free camping byron area?

Discussion in 'NSW' started by petenkaz, Nov 5, 2007.

1. petenkaz

petenkaz Member

Hi

was wondering if anyone knows of any free camping in the byron / northern nsw area to save a wasted friday nights accom bill for the weekend away, and now with daylight savings in the rest of the world everyone's in bed by the time we get there. Don't want to risk the fine for overnight and can't think of any national parks or state forests in the area.

Any idea??

2. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    No use parking around the beach front as the rangers do the rounds....& up around the lighthouse area too.
    No free parking anywhere around the main CBD at all.
    Judy

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  3. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Fines for overnight will soon be not worth the time it takes to write them, I know two people who have successfully contested them (written to Transport and had them dismissed before it got to court) on the grounds that the Government is pushing people to stop and rest when tired, and that by overnighting they were actually just being sensible and following the Governments (Road Transport and Police) advice.

hdj80 likes this.
  4. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Always room at our place in Nimbin if you are coming through this way...............Lorraine

5. petenkaz

petenkaz Member

Thanks

Judy
    You know if we camped at your place Karyn would take off in that nice black beetle of yours! Will look you up next time we are down that way....hopefully soon.
    How's the splitty coming along?
    Was kind of hoping someone could suggest a nice national park in the back blocks somewhere, 20 minutes to the pass......

6. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

Your welcome anytime Babe... ;)
    Camping beachside is now patrolled big time here especially around this time of the year...
    I live in Suffolk Park (Byron Hills side) so I am only 3mins from Suffolk Beach ...
    & NO Kaz can't have the bug....remind me to double lock the garage when you visit...hehehe
    J x

7. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

That is brilliant!!!
    "Your Worship, we were having a 'fifteen minute powernap' in accordance with Government advice and we apologise but we seem to have overslept..."
    I love it!!!

I generally just prepare the bed before I get to my destination then late at night just slip into the bus and sleep away. I have not been detected yet. I think the trick is to not park anywhere really obvious, dont pop the top and have curtains. Instead of "on" the beach, just slide into a car spot across from the beach in a row of cars, or a car park where other vehicles are.
    In the morning you can just drive 50 metres, pop the top and cook a leisurely breckie right on the beach...or wherever you have chosen, they'll think you've been there since 5am for a surf.

In Melbourne I have a few "special spots" with water views right in the city. I toddle off to functions, slip back to the Hamburg Hotel and then freely set up for breckie...they wont know you have been there all night, or they wont be able to prove it at least! :)

When you have a Kombi the whole world is your hideout...

PeterCristine likes this.
  8. surfajoey

surfajoey New Member

qhwew in Melbourne do you normally camp???

9. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

Read in our local paper 2 days ago about action taken for those wishing to "camp" along beachside Suffolk Park..
    Residents have had a gutful of "happy campers" of all types parking in the street that runs along the beach front here...
    Sometimes up to 15 camper vans park along there any given night now... so the neighbours are complaining to the council about not putting up with it anymore..
    Why should campers be allowed to park in that street when residents have to pay BIG money to do that...
    (thats millions $$ not thousands $$ to live on that street now)
    So the council have to act on all the complaints now..

The campers can't say there are no tourist park sites available...Bilongil Fields Park is only totally filled 2 times a year (Splender in the Grass & The Blues Festival concerts)....
    they just don't want to pay to stay....bottom line

so please don't park on the streets as I can see laws with BIG heavy fines coming very soon for doing this here...
    Judy

10. splitbus07

splitbus07 New Member

The reasons the residents are getting "fed up" with all the vans is because most of the people that are camping are doing the right thing i.e keeping the noise down, taking their rubbish when they leave, but you get the accasional dick head that gets along there with the radio blearing at all hours of the night, and they get on the cans and start to yell, scream and trash things up, then they leave and all there rubish is still there.....

