1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fireproofing your Kombi... a must read for all Kombi owners.

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Schmoburger, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

While in Bunnings the other day, we bought a 1kg dry powder fire extinguisher for $20... much heavier than the standard car extinguisher we already had from an auto store, and it has a pressure gauge and bracket... almost a compulsory purchase at that price.

2. gypsy

gypsy New Member

As a new kombi owner I have of course heard all the rumours about VW's catching on fire blah blah. It is refreshing to know I have some info on hand so I can learn all this stuff ! As a girl also, it is hard to know the difference between all the hoses and bits and pieces back there ( Although I'm sure there are many ladies that DO know whats going on!! ). Does anyone have any ideas of a book or manual where i can get a neat and general diagram of the engine so I can check and learn things for myself :D

Thanks !!

3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I reckon your best bet is to get a copy of a Hayne's or Gregory's manual for your model and definately borrow from the library or better still buy a copy of John Muir's How to keep your Volkswagen Alive.(up to edition 20 I think) You would be able to look at the other manuals at the library to see which one suits you better. John Muirs book is entertaining and informative and has lots of tricks and experience which make the manuals easier to understand.

Regards
    Adrian

4. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Lovely ! - Thanks for you help ! I know what Ill be doing this weekend .........

5. dan_b

dan_b Member

havent seen my van yet but im going to replace all fuel hose's, were should i get sum and what brand

6. dbs

dbs Member

Just discovered this thread and read it from start to finish,... very good info... missing 1 other important point...
    Clamps!
    don't use cheap ones, use clamps with rolled edges. The cheap ones, especially if tightened up to much are likely to instigate a cut appearing around the hose. eventually this will result in a half cut hose that hinges back revealing a mouth that spews forth fuel... the rolled edge clamps will not do this.
    ;)

7. FlatOut

FlatOut New Member

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html

Hello all. Glad to contribute.
    New member as of yesterday so my first post.
    Just doing up my 76DC. All the usual things incl new motor, gear rod bushes while the box is out, CV's fuel lines, injectors cleaned, P&P heads, clutch everything and balanced.
    Pistons and barrels on tonite - sorry too late for a write up but ...

Daz

8. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

As mentioned before, we all keep our kombi's close to our hearts....& we need to think of their best interests as well :)
    Pouring our hard earned cash into them is great but they need to be protected...thats where a fire extingusher comes into this...
    Please invest in one.. they don't cost much considering the damage a fire costs...
    Please attach them in your car in a handy spot...preferably near the drivers seat somewhere....as there is ALWAYS someone in that seat...& it needs to be reached for very quickly, so place it somewhere close...
    Lets hope you never need to use it....but good to know its there if you do...
    Judy

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I agree with Judy and stress that you need to be able to get your extinguisher quickly. Car type extinguishers are very small so you only get one go at puting out an engine fire! The quicker that you get to it, the smaller the fire.

And please anyone with an electric fuel pump, make sure that it has a safety cut out. You don't wan't to be fighting a fire that has a continuous petrol feed.

10. dan_b

dan_b Member

also dont have a lock on your engine hatch, could be abit hard to get yoyr key in to it to open it up and fight a fire.
    as for were i put the extinguisher i have mine under the l/h front seat facing out ready to use- hope that day never happens tho

11. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

make sure you all take the fire extinguisher and give it a shake every mth . i just did a fire training course and used my fire ext from my van and guess what , it was next to useless.
    now i have been issued with a new one , its on my safety check list every mth to do , and yep seeing it for my own eyes PLS SHAKEM !!

12. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Tom, how long had you had that extinguisher in susie? i have had mine about 14 months. havent shaken yet though. oops susy.

13. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

No brian it was the one in the raa van , we were practising putting out engine fires with our old extinguishers on a wrecked car , and mine was next to useless as the powder had just clumped to the bottom of the extinguisher now with my new ext im shaking it !!!!

one othe thing i went out on a breakdown to a beetle the other day and guess what i spotted the fuel line into the carburettor just about to come out the brass nipple just hanging on by a wisker . so pls pls pls

make sure you have your hoses wire tied as per the picture in this post and the hoses are the correct size and brand this is an absolute must do this weekend

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  14. Barnesey

Barnesey New Member

Hi all Just read through this thread and thought i would share what happened to me only a few months ago.After looking for some time my son and i found a 73 Deluxe Bay(not running) so we trailered it home(Sunbury) and started to look for a mechanic to get it running. Accelarator cable stuck and pedal demolished. We trailered it to a Mechanic in Huntingdale to service and repair accelorator. we asked for fuel lines to be changed etc.Two weeks later it was right to drive home, the machanic said he changed all the fuel lines and put in fillters. Great heading home on Monash i did not want to go over 80, about 10klm in istarted smelling petrol and thought it may have been a result of the work. Further down the road i notice the petrol gague had dropped dramaticaly (my previous Kombi although some 25years earlier, ran on a oily rage) Thought it was the gauge.Stopped twice to check no leaks visable (made the mistake of turning the motor off) Once i got home i checked again and then turnned the motor on, the petrol was squirting out of the ends of the hoses to the carbies and the filtters at a rate of about 100mm a minute. Don't know how it did not combused and take the whole thing with it. There were no clamps at all, i rang the Mechanic and told him in words i won't repeat what had happened and he said you can't clamp the filters and that it was new hose and he had never had a problem before. Hence i have a new machanic, all lines are clamped. i will now wire them. I do not know how Alice the kombi is not sitting in a reckers all burnt out ecept that some one was smilling on her that day.

Cheers Glenn

15. dbs

dbs Member

must be some new hi tech hose :umm: obviously not compatible with old classics..

scary story glenn,... glad it worked out ok...

We have a recommended mechanics thread... maybe we should have a "be wary of these guys" thread.

16. grumble

grumble Active Member

I have had a few cases recently where the fuel hoses were changed but I am assuming that the fuels have ethanol or some other additive in them and overnight they will swell and become loose on the fitting.This roll of fuel hose has been used for over 12 months and this is the first time that fuel has affected the hose.Unfortunately in this particular case the hoses weren't clamped because there was no pressure o them,i have now rectified this using clamps.

17. london_mike

london_mike New Member

I asked about lockwire in Bunnings and Autobarn today and in both places they looked at me like I'd just asked for a tub of elbow grease. :wtf: They had no idea what I was talking about even after I explained what I wanted to use it for.
    Is it just standard wire ?

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

For discussion

I would suggest that if anyone has a fire in engine bay DONT open engine hatch wide open. This will give fire more air with possible disastarous results.

Turn IGN off

A quick burst [1 sec ea]down each vent then just crack rear hatch to insert nozzle and give a blast.

Stand to side of hatch when opening and expect the worst,

Dont breath in while opening hatch. Keep head back.[worst injuries are inhalation of hot gasses]

If you dont want to open hatch, pump the lot down the LH vent[no battery in the way in engine bay]

col

19. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Yeah just some tie wire or similar will do.

20. davidp.

davidp. Member

Don't Wait -do It Today

I read Tom's advice about wiring your fuel lines to the carbies and thought...I must do that one day. Well, yesterday, I wished I had as it would have avoided a near disaster. Driving home yesterday when my van started to splutter and I thought I could smell fuel. Luckily, I pulled over straight away and it just died. The fuel smell was then more evident and it wouldn't start. I jumped out, opened the engine hatch and fuel was pouring out ( in my haste I had left ignitiion on, so quickly jumped back in and turned it off) from the right hand carby fuel line...yep...just as Tom said the brass tube had come out of the carby and had sprayed fuel everywhere. ..hadn't caught fire (DAMN LUCKY) but I was scared it still could ignite.
    I pushed the tube back in and it felt tight, waited a while for the engine to cool a bit and very slowly drove the couple of kilometres home, stopping a couple of times to check engine.
    MORAL : Do as Tom suggests....don't wait - wire up your fuel lines TODAY.
    It took only a few minutes.
    Cheers,
    David