1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting electronic Ignition

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by felixqld66, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Fitted up the pertronix kit, car fires first go every time even in the cold the last few nights, found it easiest to remove the dizzy (esp when removing the condenser) Now if only my carbs where set up right...

2. dolphinberserk

dolphinberserk New Member

Just FYI. After much thinking, in 2007 I installed pertronix in my blue Dormobile 1973 Bay with 1982 CV series 2l aircooled donk in 2007 and it has run perfectly since. I haven't looked at the inside of the distributor since 2007. That is crazy now I think of it. The distributor is the original CV engine dizzy with no alterations to centrifugal or vacuum advance. Setting dwell on points was all very zen but it's nice to have one less thing to do in these busy times. The valves on CV series (type IV) engines are hydraulic and so I have a little more time between services than before!

As an aside, I converted to mixed vapour lpg in March 2009 and the ignition hasn't skipped a beat since. My oil temp gauge indicates lower temperatures under load than with my beaten up Solex carbs. I turned the distributor for earlier advance that lpg likes but am fully aware that the advance curve for petrol and lpg are very different and so I stay below 4500 rpm and have bought all the parts for a Megajolt Ford EDIS system. Only problem is this: fitting a timing wheel and sensor on a type IV engine hasn't been pioneered in any real sense yet (help)!

So the Pertronix chugs on and on and on, commuting up to 200km return to Brisbane each day, quite amazing really. My circa 1973 regulator faded in 2009 and the alternator hacked out its bearings but as long as there was 12v, the electronic ignition started the bus and took me home, up to 90km with the battery light on one time when the regulator finally died. If the Pertronix accelerated the regulators death, my condolences must go to the Regulator of Regulators however I don't care too much as the new reg is going strong and the pay off in low maintenance and fuel economy is well worth it. I imagine similar systems to Pertronix do just as well.
    Go electronic, VW would have if they'd had the choice back then! In fact they did experiment with modern ignitions with the later fuel-injected air-cooled Type IV engines in Kombi's and other models.
    RIch

3. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Should have posted this a while back.... loved every minute of having the Petronix installed.... that was until it completely died right as I was heading from Nambucca to Valla to join the main convoy at the Spectacular earlier in the year... Blown coil and blown module...and missed out on being part of the street show/parade no idea why it died... back to points and a Bosch Su12 Coil.....so far since the swap apart from some hot start issues all is okay?
    Has anyone had theirs just up and die like that?

4. JEFFRO74CAMPER

JEFFRO74CAMPER New Member

So what do I need to bin the points??

Have 71 1600cc motor in a 74 bay camper.
    009 bosch dizzy with points & square plug condensor.

Computec or pertronix?:umm:

Ive read that I'll need a flame thrower coil to run the electronic ignition???
    Myth or fact?:umm:

Any assistance much appreciated, cheers jeff.:)

5. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

jeffro

i am no expert but can tell what I did and I am pleased with the result.

I had a 71 1600cc with all sorts of reliability issues , worked thru them one by one with gradual improvements

I bought a flamethrower 2 coil to match the pertronix eletronic billet dizzy.

I bought them because I was told they match each other , and it one less imcompatibility I have to worry about.
    I first replaced the coil and was amazed at how much stronger the spark looked with the flamethrower coil. then replaced the dizzy , the only issue I had was I had to install it without an O ring but so far no oil leak.

Both have been great, now I also replaced my starter motor , new 34pict 3 carby , replaced genny with a 75 amp alternator it all starts first time every time now.

6. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Sunnyjim, mine is the same setup, replaced the stater but alternator was fine, first spark he starts everytime. Runs really well. Carbies rebuilt.

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I have had one electronic ignition fail it was a computec and would misfire when the engine was very hot ....took ages to find as no miss when tuning.
    You don't need to change your coil but you can if you want.

There are flamethrower 2 ignitions and you can run the higher voltage coils if you want

8. JEFFRO74CAMPER

Thanx fellas. Will look at the pertronix.

Seems to have more positive feedback than the compufire.

Will also look at the flame thrower coil.

Not having any starting issues with the points.

I actually fitted new points,condensor & rotor about a month ago after it stalling when low rpm & also stuggling powering out of corners on the gas....

Replacement of the above rectified all.

However the "other half" also uses the bus & I would like it to be reliable.

I binned the points on my 77 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle many years ago & fitted a Boyer Bransden electronic ignition module, figured wise to convert the Kombi too.

Thanx all:D

9. JEFFRO74CAMPER

Got pertronix electronic ignition & flamethrower coil.
    Only to find after reading instructions with a fine tooth comb(Im anal with mech theory:rolleyes: ).

I had the flamethrower II coil which according to the text, is incompatible with the ignitor I electronic ignition. So will have to go back to the shop & exchange it for a flamethrower I.
    Dont wanna fry anything.;)

Its good to read stuff sometimes, the missus goes mad at me for reading & following instructions to the letter.:lol:

10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

She might appreciate some inventivness sometimes!!!

11. jimma

jimma Member

Was just wondering im thinking of putting in an electonic iginition in my Type 4 but was just wondering whats the bees knees of electronic igintion, whats the best possible set up i can put in because i know theres a few different set ups on the market.

...Jimma...

12. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

I am back with te petronix, upon inspection of my old one by my mechanic it was arcing out due to a section of the wires insulation being stripped by a clumsy installer (me :eek: )
    he tested the Flame thrower coil too it is still good, swears by the set up and have of course talked me into a new module

Petronix is the go! I have no trouble starting my bus, hot, cold, freezing.....

13. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

I've got a Pertronix billet distributor (slightly different from the electronic module you can get to fit into your existing dizzy), but if I was doing it again I'd look hard at the electronic dizzies by 123-Ignition. Very well regarded in Mini circles. That said, I've got no complaints with the Pertronix; easy to fit, starts nice and easy, I try to convince myself there's more power ...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  14. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

Go the pertonix.Runs great.As Dubman says starts hot, cold, freezing and first time.Just make sure you still put a drop of oil inside the dizzy shaft every service as you tend to forget when you don't have to change points.cheers Adam

15. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Im running the pertronix as well - almost a year now - seems to be doing the Job

16. Kombiklown

Kombiklown Member

Help please. Is there anywhere on the gold coast to buy the pertronix ignitor? I have a73 kombi with everything standard.

Thanks

Allan

17. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

18. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Put in my new flame thrower and pertronix igniter.....no go and some smoke and a smell of electrical. Burning smell.

I did not wire it the wrong way round red went to + and black went to -

has anyone had a new faulty one?

19. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

It wasnt faulty...they sent the wrong coil and it fryed it

20. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That's good you got your issue sorted.

I had a bit if trouble accentuated by it recently - one ignition lead went open circuit so the spark made its way to ground through the dizzy cap. New lead and cap and all good.