand.