1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula One

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantus, Mar 18, 2016.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Bogan free zone.

Grantus likes this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Cheers for that info Bert. :)

(I don’t really watch or follow their season, except see the updates in the sports segment of the nightly news....)

Makes sense to finally be a points paying part of their season. ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  4. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

It is a points round of the supercars this year

5. KahunaKombi

I don't delve too much into any of the political side of motor racing as to what's going on ....... just enjoy watching it all ....... only do free to air TV so highlights and rare full coverage which becomes limitied by all the advertisements :( and like you see updates through the media reports.

6. KahunaKombi

Nice afternoon spent watching events on channel 10 :eek:;):D

7. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

My view yesterday during qualifying :cool: 48DECE6B-1DE1-4100-9BA8-FFE1CF672A8D.jpeg

Grantus likes this.
  8. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

My cucumber sandwich view today :cool: TV screen close to keep track of race 7432D6AD-D572-431B-A1AF-5DEA377B539B.jpeg

Grantus likes this.
  9. Grantus

Beers in the fridge, TV fired up, Foxsports channel on.............

What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon? ;)

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  10. KahunaKombi

Telecast on again today .... listening and watching the Porsche's :eek:

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  11. Grantus

Absolute proof that the “Virtual Safety Car”, does not neutralise a race as intended, and make them all hold station......:confused:

12. KahunaKombi

Got to thank the rain gods ...... had a chore to do this pm but it started to rain = sit back with a beer and watch the taxis :eek: and slot cars :confused:

13. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

SkySports forgot to mention that Vettel was in fact the race leader at the time of VSC deployment. So no Vettel did not overtake Hamilton under VSC. He was already in front!

I may be wrong but it believe it was a result of Vettel being close to the Pit entry when the VSC was deployed and Hamilton on the other side of the track. Hamilton had to drive slower to adhere to the delta time and Vettel was able to get in and out before Hamilton reached pit ext.

14. Grantus

There was no doubt Vettel was in the lead , and didn’t “overtake under safety car”, as the others had pitted earlier, and when Vettel pitted, it would have resulted in him resuming 3rd place, even under a full safety car free pit stop.(Full speed allowed in sectors not affected, until you bunch up behind the safety car).

Even Vettel admitted how lucky he was that it was a VSC, which nailed everyone to sector limits, and he had the opportunity to gain from the non limited pit lane pit stop.

The problem I have, is that after instigating the VSC, which means all cars cruise by the scene of the stricken HAAS, at the same speed and position, it would never allow enough working time between passing cars for the marshalls to recover it safely, and so the actual safety car then needed to be deployed, to safely bunch the pack up behind it, giving the marshalls enough time required to remove the car.

Why not just deploy the safety car in the first place, as it was obviously needed?

VSC is not doing what it was supposedly intended to do.........................o_O

15. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I agree that the safety car should have been deployed straight away - there was no hope of that car being rescued from that location.

The point I was clarifying was that the sky commentators made out like Vettel "overtook" Hamilton when he didn't - he was already in front.

16. KahunaKombi

The Channel 10 commentators said Vettel got an 11 sec get out of jail card with the VSC because of the speed limits & with his 11 sec lead he got 22 secs gain ?????

I was wondering why the VSC so is it automatic when a slot car stops? Surely race control can see a full SC should be deployed SO is the race leader @ the time then picked up and maintains position 1 which to me is the fair situation - if you're leading you continue to hold the position under full safety.

Quite often the fastest car or rider does not win with course yellow.

17. Grantus

Yes, it looked good on paper...... but if the required safety car was deployed upfront, when it should have been, instead of the VSC, everyone could have run the the other sectors without yellow flags at race speed to then slow at the safety car. Had Vettel chosen to pit, (as he would have, being time to pit for him on a one stopper strategy, and under a safety car), he would have pitted from the lead, and rejoined in 3rd or worse.

He was the first to admit he got lucky, and Mercedes also admitted, they thought they had enough lead to allow for a VSC, from there calculations, but got it wrong.....

It was the second car from the Haas team unsafely released without all the wheel nuts secured that caused the incident......... hopefully some intensive pit crew training happening there before the next race in Bahrain. o_O

Nice long season to go, so I’m sure there’ll be other misfortunes to come. ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  18. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

was it a Ferrari engine car that caused it all what a bad show just like watching slot cars

19. Grantus

Funny.....why do you bother watching such a bad show? :p

Got no other channels on your TV? Just pull the power plug from the wall socket next time, to save you the grief....:D

20. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

used to watch cricket just looking for something else ha ha

Grantus likes this.