1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Non standard wheels- Photos/other info

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by felixqld66, Jan 19, 2008.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've heard of people getting knocked back on rego for that also. The tyres do not have to met all of the criteria on the placard to be legal.

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I have had insurance companies look at details with a fine tooth comb to attempt to reject a 3rd party claim.
    there is also a well known practice of some insurance companies widespread practice accusing owners of setting alight their own cars and therefore refusing to pay out for [I think] up to 2 years if at all. Dishonest but happened.

But legally [and probably territory for those more qualified] my expectations would be , that modifications done within the road transport regulations and not requiring engineering would be legal as would be engineered and plated mods.
    The caveat would be disclosure. Insurance companies can require ALL modifications to be disclosed and if you do not then there MAY be an area of argument ???
    On some items it would be handy to know and be able to refer to appropriate references re the legality when discussing with an insurance rep as its probably a bit hit and miss who you get. [camper cover being one example]

I haven't read a disclosure sheet to confirm lately but from past experience items often listed are usually quite legal but require declaring.
    Changing rims and tyres is common and generally allowed but for anyone concerned about peace of mind it may pay to confirm acceptance of the modification [with written notification of acceptance]

many of us probably don't but that's an individual choice.

Often an assessor will ignore small mods that do not affect the claim but its easier to have it covered in writing if one is concerned.

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I wonder how far away from legal anyone was that has had trouble?

There are some very illegal tyre/wheels around.

Have a look at some of the Golfs at shows with their stretched tyres, Beetles with 135s and Kombis with whitewall inserts.

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

They are all very naughty!

5. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

good evening all. as a young lad I was told everything's legal until you get caught. I have asked an engineer about rims & tyres for ECLECTIC as it has rodeo front spindles & freewheeling hubs it can carry a larger rim & tyre combo but the rear being original kombi hubs with the pajero rear disc set up it limits it to kombi size. So going for 15x7 sunrasia style rims with light truck I hope to get something 1/2 decent
    ernie

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I totally agree.
    Theres a lot that's ignored/looked at with reason by police and insurance most of the time . But on the reverse they can be over enthusiastic at times.
    For the majority of times I don't think its an issue that has consequences. Even for some mods that are well outside the envelope.
    But annoying if one has to correct or deal with something that has attracted attention and incurred penalties or loss.
    VERY hit and miss.

many minor mods wont attract attention from either party usua;y but during a traffic roadworthy blitz some coppers can get quite enthusiastic over stupidly irrelevant intepretations of barely visible cracks in lenses etc

for my choice I don't get too anal about compliance but [usualy] like to have condition close enough to argue with a chance of success
    The content of my posts are just to give some direction on my thoughts re what the baseline issues may be for the sake of potential legalities.

syncro likes this.
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

........and unsafe. Why would you modify a car to make it handle worse? Same as people changing to low back seats??????

8. RyanSmith

RyanSmith Member

upload_2015-7-1_17-42-43.jpeg
    Empi BRM
    17"x7"
    205/45/17 Yokohama
    5x112mm
    Lowered 4" front and back - heaps of clearance still
    Wheels from US, tyres from Hammond 4x4 Capalaba. Nothing but problems,would not recommend.

Does anyone know where in Brisbane will do a wheel alignment and maybe speedo calibration?

9. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Nice looking van you have there Ryan !
    Wheels look great & really suit the colour scheme!:D

10. Subdub67

Subdub67 Active Member

Aluminium Empis from the states, bought 10 years ago. You can see the pattern for the wide 5.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015
  11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice BRM's which suit your Van.

As for the wheel alignment I think you won't find anyone able to do it as with the whole setup of the front end my tyre guy said it's a no go. Have you asked Pete @ Custom VW?

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Igor's wheels - 16x7.5 Audi style - fitted ok but because of the width and lowering they did wear more on the inside which is something you have to live with when going down that line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOW 71 and Aspro like this.
  13. Kombi Rod

Kombi Rod New Member

Hi mate , where did you get your longer wheel studs from please. I have a se of the same wheels but in chrome? cheers Rod

14. Kombi Rod

Kombi Rod New Member

Hi mate, can you please let me know where you got your longer wheel studs from? I have the same wheels but in chrome. Cheers Rod

15. LOW 71

LOW 71 New Member

Hi Phil, thinking of running 16x7 et38 with 215/55/16 tyres on my 71 low. Should be ok from what you were running re clearances and steering etc.
    running stock height set up at the back and maybe lower the front 1"

16. LOW 71

LOW 71 New Member

Hi Dubman, just bought some Audi A4 rims and was wondering if you had to machine out the centres at all? thanks Roger

Attached Files:

17. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Remind me to check those out when I see you Geoff. You've given me an Idea for a project I'm working on.

18. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

What fitting fits a post 71 kombi 5/112 or 5/205 ?

19. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

5x112

20. Waz356

Waz356 Member

How available are the Sunraysia wheels for a 74 bay? Thoughts on where to look?