1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewall seal - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Stormin12345, May 28, 2021.

1. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Hi folks,
    As my motor was out (first time for me) of my ‘74 I thought a good opportunity to remove a few screws and see what is happening under the firewall. Of course removing a few screws turned into half an hour of battling with breaking the sikaflex seal that the PO had put on to seal it. The good news is all is well behind the firewall, no rust or tank issues. My question is now, once I have cleaned up the firewall and picked all the old sikaflex off it, what is the best way to reseal it? I don’t know what was there originally, it makes sense that it needs a seal, what do people recommend? I don’t see anything made for the job from JK, Micks etc. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Just a foam rubber seal.
    About 1cm wide by 4mm thick.
    Glue on with contact cement

3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

good time to replace all of the rubber connectors on the tank breather system

oldman likes this.
  4. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

Don’t forget the fuel filler neck whilst you are at it, access through the paint tin lid very easy with the engine out. This was mine!

Attached Files:

5. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Fantastic thanks all I will go shopping and take a closer look at that rubber!

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Something non flamable?