Fitting Non standard wheels- Photos/other info

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by felixqld66, Jan 19, 2008.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

They are about but rare, normal places like eBay, Gumtree, AVD - oldman (Mark) found a set but not sure where.

2. Waz356

Waz356 Member

Thanks. I'll start searching.

3. Searl'e

Searl'e Member

Hi Greenie
    Got a 74 Kombi camper that has been in storage, a long project getting started. Have 15 inch Merc steel rims on at moment but looking for a pair of 14 inch steel rims for front as I had some on a twin cab many years ago. I think they would have late 70's early 80's but I don't know what offset they need to be, any clues? Great centre pieces on your rig I would to know more about them later. Cheerz

4. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

I have taken the plunge with Bob Jane Tmart, After a lot of research we believe the Oais XT by PDW will fit, they are load rated and have the required 5x112 stud pattern. 16x7, fitting the Bridgestone Ecopia EP300 205/55/16 at a total of $1027.
    Booked in tomorrow hoping all goes well. I have checked and they have sent wheel studs to convert the front hubs as per their specs, not sure if the hole is going to be large enough for the bearing caps also standard centre caps may not be deep enough but there are larger ones available.
    T3, 83 mdl.
    Wish me luck!

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The ecopia ep300 only has a load rating of 91.
    Insufficient.
    To be legal for weight you need a 97 with a xl rated or similar or 99 on an unrated passenger tyre.

Even if not pedantic re legality I would personally want to be close to the 97 for either type.

I am surprised that they have offered that tyre. Usualy they cover themselves quite well for legalities even if choices of tyre are average.

6. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

I have taken this information and asked them to verify again that all will be load rated sufficiently and I have been reassured that all will be legal.

Minor hiccup though, the centre of the wheels does not allow for the bearing covers so I am having them machined to suite, the guys doing the work will also make me some caps to fit and cover the bearing covers.

Back to Bob Jane tomorrow, will post pics then!

Thanks for the heads up!!

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Trust me I'm a salesman.

Whether you use them or not, a load rating of 91 is illegal.

Grantus likes this.
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Suggest keep on top of them.

A lot of these idiots have no idea.
    The 91 spec is for the same size you listed and from Bob Jane site.

Also starting point for pressures going by factory specs will be 30psi front and 38 psi rear.
    I suggest 34 front and 38 rear.

Check max pressure for tyres.
    Needs to be at least 44psi to allow for loaded settings.

Currently running similar size and passenger construction on my T 3 and 34/36 for more grip on rough driveway but no issues on hwy.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    syncro likes this.
  9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Error

"Most of these idiots have no idea."

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Make sure that you get the correct wheel nuts also. Normally with Kombis you require special nuts that are not easy to get. The moron tyre fitters just use anything.

cbus likes this.
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

And correct torque.
    Check by hand.

Nuts must engage flush with end of stud if visible or 18/19mm ( have to check) of stud thread.

12. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

PDW has supplied the wheel studs required for the front hubs and mag nuts as per their specs, fingers crossed it all works properly!
    The Bridgestone Ecopia EP300 has a load rating of 92, really unsure now. I have asked the load rating question a total of 4 times!

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I am really surprised they are not being pedantic re legality. Usualy they are.
    Its a national standard so don't expect any state exemptions that used to muddy the waters.

I do not always follow the letter of the law but in this case suggest a better rated tyre is well advised.

Any argument between light truck and passenger construction is not relevent for this discussion.
    I have run both on bays and t3 plus a mix from 14" to 17" and varying widths.
    Just small adjustments in pressures to ensure even tyre wear.

Your sizing is pretty much set.
    I stick with position of being close to 97 load rating and at least 44psi max being necessary.
    Not saying lesser will fail but you have more margin of safety and better chance of arguing legality with police or insurance companies who will fault on a claim if possible.

Will look for some alternatives.

Cheer's

Would add that their advice has not been sound so far.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I didn't check your sizing.
    You mentioned 205/55.16

These are too small diameter.
    632mmOD
    To a degree that they are not suitable.

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

Stock is 650-655 mm OD.
    I run anything from 643 to 668.
    You will notice a difference between smallest to largest in gearing on slight hills.
    Flatish hwy is fine
    The difference on hills just means 3rd in some where otherwise you could just hold 4th.
    Its a comfortable range but 649 to 660 is prob good depending on your engine and amount of hills.
    On stock height van the larger do fill wheel arch better. No big deal tho.

Another area they have got wrong that is relevent.

15. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

Yeh 205/55.16.
    I live in the Huon Valley, my road to take me to Hobart is a huge hill so maybe the slightly smaller diameter will help but don't like the idea of less fill in the wheel arches?
    Anyway I am back to get them fitted today
    Thanks for all you advice folks.

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The 205/55.16. Is definitely toi small.
    205/60 or 225/55 are alternatives with good diameters.

The 225/55.16 is best choice ti fit your rims and there are options that have 97 to 99 load rating.
    Check Bob Jane's tyre size selector or via tyre size selection on jax tyres website.
    https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/sizes/16-inch/225-55r16

If there is any issue fitting the 225/55.16 for body clearance then the muppets have sold you a rim that's not suitable in offset.
    I run 235/45.17 with no issues.
    Currently 215/ 60 .16. on 7" rims no probs. Recon 205 too narrow on 7" with low profile.
    Also have a set of 205/55.16 bought with s.h rims that are holding up a bay at mo and they are definitely stupidly small.
    Can sms a photo if it helps.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  17. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

Could you txt me and I give you a call back? zero four two nine zero zero eight four four five

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Doing now.

19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Private messages are good to communicate in private to exchange phone numbers etc.

20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Agreed....unless you are trying to sell something here, where your number is mandatory to be public, otherwise you’re ad gets removed. o_O