1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Aux Battery in Engine Bay good or bad???

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Airfireman, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Airfireman

Airfireman Active Member

Gday all,

i have a 130a/hr aux gel battery to install for my bay but unsure whether to fit in engine bay or inside??

I have heard that fitting in engine bay will decrease air flow for engine cooling?? is this right??

I suppose it makes sense as you are restricting both air intakes (2 x battery)

Thanks

Tim

2. larrywaves

larrywaves Member

I heard GEL batteries don't like the heat. It does get hot in there.

3. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

I would put it inside personally.
    I don't think the LHS is constructed to take the weight.

4. Airfireman

Airfireman Active Member

Ok..

Main reason for considering moving battery to left rear is that i will have most of the weight of my Kombi on the RH/S,,,driver, water tank, camper interior cabinets/cupboards with equipment stored and putting a 35kg battery down that side as well will not help weight distribution.

I was going to install under R&R bed but have decided to keep this space for extra goodies, it too good a space to loose.

Behind passenger seat will be fridge and cooking equipment.

Thanks

Tim

5. nickc

nickc Member

I've installed a 30kg 100 amp hr agm battery on the left side and no problems. It is a purpose built area for a second battery as far as I know.
    Nick

6. Airfireman

Airfireman Active Member

How long have you had battery installed there Nick??

Thanks

Tim

7. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

I don't know if left side is designed to carry a aux battery but it is the most popular place to put a leisure / spare battery .
    So far no engine temp issues . Take care to measure the height of the intended battery as room is very tight under the spare wheel well .
    Good luck Mark

8. Airfireman

Airfireman Active Member

Tomorrow i will measure up and check, does not look like alot of room

Thanks

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

had to "relieve' the wheel well for a 120 amp to fit.
    dont know about airflow but instinct says its constricting flow a bit.

10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Most campers with an aux have it mounted in the LH side. Have a look at the size of the air intake into the engine fan and if the total area of air flow into the engine compartment is bigger then you are in business.

11. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

i have my second battery mounted on the left hand side. travelled around a bit and had no trouble with excess heat.
    been there for a year now and been along the coast in very hot weather, 40 degrees plus and ran very well
    Steve

12. fancy-bug

fancy-bug Member

Hi, my bus has has a battery both sides since it was built, it's a U.S. import westy Berlin campmobile.

All the standard wiring and charging system was all fed to the Lhs corner before I took out and bought up to modern spec.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

120 Ah AGM battery "River" something fits well on its side on the left side....it doesn't care ..........however it will be replaced at the end of its life with a lithium FePh under the rock and roll bed

14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I have mine on the left side but am looking to move it under the bed in a box soonish. It does take up a lot of space in the vent area and it can only be inhibiting the flow.

15. Airfireman

Airfireman Active Member

Thanks for the input all,

I will try to store the battery in the rear, it does look like I will need to make a minor adjustment to the spare wheel arch, but it wont ever be used to carry a tyre, just another space I have available (Tyre jack, tools).

I agree that you are taking up space for air flow, if you don't try you don't know :)

Cheers all

Tim

16. Airfireman

Airfireman Active Member

Ok battery fitted, a slight tap to spare wheel arc and its in there.

Not much room for airflow, I have an oil temp gauge so will keep an eye out

Thanks

Tim

17. Lois lane

Lois lane Active Member

Good luck with your setup Airfireman.
    Had my camper in to Mike at CBB today for a service and asked him the question,
    Second battery In the engine bay or under the bed?
    He said he has installed many in the engine bay with no problems with overheating.
    He also said he would only recommend a Red Arc dual battery relay for the aux battery.
    If a gel battery is installed under the bed (in a box)it also must have a hole for airflow as they give off fumes.
    Thought I would share this info

18. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

19. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Anyone who has done any study in fluid dynamics would not be worried one iota about a second battery in an engine bay restricting air flow.
    Air is a very fluid medium and we only have to take a tip from VW design engineers on how to stop air flow. It takes some custom tinwear to almost totally block a plane the air might pass through. Then it needs a foam seal to really fill in any gaps. Then it needs owners who care so much for their kombis they religiously maintain this seal and replace at the slightest sign of wear. This is what it takes to stop air - not a block sitting in the middle with a gap of centimetres all around it.
    I would be far more worried about a battery inside the van with no air flow. The reason many modern cars have a short battery life is that they have a nice spiffy little plastic battery holder which stops airflow. Hence the battery overheats and no air to cool it down and battery dies within a couple of years (most modern batteries are cheap and nasty anyway).
    Batteries heat up from being charged. This is why in the Scandinavian countries where cars have a plug and you plug them in overnight, one of the circuits is a trickle charger to the battery. This heats the battery up enough to stop the acid from freezing and cracking the case. Thus I would rather have airflow from a kombi air intake running past a battery than have it inside the van with no air flowing past it. Though most I have seen are in place like a cupboard or behind a seat and that is enough air flow.

Lastly : If the engine compartment is hot enough to damage a battery, it will be feeding the oil cooler that same hot air and you will kill several engines through overheating waaaay before you would ever damage the battery.

20. Airfireman

Airfireman Active Member

I have purchased the Ctek DS250 DC to DC charger, as I also have a 100w Flexible Solar panel on the poptop.

So both my battery will charge whilst running and also parked at the beach or the shop or camping.

I went this way as it is pretty rare to find shade to park in, Im also considering the fold out panels but not sure of the space I will have to store.

Everything I have read says the Ctek is the way to go,,,no switches or isolators just connect and drive (or park in some sun :)

Thanks

Tim