1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fitting bed seats

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by splitwit, Apr 1, 2006.

1. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

I fitted a Kustomkombi.com RNR bed/seat into my splitty. It came with all the measurements and instructions for fitting the frame, the seat back and base are pre cut and drilled. All up it took me about an hour to get it from flat pack to fitted seat in the bus.
    100% australian made and ADR approved.
    Well worth $'s

2. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Agreed Kustom Kombi is the way to (rock &) roll.

Most importantly, the service is exceptional - just a real helpful guy with a great product that he's taken the time to certify.

3. Juzzy

Juzzy Member

What are the kustomkombi ones worth?
    Was considering going that way if the price is reasonable

4. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Just grab phone number for Jamie off the kustomkombi website and give him a call. I'm sure he'll be happy to help.

5. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

Jamie's number is 0414857259
    If he doesn't answer leave a message and he ll get back to ya.

6. Juzzy

Juzzy Member

Decided to go with jk hinges and build myself, prob be the best way considering im a builder by trade lol

7. Juzzy

Juzzy Member

Will be attacking it tomorrow, wish me luck!

8. leithbro

leithbro Member

Has anyone actually managed to track down the ADR specs for what is allowable (apart from 25mm box section)... Can't seem to find it in the jargon, would really like to get a copy?

9. 65busser

65busser Member

Yep. Once you find them you'll need an engineer and a lawyer to translate them. Jamie deserves a medal for the effort and expense he went to for us. He deserves our support. Local boy. Local product. No contest.

10. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Just wondering how much JK hinges are and where you can get them from? Also if it is possible to attach them to original seats?
    Cheers
    Lochie

11. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Just ordering the JK brackets and start drawing up plans for the seat/bed. What are peoples views of using some steel tube say approx. 10mm to build the base to give it some strength ?

12. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

There is a Technical data sheet available from the RTA that has drawings for a "typical" seat in it along with the required specs. You still need a degree in vague english to decipher it but it might get you a step closer to the requirements.

Blunderbus - you might find 10mm over the width of the seat will flex too much - depends on the wall thickness I guess - I used 25mm to reinforce part of my seat base.

Dor Matt likes this.
  13. saabman

14. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Thanks, the steel would be in addition to the plywood and mainly for the base although a basic steel frame plus ply would help with flexing of the seat.
    Reading the VSB it appears that seat base must be made of at least 25 x 25 x 2mm steel, so that makes all RnR seats made of plywood effectively illegal :eek:

15. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Dragging up an old thread, but I have just put a set of RNR hinges in to these specs and the seat sits up around 100 mm higher than a normal rear seat. Also the original seat belts don't fit. Obviously lots of others have fitted them. Do you just get by with them like that?

Adrian

16. saabman

Are you talking about using the timber sides as in the image from roy on the first page adrian?

17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Yes the rear of the seat does sit higher so that when it folds back, it sits on the engine "flat". You can adjust it slightly to make it sit a bit lower.

18. Mordred

Ok let me clarify. I a family about the base of the seat. My old bus has a homemade set of hinges and it sits at the height of the original seat. The bed then lays down as it should. The new hinges raise the base 100 mm and you head get very close to the roof in a tin top. I changed the angle of mounting of the hinges to the supports and managed to get the back down a little and also managed to make the back recline from straight up. The seat belts I will have to lengthen.

19. Mordred

I think I have worked it out. The hinges we can get now are actually designed for a t3. That would allow for the 100 mm increase in height. Any way have put it all in and Tam has upholstered it. Very happy with the result and should be better than the fixed bed and middle seat. That was going to be tight for the full 2 1/2 weeks we will be away for. It was that or an engine and gearbox swap to Milly. After 2 days work I am wondering if it wouldn't have been easier.

just a note, I lifted the front fixing by about 20 mm and dropped the rear fixing by about 10 mm to get a little reclining in the seat base and back and also lower the seating position about 20 mm. This also means that the back of the bracket that bolts to the firewall will lower to the top of the wheel well. It also means that the whole seat comes forward around 20mm. To be honest the hinge mechanism is not really the best set up for a T2. It is serviceable but more for occasional use, especially in a tintop, and tall people will be very close to the roof on the sides. In a microbus you also have the handles on the roof to avoid as well.

Adrian

20. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I agree Adrian, they have been made as a "one size fits all" and they are not perfect.