1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting electronic Ignition

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by felixqld66, Jul 31, 2007.

1. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

I have posted a thread on fitting a compufire ignition to my bay in the handy hints section as the kit is not type 4 specific and could be fitted to an upright motor in a bay or splitty as well. Here is the link

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=8107

Cheers Alex

2. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

excellent work you are to be congratulated alex , ive stuck this thread well done mate

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well done Alex - very informative.
    I'm running the Compufire Pointless Ignition a much easier install and very happy with it.

4. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

I just had an electronic ignition fitted to shirl, am very happy with it, no flat spots, starts first time. Cost me around $180

This is what I had fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rev.

5. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Ian,

Do you have the 009 or the 005 dizzy?

Baz

6. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

It's the original - 005 with vacum advance

Rev.

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Now you are ready to go to Central Australia

8. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Going to Cairns next

Rev.

9. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Well I did my first good run with the electronic ignition to the Newcastle and back - did 410km before filling up and put in 39 liters - which works out at 9.5 litres per 100km.

At this rate the electronic ignition kit will be paying for its self and saving me $$$ in a few months.

Rev.

10. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Well below average by my calculation. Wow. Can EI really make such a difference? The air loves you for it, Ian.

11. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Just doing my bit :)

Rev.

12. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I'm quietly hoping it really is the EI making that difference, because I am now the proud owner of one, exactly the same. It's not fitted to anything yet, but soon will be.

13. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Thats the same unit I used to have in my 77 years ago and it worked a treat, although I do remember having some trouble with it at some point but it is a while ago.....

jono

14. Nigel

Nigel Member

1968~79 VW Type 2 ignition system upgrade

1968~79 VW TYPE 2 IGNITION SYSTEM UPGRADE

Compiled & Written by Nigel A. Skeet

The Author's 1973 VW "1600" Type 2

During the mid-to-late-1980s, we found increasing difficulty, with firing up the engine of our 1973 VW 1600 Type 2, following a dewy night when camping, or after a winter lay-up period; often requiring several bouts of turning the engine over on the starter, spaced over a period of about half an hour or more. When tested, the H.T. ignition circuit produced an adequate spark, but never particularly strong. The standard H.T. leads' connections to the spark plugs, being exposed to the atmosphere, rendered them susceptible to condensation, resulting in leakage to earth, which I suspect may have been the major factor. It is also probable that the ignition coil had slowly deteriorated over the years and so was not performing as well as it should.

Thus, in early-1989, it seemed an appropriate excuse to upgrade the ignition system, which had the desired effect; resulting in on-the-button starting, under all conditions. This involved the fitment of Lemark 'Hotwires' HT leads (having rubber boots which seal over the spark plug ceramic insulator), a Microdynamics Formula 1, FCD (frequency controlled dwell), exponential discharge, electronic ignition, together with a Microdynamics Macrospark, low inductance, ballasted ignition coil.

This electronic ignition system, also incorporated an adjustable, electronic, smooth-cut rev limiter, which was pre-set for us, to 5000 RPM (the absolute maximum for the air-cooled VW 1600 engine, without a special counterweighted crankshaft and fine tolerance balancing!). It enabled us to dispense with the cut-out type rotor arm, which had resulted in extremely violent juddering of the whole vehicle, when 4500 RPM (corresponding to a speedometer reading of approximately 50 MPH, in 3rd gear) was reached.

The higher rev limit, allowed us to attain higher speeds in 3rd gear (circa 55 MPH, corresponding to about 3250 RPM in 4th gear), so that we might have barely adequate torque & power, when we changed up to 4th gear, which was often found to be necessary when joining a motorway, on an uphill slip road and other driving conditions. A close-ratio, 5-speed gearbox, would have gone a long way to overcoming this problem, but that's another story!

Over the years, accessory electronic ignition systems, which use either optical or Hall-effect triggering, have become popular, because they dispense with the need to adjust contact breaker points. However, these systems are said to suffer from timing errors, owing to backlash and mechanical hysteresis effects, associated with the ignition distributor, dog and skew gear drive mechanism, which is no longer biased and damped, by pressure from the contact breaker spring. In the event of these types of electronic ignition system failing, there is seldom a simple way of reverting to the simple, standard ignition system, owing to the distributor modifications which are made, to incorporate the triggering device.

References

Steve Higginson, "Hot Sparks: Ignition Choices for the '90s", VW Custom & Classic, March 1997, pp48~49.

Steve Higginson, "High-Performance VW Ignition Upgrade: Dr. Jacobs Sure-Fire Method for Improved Spark", VW Custom & Classic, July 1997, pp54~55.

Bibliography

Dr. Christopher A. Jacobs, "The Doctor's Step-By-Step Guide to Optimizing Your Ignition", pre-August 1993

Ben Watson, "Electronic Ignition: Installation, performance tuning and modification" Motorbooks International, 1994, ISBN 0-87938-838-2.

Useful Addresses

Electromotive Inc., 9131 Centreville Road, Manassas, Virginia, VA 20110, USA.
    Tel. (USA) 703 331 0100

Engine Electronics Inc., 20290 Carrey Road, Walnut, California, CA 91789, USA.
    Tel. (USA) 909 598 5485 Fax. (USA) 909 598 5695

Jacobs Electronics, 500 North Baird Street, Midland, Texas, TX 79701, USA
    Tel. (USA) 800 627 8800 or 915 685 3345
    Internet website: http://www.jacobselectronics.com

MSD Ignition, 1490 Henry Brennan Drive, El Paso, Texas, TX 79936, USA.
    Tel. (USA) 915 857 5200 Fax. (USA) 915 857 3344

Nology, 7360 Trade Street, San Diego, California, CA 92121, USA.
    Tel. (USA) 619 578 4688 Fax. (USA) 619 578 4388
    Internet website: http://www.nology.comA
    Tel. (USA) 800 627 8800 or 915 685 33

75SC likes this.
  15. leithbro

leithbro Member

Unless you use a pertronix which doesn't require distributor modifications. Mine arrived friday and i'm yet to drop it in however.

I am dubious of the date of the extract though, a lot changes in 12 years.

Hopefully it goes good :)

16. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I just installed a Compufire kit in a new 005 SVDA, the full rundown is in another thread but in a nutshell the only modification necessary was to the cell to make it fit inside the dizzy. Other than that, working fine. In the same thread the Pertronix kit gets a thumbs up from Tom (ttmck) which would be a considered endorsement I'd say!

17. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

18. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

With a 009 there is no modification needed in a Type2 1700/1800/2000 with a Compufire install - well at least the one I got in.

19. vwreggie

vwreggie Member

Just fitted the pertronix to my 77 efi 2 litre kombi. Actually one of my best mates who is an auto electrician did it. Unbelievably smooth. Cant wait to do a highway run and check the mileage. Wish I had listened to my mate who said to get one 5 years ago

20. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Installed the $45 electronic points as advertised in VWMA. Not rocket science to install and going well after 2500 km Easter trip. Recommended.