1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fraser Island - Easter 2018 - SE QLD

Discussion in 'QLD' started by Beau, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Beau

Beau Member

Hey guys.

I mocked up a video of our recent Easter holidays trip to Fraser Island, Australia. Unfortunately, the weather was crap most of the time, so nearly no footage from the drone. Hope you enjoy the video.

Cheers

Syncro27, David H, Miss Rosie and 7 others like this.
  2. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Well done Beau, love it.
    Keep those videos coming.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Nice work :cool:

Makes one pine for the beaches.

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

It is just a magic spot. Great video.
    And good driving through Ngala Rocks.
    It can be a tricky bit of track. It claimed 2 of 5 of our party last year. How on earth did the Jeep think they were going to turn around on that soft sand run?

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Looks like you had fun

6. Beau

Beau Member

Haha, my words exactly. They were two mates - first in Jeep and behind him a Hilux. They went up and Hilux got bogged, radioed to the Jeep mate about it, so bloke stopped at that curvy bit and wanted to turn around and head back to help hilux..." Well, that didn't really turned out that well for him :) :) :)

Syncro27 and 68BUS like this.
  7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Pity they didn't try some ' low tide only' beach access tracks :rolleyes:

8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yep, there is one way in Ngala, Flog it until you on the other side then turn around and go back. We did not bother trying to snatch our mates out. Just walked back with max trax. Mind you he is scared to lower pressures. I had a light load in the ute, was running 15psi and still had to flog it up that first hill. Great fun once through though.

9. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Excellent work Beau. I stopped at Orchid beach last time I was there.
    Who needs a Syncro? (not mine)

10. Beau

Beau Member

Good stuff. This t5 was lucky to be there at “perfect” track condition. There was a 4 motion T5 there last year. Got stuck first time just after the pool (bottomed up) and then again 10 meters up the track. 2 hours to get him out and back :)

Syncro27 likes this.
  11. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

What fun! Think I will avoid Ngkala rocks for me :)
    Only tentative Beau, but am looking at a Morton trip mid August. Might turn it into a Syncro meet up?

12. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Awesome adventure Beau.

Not surprised the syncro made it but I am surprised the T5 4 motion did it without getting hung up.

I am sure a wet track would have helped that.

Try soft powdery churned up sand and I bet the T5 would struggle as it would sink in too far for its ground clearance.

13. Beau

Beau Member

Exactly, Scott. My mate in t5 last year didn't stand a chance (though he tried - a few times) :)

Andy - sounds like a deal :)

14. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

T5 Seikel MMmmm......
    OK, will let you know when plans progress re-Morton.

15. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Hi Richard.
    We've never been to Morton Island
    We won't be far away then.....keep us in the loop.
    Gerald

16. Syncro27

Moreton Island is great - all soft sand - especially after a long dry period which is what i found.

Its a great fun island and the track across the bottom end of the island is a lot of fun - well it was 15 years ago.

Plus the barge that takes you over was called the combie trader - very appropriate!

17. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yeah, moreton is a piece of cake so long as you are aware of what the weather has been doing. After long periods of little rain the Tangalooma bypass is definitely a 15psi tyre run.
    The rest of the island is not too bad. If traveling south of tangalooma on the West coast only run near low tide. Not much beach there.

We went in February and got the powder sand for a few days, then such heavy rain that we went out for some fun in a highly tuned 70 series (Turbo V8 pushing out 200+HP). And the whole island had turned to quick sand. So double diff locks, low range and giving the engine the run of its life. Had an absolute ball.
    The next morning we were speaking to one of the truck drivers running 37inch tyres. He struggled a lot getting through to Cowan even. But could see where we had been having fun the night before. Took a day for the tracks to settle down and a lot of people got stuck / broke parts doing it.

Couple of the photos of what the beach looked like every 50-100m. So much damage but I dare say it heals pretty quick.

Attached Files:

18. Syncro27

Wow, thats a serious wash away.

We went after a massive QLD adn NSW drought that brought in a lot of water restrictions as the dams got low everywhere.

We had the added bonus of coming through just after school holidays for QLD and the island was very well churned up.

We got a minor side wall puncture in the drivers side front when driving the Tangalooma by-pass down to the wrecks and that kept the tyre low with me constantly pumping it up the rest of the trip around the Island.

We also parked under a tree at the wrecks (hard to reverse park in sand I found) and a large branch of the tree fell on us while cooking dinner. managed to put my hand up and stop it hitting my syncro so no damage luckily. Beutiful spot though. There was only cold showers on the island then. But they were very refreshing.

Some nice perched lakes too.

Great fun you will all love it!

David H likes this.
  19. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

One of our crew got stuck on the Tangalooma bypass track because the Resort bus broke their diff. Not realizing it was serious the bus in front hooked onto them and tried to tow them out. Ripped the bumper off. 3rd bus was called in and ran out of fuel. Hilarious for us whilst he panicked about making the boat. They ended up holding the boat for everyone.
    It is a special place.

Attached Files:

David H and Syncro27 like this.
  20. Syncro27

Thats too funny :D