1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding VW Part Number

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Mr Beckstar, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

No, I’ve been working all day so far so no time to check anything out further.

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

3. KahunaKombi

4. Mr Beckstar

David H likes this.
  5. Mr Beckstar

Anyone know what the idea is of that shield that's bolted to the underside of Bagman's bumper?

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

211707399 Is also named Heat shield /Muffler Cover / Gravel Guard. Depends on where you read and to what people call it.:confused:o_O Part Number and a few names supplied . I used to know it more as a Muffler cover to which it hides the muffler as it is lower then the bumper bar.

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  7. KahunaKombi

8. Mr Beckstar

That’s a different thing Kahuna. I just fitted a heat shield supplied by 1500king as well and it’s up above the muffler out of site in the photo. This parts looks much easier to fit :confused:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  9. Mr Beckstar

Is it just aesthetic or does it contribute somehow to keeping parts cool? Could it perhaps deflect cool air up and around the muffler to reduce the heat in that area that’s radiated onto the foam seal and rear tinware? I’ve installed the muffler heat shield (the one between the muffler and the rear tinware) but I’m still finding the rear tinware is getting hot.

10. KahunaKombi

Think best thing to do is ask Bagman ...... maybe just a decorative cover for the bland grey muffler :rolleyes:

11. Wayne murray

It basically is a decorative cover to hide that exhaust. :eek: As the exhaust is lower then the bumper bar, It doesn't do much else in my opinion :rolleyes:

David H, MAP77 and Mr Beckstar like this.
  12. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

My heat shield is missing and I have bought a new one but haven’t fitted it yet. But I reckon it would definitely prevent heat rising from the exhaust.

This gem is rolled out regularly but has anyone actually been able to buy anything other than consumables such as filters etc for a pre 1990 VW from a dealer this decade?

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  13. Wayne murray

The heat shield would deflect heat from the exhaust but the deflector on the bumper bar (in photo above post#23)I would think it wouldn't do mucho_O in my opinion

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  14. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Yeah, fair enough that doesn't do much - I t is one of the not very deluxe additions you get with a deluxe mucrobus

15. Mr Beckstar

Oh, so it was only the microbus deluxe with the deflector/stone guard/whatever it’s called. Yes, that would make it decorative I guess.

16. Mr Beckstar

Anyway, back to the original question, how did you find that part number Wayne? :confused:

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

It really is good bait.:D

I actually bought a lot of parts for my T3 Doka around 2014/15.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  18. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

As Umberto said. Heat shield fits above muffler to 'shield' from heat of the muffler. The 'gravel guard/muffler cover' was on mid 70's bays. Came and went. Just aesthetic?
    My muffler hides behind a tow bar. Don't tow but its a nice bit of protective steel across the rear.

19. Wayne murray

The long and the short of it all :confused: is that I simply went to a few VW spare parts places and searched what I was looking for (Muffler ) Some VW places have parts numbers displayed. I then googled that part number to make sure it match items description and bingo you have part number. There is probably a site that has part numbers to find the parts you want also microfische like you mentioned is another if you are lucky to have it.o_O. Hard to get is part number supply book I've also seen,but normally only vw places and dealers had them.:(

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  20. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Sure is;). Or it's there to channel heat into the muffler area & then to the heat deflector plate above:p.
    Cheers