First WA Meetup

Discussion in 'WA' started by kombicam, May 6, 2007.

1. kombicam

kombicam New Member

Well that was a nice lunch with my son and a solid chat with Dean(Agingsurfer)..Nice place and ship loads of people...
    How the day went.....
    With no agreed method of Kombi club member identification I decided Jackson and I would wear our best Split kombi Tshirts in the hope that if another member spotted these we would have a start point of conversation...off we set.
    We entered Freo outskirts and fired up the kombi spotting game and Dad took an early lead..absolute chaos from 1k out of town...bad sign....some sort of festival in progress was the word...quick ubolt and retreated to the meet up place of little creatures...parking was going to be hard yards..Passed some nice Kombis and this put Jackson in the lead as Dads concentration was on the crazies in front. Did a driveby on the pub and saw an interested pedestrian to whom I gave the McKay Peace Kombi wave and got a wide grin and a wave in return. Found a park 2 days walk away and commenced the stroll back to Little Creatures for a nice Ale. Met the "interested pedestrian" out the front, who turned out to be the above mentioned member, and had a chat over a nice beer. We kept a solid eye out for obvious signs of Kombi Club members but nothing was coming into view. We did see the Yellow Crewcab make an appearence and it sounded like it was running well.
    I had no idea how big the place was so we took a walk through to the back with hope of spotting someone Kombi, even got the waitress to ask a table of possibles but to no avail. So with a hungry 10 year old in tow we decided to have a feed and another big beer and more conversation.
    After a couple of hours it was time to get on the move again as the 10 year old was beginning to get fidgety ...so Agingsurfer and Kombicam agreed to depart the location and maybe arrange another meetup in the future at a less populated location where we could have coffees, admire/converse over each others kombis and maybe draw a crowd without even trying....
    Overall it was a good day even though we did not have the opportunity to meet other members .......perhaps next time ladies and gentlemen????

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

We did turn up at brewery, after also parking heaps away, then we had to get through the big crowd in the park at the festival. When we got there ang seen no kombis, we were then lost as i fogot my mobile as i had diannes number. We went in and had no idea who to look for, srangely enough we met 2 people from the mount in there, i should say one there and one over in the park and they not together either. I asked the lady who worked there if any kombi people were there but she just looked at me stupid.Di was there but she had to park long way away so she was in same boat, did not knw who to look for, so after couple hours or so they headed back to where they were staying. The plan was the right idea but first meet was not the go in freo, as it was a bit of a mad place. I think you all need to try again,but go some where where you can all parh together. There are a lot of kombis here in perth, we seen 7 today and none were from kombi club.

cheers brian and cathy

3. shannon

shannon New Member

Much the same here had a chat to the people in the dual cab right out front when they were trying to find a parking spot.. then went inside to try to find some more KCers but couldnt, got a drink , went back outside and the dual cab had gone. didnt even think about how we were going to meet up, wasnt expecting it to be so busy hey. Next time i am going to wear my big VW symbol on a chain around my neck, might get some looks but hey might meet som more KCers.

4. Aging Surfie

Aging Surfie New Member

Yip I have the same story as the above. On the way home I spotted three Beetle's & Five Kombis before I left Freo.
    Really nice to meet Cam and Jackson. What a great lad Jackson is and boy was he hungry. I have never seen anyone inhail a Pizza like that. He's a credit to you Cam.

Brian & Kathy are you in Waikiki now. What your contact details ?

Deano

5. kombicam

kombicam New Member

Hey Deano,
    Thanks for that positive, always good to hear that what you are doing seems to be working. Remember kids and dogs....same principals hahahaha(or should that be LOL).I am trying to ensure he has a good comprehension of right and wrong at all levels. His comment on the way back to the car was typical of Jackson and summed up his experience, Thanks Dad that was a great lunch..
    It seems we did missed some people but I think we underestimated how may people would be there for the day
    Looking forward to next time..maybe a meet up for a coffee and a gentle cruise. I would be interested in getting Jackson to watch you surf sometime to start to build his confidence in the deeper water. I'll send you a PM..

6. 77bay

77bay Active Member

Well done guys, good to see things happening in the west. How about some photos?

7. kombicam

kombicam New Member

Sorry 77 Bay i forgot my cmaera and as it was absolute chaos in Freo on the weekend not many of us got to meet up. I think next time we will opt for a nice beach side park with a big carpark and bbq areas so we can appreciate each others busses a bit more.
    Maybe next time...

8. kombicam

kombicam New Member

Sorry we missed you Brian and Cathy and you to Shannon but you experienced the chaos at least.
    next time

9. kevo

kevo New Member

Yep i went in my mates 66 split because the V8 Kombi's started motor shat itself!!!

we had a good cruze to freo from oceanreef down the coast along with a mates clean 77' bay also which was fun!

but we got there too late anyway so i didnt meet up with any of u guys tho, we will have to meet up again some time in the near future when my big list of parts have been bolted on to the yella bus

cheers guys

kevo

10. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

hi WA, we are home. had to leave 5 days earlir as had family crisis. left wednesday morn and got home friday night. Very sad we never met up in that rat race place freo. Were meant to leave today but got phone call last tuesday from young bloke. they are moving to perth next weekend when we weremeant to get home. so cathy said we must go now as have to spend some time with her baby boy and grand kids. Left pert wed morn drove to norseman, easy drive. then next day left noresman and drove to ceduna, 1209 ks in 11 and half hours, then next day ceduna to mount 1259 ks 13 hours. not much speeding that can remember, but will check the mail for any tickets that might come.

cheers brian

i really hope all you guys can get wa on the move.

11. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

we will be back over at xmas 2008, it will be a slow trip this time as we are planning to drive bessie across. we only seen 2 kombis on the highway, one at port a gutter on the way home and one at coolgardie also on the way home, but no time for pics. we were jumping out of our seats waving at them but i think there was a light on up stairs but no one home, in either bus.

cheers brian and cathy