Fireproofing your Kombi... a must read for all Kombi owners.

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Schmoburger, Jul 22, 2006.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Blazecut.com.au

2. Sahara Hilton

Sahara Hilton Member

This is a salutary warning from 2015, reproduced from the "Canberra Times" - CT : 4 November 2015 edition.
    Fortunately, when we had a perished fuel hose, the Sahara Hilton was parked 'resting', and the smell of dripping petrol became really obvious. (Our 'daily drive' is a Diesel.)
    After carefully draining the Tank, minimising spillage as much as possible, new hoses fitted.
    Thank goodness, we had not been driving it !
    The picture below is posted as a warning to revive this Topic for any who have not checked their fuel hoses lately,
    let alone not doing as is recommended of replacing them periodically, etc.
    READ BACK ON THIS TOPIC !
    IF you have a fire in the engine bay USE YOUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER - Well, you do have one aboard don't you ?!!
    .. 20151104 CT  ykd30w  blue and white KOMBI fuel fire CT  .jpg

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That pic was a “still” from a vid taken by a driver in the RH lane.....

The vid shows how dramatic the situation can be!:eek:

Sahara Hilton likes this.
  4. David H

Love my blazecut having had 2 kombi engine fires. Helps me drive relaxed:rolleyes:;):):D. Best addition I've ever done to old boy!:p
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  5. David H

Did mine last year after two leakages whilst at panel shop. Refueled & that just drained to ground. Repaired one side of fuel filter entry. Refueled again & did it (leaked all fuel out) again from the other side of fuel filter:(. Old fuel lines but thankfully whilst idle in panel shop. No Spark!! All replaced since:cool:. Yours is a very timely reminder to all of us that this is an important part of keeping our buses 'healthy'. Thanks for the reminder & here's my extinguisher Fire ext kombi.jpg2.jpg
    Cheers

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

In the process of removing the engine for a refurb and was bit surprised at how loose the fuel line connections were for the fuel filter located under the tank. Twas between tank and electric pump so low pressure but still a worry! My bad! Memo to self: check fuel lines more often!
    Will check all lines and breather system while engine is out.

David H likes this.
  7. David H

Replace;) all fuel lines. Much cheaper than a fire. Do you have a blazecut Alpal?
    Cheers

8. Alpal

No. Been punting a Kombi for 40 years without. Life on the edge!

David H and oldman like this.
  9. Sahara Hilton

Sahara Hilton Member

I did look at www.blazecut.com.au which you posted at the top of this page last February.
    Candidly, I wasn't sure what was most applicable from that website.
    I do applaud the picture of your Extinguisher, but could you please elaborate a bit on your being 'relaxed' with -
    "Love my blazecut .. Best addition I've ever done to Old Boy" ?
    Alpal's "living on the edge" is probably everyone's reality, even with an Extinguisher on hand.
    A hot engine, sources of ignition, and a fuel tank installed 'above' both dripping, and our limited capacity to quench a re-ignitning petrol fire with a dry-powder Extinguisher is a truly terrifying scenario. (AND those lovely aerodynamic intake vents providing fire-fuelling Oxygen, only made all the more into an efficient chimney when the engine hatch below is opened ! )
    Oh dear, it is a worry .. living on the edge !
    All the more reason to take simple, sensible good-maintenance precautions, etc.
    Cheers, indeed.

p.s. Love that Parquetry floor, too ..

10. Sahara Hilton

Sahara Hilton Member

Thank you. WATCHING THAT leads on to more youtube Kombis ablaze.
    There is also specifically -
    JOGR BLAZECUT Automatic Fire Suppression System

and
    installing the Blazecut Fire suppression system

etc., etc.,
    EXCELLENT ! Convincing advertorials .. no wonder David H is 'relaxed and comfortable'.

p.s. CameraCar just drove off !
    The driver of the Kombi seems amazingly laconic .. strolling around to get his Extinguisher, no doubt. ..
    Mk.2
    p.p.s Goodness, I didn't realise those two youtube links would transform, but I shall leave them alive ..

11. Alpal

My potential fuel leak was outside engine compartment. Blazecut is contained in engine area so would not help.

12. Sahara Hilton

Sahara Hilton Member

My latest amusement in this context, and another current Thread about "eBay scams", is coincidentally that there is a eBay USA source of a 4_metre (meter USA !) BlazeCut. $US250.
    HOWEVER, forget that - << NO SHIPPING TO: Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, The Philippines, Israel >>
    One of the BlazeCut-related youtube videos that I have just watched, includes some extra Q&A info., advising that a Kombi needed a 3_metre 'hose', not a 2_metre one.
    A 4_metre could presumably be more difficult to fit another metre's tubing , although the retardant it contained should provide extra one-time-use protection ?
    I suppose that it does measure more than three metres around the perimeter of the Bay's floor-engine-hatch lid.
    A youtube demo on how to fit a BlazeCut in a Bay shows it simply being held up with cable-ties.
    There seems to be a small gauge on the one end of the flexible, white extinguishant-containing tube, that shows whether it is still charged.
    Even more food for thought. But no BlazeCuts via eBay ..

13. David H

Man after my own heart Alpal ;) but you only get one fire per Kombi:rolleyes:? Okay I got lucky & had one in each & both survived but all that alloy whence going is going to leave town quick:p.
    Some issues ATM with Aust distribution I believe thus the 'no shipping bit'.
    Seems distribution arguement is for other countries as well. 68Bus imported his independently before they were available in Aust.
    The amazing part is no toxic residue:D unlike red fire extinguishers.
    3 metre just right for the space & job I hope it never has to do;).
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/76-sopru-resto.54261/page-11 post 214
    Cheers

14. Sahara Hilton

Sahara Hilton Member

Thank you for confirming that 3_metres was your BlazeCut system.
    And Old Boy does have a back-up red fire extinguisher, too.
    Belt AND Bracers - Excellent !
    NEVER having to use that system is best of course, so monitoring the state of, and periodically replacing Fuel Hoses, is prudent.
    Thanks again. Cheerio.

David H likes this.
  15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

We have a KC member in Newcastle that sells them.

David H likes this.
  16. Sahara Hilton

Sahara Hilton Member

AH ! Thank You Melissa.
    And among the latest news is - No More DIY ?
    A BlazeCut apparently has now to be Installed ? - First find a Seller, then find an Installer ?
    AND I have now found the OTHER_relevant_KC_Thread - which is another five pages to read ..
    Installing a BlazeCut fire suppression system
    Of many, Grantus's Post of August 2017 seems most relevant -
    You may need to be a DSK member to read the full thread:

http://www.dsk.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24797

The info in one post 8 Aug 2017, states an enquiry reply:

"I regret to inform you that at this stage due to national licencing requirements in Australia, the supply of the BlazeCut fire suppression systems is on hold.
    We are in the process to re-evaluate the supply channels for Australia."

Tracking all this is like pulling teeth .. very, very Slowly ..
    Now to try that dsk.com.au website. .. which ( Ah ! ) I may have to join ..
    ( Goodness, did Grantus kindly join der split konnection - so many Orders to be Obeyed ! )
    Now, I think I shall just buy a second little red fire extinguisher. ( And yes, Aldi had some on sale recently; along with that boom-box cassette-player the size of a shipping container. )
    I do like the strip lighting in David H's, showing his 3m BlazeCut, there too. Read all about it, THERE.
    I shall stop here, now. Bye.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018