1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiamma awning

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by auschook, May 4, 2015.

1. auschook

auschook Member

I have just bought a Fiamma F35 Pro awning and am having problems fitting it to the side of my 76pop top kombi. I was told it slotted straight on to my sail track which it does but it doesn't seem to sit right, and is also a bit wobbly. Can someone pleeeeease advise me on what is the best way to fit it! Is it safe to put on fibreglass? Thanx guys look forward to your response

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd expect and not having experienced it but to put a sail track on a fibreglass poptop that has a level of flexible is of concern and could be part of the problem - depends on what you mean by sit right also

3. auschook

auschook Member

It turns out that these awnings weren't really made to go easily on to a pop top kombi. I got a quote today from a caravan repairer to make some special brackets and ha quoted me $750, what a f#%@ing rip off. I really don't know which way to turn now. Obviously there is no kombis out there that have one of these fitted!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  4. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Perhaps if you could post a few pictures, some other ideas could be put forward - L

5. KahunaKombi

6. auschook

auschook Member

image.jpg image.jpg I just checked out the gutter attachment on just kampers, it looks like it would fit. Not sure as gutter isn't very wide on kombi.

7. KahunaKombi

Looks like it is meant to fit into a sail track ???? design of JK product agrees with that assumption on checking :eek:

Kai I think works @ just kampers (or used to) and if he still does maybe he can help with measuring on his Kombi gutters for you and whether 2 will be enough :rolleyes:

8. KahunaKombi

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

sounds typical for some repairers . wouldn't go back there .
    Bert has indicated recommended fixtures as supplied by manufacturers.

I haven't fitted one but if you look at other threads about awnings there are two points to consider,
    the weight of an awning mounted to the pop top can require some stays to keep the roof from sagging under the weight of the awning when both are up.
    awnings mounted at gutter level can be just over head height.

If you decided to mount it on the pop top I would suggest that the sail track would need to be secured properly and need a strip of aluminium approx. 30x4mm running full length on the inside [glued on with sika to a clean surface] to spread load of securing bolts/rivets.
    would sika the track as well.

cheapest and easiest would be the gutter mounts from manufacturer. They also raise the awning slightly

10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Would wind be a danger if mounted to the pop top when up. A lot of racking force and the scissor mechanism that holds the pop top up.

11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't be mounting that set-up to a fibreglass pop-top.
    Pop-tops are only designed to keep water out, ie act as an elevated roof.
    I've never seen one that is thick enough to support anything of substance.
    I've mounted an Oztrail awning on mine but beefed up the pop-top with additional aluminium plates - along the lines of Col's suggestion - & buffered with white nitrile rubber to stop the rubbing….
    Page 4, posts 72 & 73 in this Thread:
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?18861-Awning-Reviews/page4
    Hope you get your's sorted out.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  12. KahunaKombi

Col, Chook wants to mount it on to the side of his pop top - he does not from the pics provided have a sail track so think the brackets are his only option - should also allow pop top to be popped ;)

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I recon it would be a considerable risk :)

would pay to drop pop top at slightest suggestion of a storm.

as Mark said.
    Damn thin bit of chopped strand glass and polyester plus most already have stress fractures.
    Also they are finely balanced on the frames so it wouldn't take much to twist the arms due to excess loading on one side.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

and I totally agree.

As Mark discovered, his awning required support while up.
    Seen others with similar issues but not looked closely
    In the back of my mind is the qn of how much heavier is the Fiamma unit. Supposed to be good quality so would expect weight penalty?

15. KahunaKombi

Ok so there are various models of the F35 Pro and size does matter according to the one you get - weight varies from 8.5kg to 14kg as does the width & depth (mmm sound familiar).

Up to chook to do some research to sort it out as he's got both items

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

17. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

you can mount with sail track but it is normally only used for flat wall installation.

[​IMG]

18. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

The awning on my '82 camper was mounted by the "professionals" as per the following photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look closely you will see an angle aluminium strip between the awning and the kombi. I did this as rain used to come in between the awning and the camper. This awning was fitted fifteen years ago and is still going strong.

[​IMG]

Ian

19. KahunaKombi

Thanks Kai for those pics - it looks different to what I thought it would based on pic on JKA site

20. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

the photos might be of the f45 awning brackets but the mounts around the gutter are the same.