1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First major ride

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by francispj, Oct 18, 2008.

1. francispj

francispj Member

After a lot of replacement parts-shocks, ball joints, cv's,wheel bearings, tie rod ends,replacment motor-1800 etc etc I took my '75 bay for a ride through the hills of Adelaide . Even though I had my wheel alignmet / balance done the Van still has wandering tendancies .Also ,the Bay lurches from side to side after cornering and doesn't centre very well - I had also replaced the steering damper.didn't feel safe over 80 kpm.:umm:
    I do have the tyre pressures up a bit -38psi but surely tat wouldn't cause the body roll / steering issues i have-it is my first Bay so I am a newbee
    My oil temp hovered around the 100c moving up to 120 on the hills so I don't think thats bad but boy is this girl a bit weak.
    I did the timing, new plugs points so it probably is as good as its going to get but I would have liked a little more- I was forever pulling over to let others through- seems to peak out at about 5000 rpm.
    I may have to let others have a look at it.
    I really would value some more experienced imput:)

2. MatB

MatB New Member

I did the very same this weekend. Replaced all the same and took a run down the ocean road. I think this is how 30 year old kombi's drive. Lots of roll, top cruising speed below 100kpm and the slightest sidewind gets a floating response. Get used to letting more modern machinery pass and allow an extra 1/2 hour to get everywhere.

3. francispj

francispj Member

I notice my front end is a lot higher than the back section- is it adjustable;, could that be a factor ?

4. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Hey all,

My advice would be to take it easy for few hundred K's... I had the ball joints replaced when I first got my van a few years ago. I noticed straight away that she handled differently (not for better). Long story short I took it easy for a while and the handling improved.

I have heard that the ball joints take a little while to wear in... I can't say for sure but with all that work you have had done I rekon that you use the car lots but be gentle for a while and get used to the car, the experience and the stuff you need to keep an eye (and ear) on. You and the car will soon get used to each other and you'll be on top of the world!

If you do have that sick feeling get in contact with the place who did the work. I think it's a reasonable request to arrange a time when they can take it for a run and give it a quick look over for you.

keep us posted!
    Phill.

5. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

6. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

Are you running radials or biased ply? Radials make them drive a lot better and 38 is to high. Kombis will always have some roll to them and with time you get used to it. You also get used to getting passed a lot on hills!

7. francispj

francispj Member

Thanks for the imput

Valued remarks, acually the mechanic did say the ball joints could take a while to loosen up nad I will drop that tyre pressure- found the steering so tough after years with power assisted cars so will have to relearn my driving expectations.
    T

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Could also be a bad wheel alignment. It is very hard to get someone to do a good wheel alignment. Don't get it done at a tyre service.

9. francispj

francispj Member

set tyre pressures to 32 but would a sway bar help?

I did the pressures to 32 but wondered do we get the sway bars that the yanks get. has any one fitted them

10. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

When you look under the front, is there a thin bar across in front of the axle beam? If this stabiliser bar is missing or broken, it could affect your steering.

11. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the aftermarket swaybars myself (they're on the list but!), but I've heard they greatly improve handling in kombi's.

12. francispj

francispj Member

Great advise

Hey Van housing man- you were right - I have no stabiliser bar at all- PO must have discarded it foir some reason - so I'm getting another.
    This Forum is really excellent for novices like me- so thank you all

13. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Thanks Phill!
    We arent all bad you know!
    In fact I reckon you should get it done at a tyre joint cos we see tyres and how they wear all day everyday and do the wheel alignments to how the tyres are wearing,NOT to the specs sheet!
    All the dealerships I know of who offer a wheel alignment service either; contract it out to a tyre joint or; do it themselves then the customer comes to me in 3 months time spewin that the tyres have chewed out on the inner edges!
    Sorry Phill, nothing against you, just a minor rant.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  14. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Also depends if you have light truck tyres or passenger car tyres. 38psi isnt too high if you have light truck tyres. if you have passenger car tyres then 34psi would be preferable.

15. Schnidlee

Schnidlee Member

i have one in adelaide ill swap for a carton of pale if your interested? im going to HD so wont be needing mine. give me a buzz 0422404264. cheers
    matt

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Just 98%

I would prefer the specs sheet.

Sorry, but I just hear so much BS from wheel aligners.

"Because you have mags the camber will be out"

"Golfs do not have a camber adjustment"

and charge twice the price

Don't they blame that on roundabouts!

I have seen very few people in Sydney that do wheel alignments correctly.

17. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Wow ! I have no idea how to split the quotes!
    There are many contributing factors to wheel alignments, and lowering/raising a car is one of them. Worn shock absorbers is another. Specs arent always good to follow if a car has severe toe in issue and the specs say to toe it in anyway,common sense would say to toe it out a bit, yes?

18. francispj

francispj Member

new HD sway bar ordered from Roy yesterday