1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding 15" T3 Syncro wheels

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Jayden, May 18, 2015.

1. Jayden

Jayden New Member

So much to learn.... Lucky you guys are ALL very knowable. The above info has certainly got me on the right track and saved me time. For the moment I'm going to get some 15" steelies and go from there. They are cheap and should be a good stepping stone. After I get a set with tyres I'll post a pic of the DOKA. Cheers again for those who helped.

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

We all love pics here. :)

Even before and after ones....... ;)

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Make sure that wheel nuts are included. Depending on the brand the VW nuts may not be suitable.

4. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I run Mercedes rims, ET31 15" X 6", on my Syncro with Cooper tyres, currently 225X70X15. They have proven to be excellent for the travel that I do.

[​IMG]

I purchased the required nuts from http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1303_340/mefro_lug_hardware.html

On the earlier '82 camper I used the same rims but had to fit studs in the front hubs. I notice Van Cafe now offer bolts.

Ian

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

The little grey cells did recall correctly - wasn't sure of size :confused: so didn't post :eek:

6. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

Is that your doka in your details looks sweet I would love to get your old mags what sort of tires is your next choice
    Welcome and cheers

7. Kombi Dad

I sourced four of my rims, part Number 203 400 0002, from MB Spares in Fyshwick. The other four were a Christmas present from my son. It may be worth giving MB Spares a call on 1300 787 300. A few years ago I went and saw MB Spares and they had none. Two days later they gave me a call and said they were wrecking a vehicle which had the same part number on the rims. Naturally I went and picked them up for $180.00. They were in excellent condition. What it meant is that I could use the same rims on the trailer I tow after fitting kombi hubs and have two spares when we travel.

Last weekend I sourced a very similar set of six rims for my son's T3 (my old yellow camper), part number 202 400 0002, from Nick at Volksparts here in Bungendore. I know there are two rims left out there but would need to be painted. It may also be worth giving him a call on 0412 345 126. Both part numbers are 15" X 6" with an ET31. I am not sure if Nick would have other merc rims that are suitable. I know that he prefers a 6.5" rim on his Syncro.

Ian

8. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

Somewhere on this site there is a thread all pictures and comments on wheels on kombis that I cant find now ?
    maybe someone can post a link if they know where it lives. well worth a look if your after an idea how they look and fit ?
    Cheers

9. Grantus

10. Jayden

Jayden New Member

For the moment I will keep the original wheels.

11. Jayden

Jayden New Member

image.jpg Before

Grantus likes this.
  12. Grantus

Tidy T3! :)

13. Jayden

Jayden New Member

image.jpg After

14. Jayden

Jayden New Member

15. Grantus

Looks the part for off road.......

But looks very noisy and uncomfortable for highway use.....o_O

16. Jayden

Jayden New Member

It also looks like you know from experience. Haha.
    My other T3 camper is for the highway. This one is for the dirt.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What are the wheels?
    Those wheel nuts do not look appropriate.

18. Jayden

Jayden New Member

Rims are merc 15"x 7" ET 37.
    Nuts are from the original mags on the T3.
    I explained to the bloke at the tyre shop that they aren't right however, he argued that they fit perfect. Lol.

19. Kombi Dad

Nice looking rims and tyres. They are the same as Nick from Volksparts uses on his Karman Gypsy Syncro.

You will probably have to go with a set of the nuts for the Merc rims in my opinion. They are available from Van Cafe as per my earlier post. Enjoy the ride. My rims have done about 150,000 km now and I have not had any issues.

Ian

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Nice :cool:
    Have had a set of those on my wish list for some time.
    Interested to have your feedback re noise/wet sealed road/off road improvement :) /clearances.
    They showed well in tests and actually not as bad as other MT in sand so appeared a good mud/rocky trail biased all rounder ?
    did you stick with the 215/75/15?

General Qn for all
    Did all syncro have the extended rear trailing arm or just the 16" wheel version?