Fitting Rear disc brakes to my 79 Bay

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by felixqld66, May 24, 2009.

1. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Sure does Stevie but the disk diameter is so small, best to talk to him if you are interested.

Cheers

2. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Not worth the conversion your thinking? How was the stopping performance improved? Splat into the windscreen?

3. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Hey Stevie

Very worth it but if you want the stock look the 15' Merc rims with the right offset will fit the bigger disks inside them. If you fitted the disks you are moving away from stock so a sutble rim change wouldn't really matter i think.

Cheers

4. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I like the OG rims but I'm also all for reducing maintenance for my self like you!

5. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Splat is a good description new brakes are awesome and the handbrake is oh so secure!!!!

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yeah. The sod damn near did put me into the windscreen.:lol:
    cheers
    col

7. Nigel

Nigel Member

1971~79 VW Type 2 rear disc brake conversion

What information were you given about the change in rear brake torque for the same hydraulic pressure, when converting from factory-stock drum brakes to these disc brakes?

If there has been a significant change, then this will alter the front-to-rear brake balance and hence the understeer & oversteer characteristics under braking!

By the way, did you need to buy the one-way, M10 x 1•0 mm banjo fittings separately, or did you merely omit to mention them in your inventory of the kit?

[​IMG]

Here are various types of M10 x 1•0 mm banjo fittings, which I salvaged several years ago, from some BMW, VW & Audi cars, at my local car breaker's yard. There are also some very neat one-way, M10 x 1•0 mm banjo fittings, which can be salvaged from the braking systems of rear-engined Skodas.

[​IMG]

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=354028

[​IMG]

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=354027

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Alex hasnt been on for a while but I can comment of sorts on the balance. Appears standard as one would have with well adjusted rears. Flat braking with no lock up of rear. This was before bedding in properly so will leave final analysis to Alex. Think hes very impressed with it tho. no neg comments
    cheers
    col

9. MAV

MAV New Member

My kombi came with this kit installed,can anyone let me know what pads tthe kit uses????
    cheers,
    mark.

10. Subdub67

Subdub67 Active Member

Hey Felix, reading your post on the brake conversion, any chance you could repost the pics, photobucket is blocking them. Just bought a conversion kit off John so keen to get it done. Thanks Jp

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Alex is no longer active on the forum.
    Original thread was 2009.