1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found Money and Handed into Police

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by heartland, Feb 21, 2008.

1. heartland

heartland New Member

Yesterday afternoon just near an ATM I found a $50 note just blowing around on the footpath - crisp new note - no one about anywhere - so I went to the local police station to hand it in - they were closed - so this morning after dropping the kids off at school I handed it in to the Police Station - I was given a record of receipt and if it's not claimed in 3 months its mine - if no one claims it I will donate to Ronald McDonald House - heres the thing - most people who I have mentioned it to said they would of kept it! It didn't seem right to me to just pocket it - what do others think? Would you hand it in or keep it?

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Hand it in... you never know when it could be your turn to lose something very valuable.

3. warb

warb Member

where is the police station???

4. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Good one.
    Nice to be encouraged to do the right thing by you guys.
    either someone will be very glad for your consideration or you will be rewarded for trying. Either way it's a very good outcome!

5. kaye and rex

kaye and rex New Member

I'm proud of you Miss Jane

cheers Kaye

6. HIP13

HIP13 Member

I can honestly say $50 would probably stay in my pocket. I cant say that i would ever go to a police station and say i lost $50 in the hope someone had handed it in...just seems trivial to me.

Numerous wallets i have found and handed back in...and always will. but i dont know about that $50

But pat on the back for you, well done. good karma coming your way

Cheers
    Luke

7. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

I'm proud of you to Jane - well done.

"Good people do good things because of the good in their hearts"

Rev.

8. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Jane it is a good thing you have done. Doubt whether the owner will think to try and collect it from a police station expecting it to just be gone forever but at least you know you have done the right thing in trying.

Heaps of Karma coming your way!

9. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Yay for you girlfriend. :D I would have done exactly the same. As everyone has already said, lots of good warm and fuzzies are due in your direction.

People don't seem to think that $50 is much money these days, but I do. There would be lots of little things that you could buy that were Kombi related. :)

10. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

I would have handed it in, thats a tank of fuel which may be the difference between somebody even getting to work to get another paycheck next week. Good work Jane

11. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

You did the right thing Jane.
    I went back through a MacDonalds drive thru once because I got too uch change...I have to balance a till at the end of each work day and I know how frustrating it is if it doesn't balance.
    I was also concerned that the young lady might get in trouble..
    $50 IS a lot of money to most people in this area and I'm sure it would make a big difference to get it back...good on you ..........Lorraine

12. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

You've got a big heart Jane.....

13. allan keenan

allan keenan New Member

be real you guys..inside a wallet as happened to me at the PA hosp. in brisbane, yes i tracked down the owner.this was tuesday this week.but i was reluctant to put my faith in the powers that be. economic times being what they are.I am as honest as the most honest person reading this but $50 floating around the footpath?Who was the owner?No way of knowing for sure.Me I would have pockeded it.

14. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

agree with you matt, i dont think it would enter the persons mind to go to cop shop. as far as he or she is concerned its long gone.

So for your honesty jane you will have $50 in 3 months.

If i picked it up blowing up the road, i think i would have pocketed it.

As for seeing a wallet on the ground i tend to walk past them and let somone else pick up. To many hassles.

brian

15. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia Member

Drinks all round

Out drinking with the girls in my late teens, I came across a purse left by the washbasin in the loos. There was no-one around, so I picked up the purse, which was stuffed full of cash. I went straight to the bar. I could have ordered cocktails all round with the loot, but I handed the purse in as lost property to the barman before making my way back to join my girlfriends.

One of them was being comforted by the rest, she was in hysterical tears. "I've just lost my purse..."

16. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

LOL...now THAT is funny....

17. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

IF i found a fifty laying on the ground i'd keep it.I could put it to very good use.
    IF i lost a fifty i wouldnt expect to see it again.I'd kick myself up the arse and move on.

18. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Nicely said steve.

19. heartland

heartland New Member

As some of you have said the person who lost it will probably not go to the Police Station - but my feelings were what if it was my 76 year old Mum - she would ring the police and ask as she likes to think the best of people and would probably just assume someone handed it in - naive in these times I guess but as a lot of you stated you too would hand it in.

If I lost $50 I would be p#@@d off to say the least but would also just get on with my day and not check at the police station.

However $50 is a lot of hard work for some people to earn and could be the difference between having a good or bad week - on the other side $50 to some is nothing and maybe whoever lost it didn't even realise.

Either way if it is not claimed I will be donating it to Ronald McDonald House - charities need it more than I do!:)

20. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

That is what I would do for sure.
    I honestly can say, i wouldn't take it to the Police or hand it in, but would definately be doing something that generated good Karma :) Ronald, Guide Dogs or something similar.

Rob J