My old man had many bettles and kombis in his 'youth', and he said that back in 'his day' he use to be able to pull up at virtulay any spot he wanted to and camp. And he would get down there with all of his mates and 'lady friends' haha and stay for weeks on end if he wanted to....but he would get down to wherever and sure, have a few little brown bottles and have a but of Jethro Tull going, but he said (and his priest mate backed this up) that by 8-30 or 9 he would have the music right down and they would be only talking really quiet, there was none of this smashing bottles and yelling and screaming, they wanted to go back so they kept it down, and when they left all rubish and dead marriens where taken with them

But thies days, you go to pop the top up and the locals come running out telling you to bugger off cas they want to get some sleep tonight........now im gunna have troble finding somewhere to camp because of some idiots screwing it for the rest of us...

i hope you all agree

11. SueK

SueK New Member

Yeah I agree... there are always idiots who stuff everything up for everyone else. Thats the whole idea of buying a kombi, so you can have the freedom of the road, and million dollar ocean views... that change with the flick of an ignition switch. Why spend stupid amounts of money on a mansion by the sea? Sometimes I think those residents are just jealous because their possessions end up owning them and they can't just take off in a kombi and live the dream themselves! haha

12. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

Boy can I argue this one...

Well I moved here for the life style too...& I own a kombi too...& I have a nice house by the sea as well!!
    but most residents here get pissed off down here when they turn into there street & 10 vans are parked in their street EVERY night!!!...as most people would.

& now it isn't the "one idiot making trouble for everyone else"...its SEVERAL....a NIGHT!!..& none are doing "the right thing"!!!...
    They are coming into private peoples yards & pinching their water, throwing rubbish around & disturbing the neighbours drinking & think they are "having a great holiday"...at others expense....

I am a local & I go out & tell people to "Bugger Off" too

That is what free camping spots & caravan parks are for!!!

Judy

13. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

i love it when the rich and famous don't get their own way and i love it how that the great god money and the great social experiment called utilitarianism gets derailed because human beings are such a great mass of individuals and how ever much you try and herd them into certain paterns of behaviour with rules and regulations they will always in subtle and devious ways revolt.
    it must be sad how you and your neighbours have paid so much money for houses by the sea so near to the magic of byron bay and all of these louts come and spoil it for all of you how unthoughful and inconsiderate of them
    i suggest that you all organise yourselves into a neighbour hood group and partition the green and wonderfully caring ???? byron bay council to provide free!!!! parking and amenities for these louts cause they aren't going to go away however much you try and restrict their obvious unsocial behaviour.
    john

Dor Matt likes this.
  14. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

I missed this question...sorry! The rebirth of the post caused me to re-read it and have a chuckle!
    The best spot is the car park near waterfront city just on the western side of Telstra Dome. Open air, $10 overnight. Gravel car park on a couple of natural tiers, nice divide of trees, water views, great cafes for coffee in the morning or make your own, open the curtains and watch the boats at the Marina.
    Love it!

15. karstan

karstan Member

Judy...

you might see me around the streets with 3 other vans around new years...ill try and keep the noise down...but cant make any garentees :)

16. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

If you see me K come over & say Hi...:)
    Judy

17. VolksBartz

VolksBartz Member

I've regularly made the pilgrimage to Byron over the last 20 years (not quite a hippie!) I guess I just caught the end of the peaceful, commune vibe all those years ago. It is funny that most of the free spirited youth grow up, find the power of the dollar and want it all for themselves. It's a hard one as hard working Judy does deserve to enjoy her well earned peace. I think it's just a shame that the collective "everyone" are too self centred these days so you have loud drunk fools only caring about their fun and us poor old farts only caring about our quiet time. What I'd like to know is where is the "new byron" or should I say the "youngish byron" as I'm not into completely feral but it was nice walking down byron's main street at 6 or 7 in the morning with only a few happy chappies to say hello to. Alas the only time I get to Byron these days is the blues fest which is the worst time to be there but hey the music is great and this year I'll be in a kombi..woohoo!!! Hope to bump into some KC members while there.

18. Lumpybus

Lumpybus Member

Any Kombi Club members that want to free camp at my house in the hills behind Mullumbimby are welcome. Private Message me here for info/directions.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  19. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

Volks
    If your coming into Byron before Friday we could catch up
    if you like...
    Connie is staying at a caravan park near me from the Thursday...so may catch up with her late Thursday
    & you too if you like?
    Judy

20. VolksBartz

VolksBartz Member

It's my birthday on the Thursday the 9th..I'm driving up on the 8th or 9th but have to pick my wife up from Goldy airport as she can't get away earlier so we're staying on the Goldy thursday night. Then down to set up camp at Belongil on the Friday. Let me know if you'll still be around on friday or are you getting the hell out of Byron? Wouldn't blame you!
    Cheers