Fitting Non standard wheels- Photos/other info

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by felixqld66, Jan 19, 2008.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

He's Italian.
    Whata for the gauges?

2. navarido

navarido New Member

yes the speedo sign 10 km less than the really velocity... but the in origin sign 10km plus for the real satellite speed...

and that's it! you are the real velocity and the speedo don't need to recalculate! ;)

3. chewtah

chewtah Guest

iv seen some sunraysias sandblasted and galvanised or electroplated zinc, never rust again

4. splitdc61

splitdc61 Member

is it true you cannot get 112 sunraysia wheels anymore ???? to suit bay or T4

5. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Nope, try speedy wheels or king wheels.

6. jeremybillett

jeremybillett Member

Hey guys just tried to read through this whole thread and there's lots of great info but I just don't 'get' it all.

Basically I'd like larger wheels to take up more space in the well at the standard height for regular highway driving, but have enough comfort and clearance for unsealed and bumpy roads through National Parks. Can anyone make a suggestion?

7. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

I run 16" setup ( see a few posts back) not too big a wheel that you have very little rubber, keeps the road and bumps at bay, rather than a 17 lower profile set up which will feel more, I used to run 14" wheels and the difference up to 16" as long as you keep the rolling diameter correct is a nice fit.

8. jeremybillett

jeremybillett Member

Great thanks Dubman, I'll do a bit of research into 16's then

9. kmb175

kmb175 Member

Ive read through all on this thread, but it still confuses the crap out of me haha.
    I have a set of Empi Raiders 15", and looking to put them on my 1970 bus. Every tyre place i call seems like they dont want my business etc etc cant help me or advise me too much because i drive a vintage volkswagen (Tyre guy: "Oh, we've had problems with those before") :p.
    I obviously want to keep it legal, with load rating etc, which tyre size can somebody please recommend, without the tyres being ridiculously chunky and silly looking, im after a lower profile tyre if possible. Note my bus is lowered 4 inches or so on an adjustable beam. Would a 185/60/15 or 195/60/15 be unsuitable or?
    Thanks for any help!

10. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Your never going to get a load rated tyre that small, from memory a 195/60/15 has a load rating of 90ish.

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The LI only needs to be about 93 I think. Somebody here worked it out properly. Col?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

need to check weight of maximum loaded axle . not sure off top of head re the 70

by weight on late bays its 94.
    if you were to go by the 1.1 rule [converting from LT]?on roads literature I think it went to 97.

personaly I run at 94 or anything higher but as Jon said probably scarce in [read N/A] sizes mentioned.

qn is .
    whats original tyre fitment?
    whats width and offset of originalt rims
    whats width and offset of replacement rims?
    maximum loaded axle weight?
    plated tyres for the year?

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Would anyone in authority (insurance, RTA , Police etc.) actually know either?

14. kmb175

kmb175 Member

Yeh i was worried about that. So does that mean owners with tyres that are obviously not load rated are voiding their insurance or running illegal tyres?
    What is a suitable size for a 15 x 5.5 raider wheel for a 1970 van?
    Wasnt particularly after that exact size, just the tyre sizes off another bus. Thanks for any help!

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I agree, in the vast majority of cases absolutely no idea and wouldn't look unless there was a reason .
    but my perspective is that if you have the info or correct tyres then they have no grounds for argument .
    owners choice re what they bother with.
    I have low tolerance for bureaucratic morons.
    its extremely rare to have slightly non conforming tyres picked up but can happen. there are cases of insurance assessors and / or companies acting analy to the point of actualy denying claims illegally but I would expect it is rare on tyres unless they had reason to think they were non conforming or just wanted to fail the claim.
    In such cases they would likely look to the placarded tyre type but I believe that could be argued under transport modification rules.

there are arguments over tyre choices but my personal minimum considerations are a tyre rated for the vehicle weight and speed will avoid most concerns re legal issues .

[legaly you are meant to tell insurers of modifications under term of disclosure. Doubt that minor mods that are allowed as non notifiable under transport guidelines need to be declared but if in doubt check with insurer for piece of mind.]

plus it needs grip.

I haven't checked the details but-
    your basic qn is what tyre size
    Think the original was a bias or cross ply at 7.00/ 14
    radial option. 185R 14

In 15"a LT replacement that people are happy with and ticks all boxes legaly plus appears to have good grip is http://toyotires.com.au/tyres/light-commercial-tyres/item/21-h08

or look for a passenger tyre that has a load rating of 93 or higher based on rear axle weight of 1300kg. [divide x2 for tyre rating, ie 650kg]
    http://www.federaltyres.com.au/tyres/tyre-tips/75-what-are-load-a-speed-ratings
    if worried about non LT and want to comply then multiply by 1.1 [ I don't but that's your call]
    195/70/15 is close to the original 185R 14 [185/82/14] for diameter [OD]

http://www.miatatirecalculator.org/

keep in mind you want a tyre with grip.

I suspect the reason for some people running smaller profile tyres is for front body clearance on heavily lowered vans??

16. kmb175

kmb175 Member

Thanks so much!
    Yeh that is part of the reason, could always go a little lower! haha, plus i just dislike the look of chunky rubber on a beautiful set of rims.
    Just asking around as im sure theres plenty of kombi owners out there with 15inch wheels such as BRM etc that are fine.
    I couldnt really get much help out of a tyre place i went to, maybe have to try somewhere else too.

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

a 3" drop wont be a prob as far as im aware with [ok on late bay] those tyres.

smaller OD looks worse as it doesn't fill the wheel arch as much so lowering looks better

if you want the low profile look you will need to go to 17" . ie 17x7 et around 30. 235/45/17 tyres which are common and easy to find good ones at reasonable prices and high load ratings.
    about 10mm smaller OD than stock
    it would pay to check with owners of the early bays before doing that as there may be slightly different dimensions on the geometry of front than the later bay. I have them on late bay with no issues

and, Yeah, many tyre places no idea or just stick to official line

18. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Can guarantee that if ANY was not standard or exceeding standard specifications then insurance companies will use it as a way to not validate your claim.

19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Has anyone actually had this happen? Are any Kombis on here actually legal? Would the insurance companies actually know what is legal?

20. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Yeah I had a customer a few years ago insisting he only have tyres that met all the criteria on his placard due to a aborted insurance claim.
    I reckon insurance companies have smart people working for them Phill...