1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiamma awning gutter bracket with Sopru poptop

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by leithbro, Jan 17, 2019.

1. leithbro

leithbro Member

I've been looking at the never ending awning options for a 73 Sopru. I understand that this bracket:

https://www.justkampers.com.au/search/result/?q=J80049

would generally work, but the bloke at JK suspected (probably correctly IMO) that there may be issues with the poptop fibreglass interfering with the clamp. Apparently you don't need the back brace section for a T2.

Anyone fitted one of these to a pop top bus?

Or have any idea on a decent sail track awning which has removable side walls and support bars?

Sorry for another awning thread o_O.

Mark.

2. leithbro

leithbro Member

Or anyone just installed one period? There are two different types, and an eezi awn adapter available (plus the gowesty modified ones) as far as i'm aware. The fiamma brackets are $$$ for what they are, but the eezi awn don't look like they'd fit.

Cheers,

3. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the Australian ARB roll up bag awning? Tough, durable, light weight, attachable side walls available. No gutter mounts made here for the ARB but Campervan Culture, GoWesty and one other US mob do for T3's. I have a set of GoWesty stainless Fiamma/ARB gutter mounts - the only ones that fit the 80 - 85 T3 C section gutter and clear the pop top! Stainless steel, extremely strong and well made. GoWesty also do the T2 in black steel (I think). Try this:
    https://www.gowesty.com/product/awnings-screen-rooms/3995/awning-mounting-kit-?v=

4. leithbro

leithbro Member

Yeah, exactly. I just don't want to drill the side of the bus for an awning :/ It also looks like they've based theirs of the fiamma "t2/t3" which by the look of things will bend the t2 gutter.

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

6. leithbro

leithbro Member

Thank's David. I did see those - I'm a bit torn there as well. I really want to try to keep the awning low so I can have the sliding door open, and I'm trying to figure how to get one of those awning tents going on as well.

Like this(ish).

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/pr...m-adventure-kings-awning-tent-2-5-x-2-5m.html

I have one of those pitstop awnings which has been awesome, but I want to put that on the tail gate so I can have the back door open (with fly screen over the back) and use it as a bit of storage.

But.... Yeah....

Seems crazy it's this difficult.

David H likes this.
  7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I tried to get Fiamma brackets for the Toybus. After weeks of waiting for answer, I got this one. 64328704-F215-4DA4-9025-B5A72E12C4BA.png

leithbro likes this.
  8. peter915

peter915 Active Member

9. leithbro

leithbro Member

That's hectic Brian. I know JK do have some in stock. The T3 ones look like they deform the gutters on a T2 pretty badly Peter. That's why I'm surprised there isn't an equivalent option. Even the GoWesty ones seem to be based off the T3 Fiamma bracket, and I think they're powder coated steel? I like those north-westy ones though.

I wonder if the best fix might be to add a spacer inside the gutter section to fit the shape of the T2 gutter. The pillars on the T3 look a little wider than the T2 as well?

10. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Here are 2 detailed shots of he North Westy bracket Eric sent over when I was looking (don't now why they rotated - can't get them upright again - sorry). Note that this one snugs up tight to the inner face of the gutter unlike the GoWesty bracket which sits tight on the bottom double skins and clears the gutter wall. Hope these help with a tough decision:

OK, OK, OK. I'll reduce file size

11. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like another job for Dale ( Malcolm Engineering)....;)
    @kool_kombi 79
    Cheers,
    Mark

kool_kombi 79 likes this.
  13. oldman

Hey Mark, just a thought.....
    I, and others, have mounted the awning directly to the pop-top.
    This gives much better head room when getting in and out of the kombi when set up .
    Not your solution if you don't want to drill I know, but worth considering in my opinion.......
    I wanted to have my awning removable originally but the thought of mounting it then removing it, only to have to mount it again for the next trip made my decision easy.
    I have never regretted this decision and makes for a quick and easy setup when camping.
    I suppose it all depends on how much you get away in your bus........
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. leithbro

leithbro Member

Thanks Rob, yeah that will definitely crush my gutters.

How do you go with rain if you've got the top up Mark? I really wanted a setup where I could leave the door open and either screen it or attach an annex... Kind of want a set of rails mounted to the poptop which can be droped to the gutter and let you slide the awning down when it's up... But sound's elaborate.

I don't really care about drilling into the fiberglass BTW, just not fussed on drilling into the metal.

Thanks for the ideas :)

oldman likes this.
  15. oldman

Really well ! A discrete bead of silicone between the track and pop top means no drips over the sliding door....
    Can’t imagine having it setup any other way now......
    Cheers,
    Mark

leithbro likes this.
  16. leithbro

leithbro Member

Really....... What sort of awning Mark? Do you have to support the pop top, and did you bolt straight on or is there a bracket?

It would definitely be the easiest option.

17. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

The final part of my puzzle came from Camper Van Culture who make a drill free bracket just like the North Westy model. CVC sheepishly admitted that their drill free gutter mount may/will rattle and bang a bit when driving off the black top (i.e. gutter flex). My Trakka slim line pop top doesn't have scope to fit an awning to the pop top unlike the Bays. Oldman just might have your solution.

leithbro likes this.
  18. oldman

Check this thread....my setup is from post 72 onwards....
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/awning-reviews.18861/
    Cheers,
    Mark

19. leithbro

leithbro Member

Ah of course, I had seen that one! Looks good Mark. is that the 2.5 x 2.5? I think you've sold me.

20. oldman

Yup, 2.5 x 2.5.........I’ve also have a sidewall and extension unit as well.....great setup.
    Cheers,
    Mark