1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flywheel sensor?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by mr happy, May 21, 2018.

1. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Guys,
    Prior to me purchasing Alfie the engine was overhauled last year and the case changed due to a crack. Engine has not been back in the bus yet. There is what looks like a sensor mounted in the engine case on the flywheel, is this for a fuel injected bus? I'm going to be running dual solex carbies and the bus was in a million pieces when i bought it so i'm thinking the bus the replacement engine case came from was efi. Forgive my ignorance I'm just picking stuff up as i go along!!
    F1628A7E-9A76-44EA-B107-AF41388B3861.jpeg
    Regards

Mr h

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Chidori and mr happy like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I believe the plug you have circled is something to do with diagnostics during factory stages?

That is what I was told long ago

David H likes this.
  4. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

It's a magnetic pick up for the timing light and tacho for the diagnostic terminal that some vw's had that allowed them to be connected the vw specific tune-up machines at some dealerships.
    There's 2 pins on the flywheel that trigger it

David H and Grantus like this.
  5. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Cool, was wondering where i should be connecting it to, seems like nowhere, cheers fellas

Mr h

6. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Indeed. It is a shielded Inductive pickup that picks up 0 and 7.5 degrees btdc on the flywheel. I have the genuine VW tune up machine, use it almost daily as It is portable.. and also plug into the sensors where they are still serviceable to set distributor timing. V.A.G 1376. Also have the sensors stashed for future projects.

7. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

The sensor had it's own lead and plug that continued to the "vw diagnosis" socket.