1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Sliding Windows

Discussion in 'Body' started by Roy, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

Sorry mate can't get the quarter lights new, we sell new seals but not the frame itself.
    Full piece of glass in the back window is always good
    Cheers

2. Volksaddict

Volksaddict Member

...before they invented 'venetian cord' for fitting these we used electrical wire ...ie strip out a piece of wire from astandard household electric cable ..add abit of liquid soap ....boat chandlers sell the venetian cord

3. petegardem

petegardem Member

Guys ,
    you can also use WD40 or INOX , this helps keep rust at bay.
    cheers Pete.

4. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

Have fitted loads of windows with wd40.

Had a auto glass installer fail to fit glass on a converted van in the uk, i was busy but had to do them myself. I used wd40 to aid the sliding process and fitted all five rear windows on my own in about 2 hours. hands hurt afterwards tho.

I HATE CONVERTED PANEL VANS

5. Archeress

Archeress Guest

i bought 2 sliders from the bus stop...going to install them soon...i have the thread by roy of installing them complete with photos.....one question....when i have them in and i end up with new rubber s all around...whats the best thing to coat them with to protect them from the elements?.

6. Frank

Frank Active Member

Fitting Sliding Window to Bay

TIP!!

I just fitted two sliding windows to my bay. The first one I started from the bottom, then working around and up (following the same process as described in this thread).

Starting at the bottom was very difficult - took lots of hard pushing, and use of rubber mallet - however the second window I started from the top - took about 10 minutes, went in very easily. TRICK IS - start at the top.

7. coastaldream75

coastaldream75 Member

Just fitted mine last week,
    I'd say start from the top aswell, and the top middle, not near the corners!

I fitted all mine bar one on my own, so much easier with two people! but if you do it on your own I found it works alright to push the window in tightly, then start from the top and push it in against the lip as you go around with the cord.

and if your replacing all your windows I'd do the sliders last so you can have one arm in pulling the cord while the other one pushes the window (for the rear windows), that said its Definitely worth waiting for someone to help!

Pat

8. pluschinoz

pluschinoz New Member

Fittng side windows

Armorall protectant seems good for keeping rubber supple:p

Ian

9. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Replacing window seals

Does any one know if you can use deodorised fish oil as the lubricant when putting windows back in? It doesn't say that it will effect rubber but there is a warning "material may self ignite" that has me a little worried.

10. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

just use some soapy water or silicon spray.

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Put the spray on the rubber, not the paint.

The thinners in the fish oil may damage the rubber.

12. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Never done the side windows yet, but found two people and straight dish washing liquid awesome for the superbug windscreen. Lanolin spray also worked well on a mates windscreen....

13. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Ok, soapy water or lanolin spray it is, thanks:)

14. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

Just took delivery of sliding windows from Roy. Will attempt installation this afternoon. Also will be replacing a faulty brake switch.

Cheers to the Bus Stop. Great Service!!

15. madmaddy

madmaddy Member

Does the Sliding Latch on the sliding glass go towards the front of the bus or the rear.

Cheers

Jen

16. Misabi

Misabi Member

Hi guy's,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips on this and other threads about installing these windows. Because of you guys, I've just installed two in under an hour. If I'd had to work out how to do it all out for myself it would have taken hours. I used the sash cord method, but luckily had also picked up a couple of bike tyre levers as suggest by one of you fine KC'ers (sorry, can't remember who now) as the last section of each window (wich was a section about 3 or 4 inches long on the right hand side of both, got stuck and the string wouldn't get the rubber over the lip. So the tyre levers came in handy and were perfect for the job!

The first one was by myself and it took me about 20 mins to get the old one out then 10 to put the new one in. The second was with help and was done all up in less than 15 mins. They look great!

Sorry, got dragged out shopping mid comment :( but it did give me an excuse to try out the new windows :) everybody loves them, especially my dogs Miso & Wasabi, as they've now gots somewhere easy to hang their heads out of. Which is great as they don't try to push me out of the way to get to the drivers window anymore.
    [FONT=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][/FONT]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  17. KombiEvie

KombiEvie Member

great tips
    thank you

18. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Avoid this like the plague;). The components in it will cause rust:(.
    Cheers

syncro likes this.
  19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member