fitting bed seats

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by splitwit, Apr 1, 2006.

1. poGo

poGo Member

the wonders a garage door mechanism can do for a rock and roll lock :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. emby

emby Active Member

Baz,

I don;t know if you got an answer to your question, but I've got a neat trick to fasten the seat the the floor.

I used a base plate fixed between the two uprights and cut a notch over the keyholes that the rear seat normally clips down on. I then used one of the middle set bolts (they're longer than the rear ones), put it in, gave it a twist and then fastened a wing nut over it. I've actually got some steel plate to use as a washer that covers the hole and gets a nice tight grip on the base board. Tighter than a gnats....

here's a piccy.

[​IMG]

I've also got all the other info you were asking about if you're still interetsed (spacings / sizes etc.)

Cheers

Matt

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  3. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I'm going to build another bed for my bus and I'm just wondering how I get the back less vertical?

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

By ignoring the instructions that come with the hinges and changing the angle.

5. StevieVW

But ply is expensive and I don't want to cock it up!

6. melissa

Its not the ply that does the angle Stevie!! Its the placement of the hinges. Are you buying new rock and roll hinges?

7. StevieVW

Yeah. So just rotate the hinges back you think? I'll cut the ply then plan the angle later.

8. melissa

Yep - thats the plan. I need to do something about mine too. Roy pointed it out to me how to do it when we were up at Bonny Hills - its such a pain in the backside that I need to pull it out again.

9. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

Emby -- Matt, lucky I had my Liverpool pillow out of your view at Bonny Hills ,this could have become serious!!!...but some good Liverpool vibes may have jumped on board your crew I will have to educate you all with a bit of scouser football talk!

10. emby

emby Active Member

Scousers are riding along the M62 from Manchester to Liverpool on a motorbike. They break down and start hitching a lift. A friendly trucker stops to see if he can help and the scousers ask him for a lift. He tells them he has no room in the wagon as he is carrying 20,000 bowling balls but will take a look at the bike for them. He tries everything he knows but is unable to repair it.
    Time is getting on now and he's late for his delivery so he tells the scousers he has to leave.
    "R hey lad" they say "gissa lift".
    The trucker once again explains that he has no room as he is carrying 20,000 bowling balls. The scousers put it to the driver that if they can manage to fit in the back will he take them and he agrees. They manage to squeeze themselves and their motorbike into the back of the wagon so the driver shuts the doors and gets off on his way. By this time he is really late and so puts his foot down. Sure enough PC Plod of Greater Manchester Police pulls him up for speeding. The good officer asks the driver what he is carrying to which he replies Scouse Eggs. The policeman obviously doesn't believe this so wants to take a look. He opens the back door and quickly shuts it and locks it.
    He gets onto his radio and calls for immediate backup from as many officers as possible. The dispatcher asks what emergency he has that requires so many officers.
    "I've got a wagon with 20,000 Scouse eggs in it - 2 have already hatched and the b*****ds have managed to nick a motorbike already".

:D

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I should have more back on topic this week. The deluxe rock n roll bed is nearing completion

11. Sweeney

Sweeney New Member

hey guys, is the gap between the bed and the wall essential, as the holes that are already in the loor are pretty close to the wall and i would rather reuse those holes than drill into the floor... And emby has the base plate on the floor, is this highly reccomended to put less pressure on the actual kombi floor? Should there be something under the actuall car for more support or am i just thinking too much about it? And what should be used as the base plate, because at the moment i think i've just got kombi floor under raised wood.(pun not intended, but a little to funny to ignore)

12. kym rochford

kym rochford New Member

bed hinges

looks fantstic! my bed hinges are stuffed and all the boards are rotten. i would really appreciate it if you could send me those templates and instructions. 14 ferguson ave myrtle bank sa 5064. info@hindmarshfencing.com.au
    cheers
    kymmy.:)

13. Kombi Tribe

Kombi Tribe New Member

Nice

Hey

Like the rock n roll bed.... I just bought my first kombi 75 bay 8 seater...

Just had a bar put across the back for kids car seats next the rnr bed want to do mine,, ha ha.. Im on the goldie interested on the whole project who where and cost?

Cheers

Kombi Tribe

14. kombihooked

kombihooked New Member

hi trying to make a rock n roll bed - for 79 van -wondering if you could plese send me the plans - you have. did you use the hinges from the bus stop

15. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

This thread hasn't been updated lately...

Just received my Elvis Presley hinges from Roy and I am keen to get started. Has anyone made themselves a Rock 'n Roll bed with the specs (or similar) originally posted by Roy way back in 2006? I'm pretty sure I can manage from those specs (I'll be making the base & back a little wider than Roy) but it's always good to hear from some one who has made one recently - to kinda learn from their mistakes, so to speak :p (or maybe you didn't make any mistakes, even better!)

Making one yourself is a lot cheaper than custom but it's still quite a few hundred dollars worth of ply and good quality foam, so I don't want to stuff up. Yeah I know, measure twice, cut once...

Anyone got any knowledge, tricks, gems of wisdom they could impart - please do...

16. melissa

Sending you a PM

17. ick72

ick72 New Member

use these instructions today to put my bed in thanks for them they help me work it out so easy .. now i just need to get the foam and cover

18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Can't say i've done a R'n'R but I do know structure & construction. Spend the money on good quality ply. Best option - marine ply - waterproof glue, hardwood veneers & nice'n'light, next Form-ply - waterproof glue & a mix of hwd & pine (slippery outer veneers though), will last for eons, then CD construction ply - cheaper but not as stable & MAY deform over the years.
    Cheers, Mark

19. ick72

ick72 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all done thanks for the guidence

20. Juzzy

Juzzy Member

Will be ordering hinges this week and tackling the bed build when they arrive!