Fresh on the scene.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Anton Taylor, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

I service my buses every 3 months, oil change, plugs , points, check timing, tappets. Overkill maybe but I do a lot of Kms in them

2. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor Member

Nice thought doing a few KM's. Id like to think I will to.
    All sounds like good advice. Hows the gearbox, Pretty tough.
    Planning on putting her over the pit soon, like to have a real good look at the workings of it.

3. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Gear boxes are ok, bit of slop here and there but nothing major. One bus runs reduction hubs still other two are irs ‘d and have beetle boxes in them

4. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor Member

In response to the type 1 1600 engine and other mechanical parts.
    I probably need a good arsenal of places that stock and sell good quality VW parts. Any recommendations there.
    May start to disassemble van when I am back from work.
    Like the idea of removing engine and getting her running sweet.
    Cheers Anton

5. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Welcome Anton and congratulations.

There are a lot of parts available for the 1600 motor. The harder bit is picking the poor quality stuff from the good quality stuff. I've had a mix of both. Suffice to say that, if the part controls whether the kombi stops or goes, then in my opinion it's worth the extra time and money to make sure it's a high quality or good OEM part.
    I've used www.justkampers.com.au and found when I had a quality problem they were easy to deal with to get it sorted. Their web site has handy diagrams too to make part selection easier. There are plenty of other options though including online stores based in USA and UK.

Note that VW made a myriad of different carburettors and distributors. If you're looking to keep the motor original and preserve the great driveability, then your distributor and carburettor need to match each other and match the motor. Even seemingly identical carburettors have different "base flange numbers" which match different distributors. You can get away with changing it up a little, but you need to research what's compatible.

Also note that a lot of the information around is based on USA kombis. For example, the Bentley official VW service manual doesn't show aussie delivered specs in a lot of engine related areas (often related to differences in pollution control equipment, fuel injection, etc in later models, but also to engine number designations etc in earlier vehicles).

There are people on this forum who are absolute experts in most (if not all) areas of your Kombi. I'm not one of them; I'm just sharing a little bit I've learned in the last few years. There's plenty to learn and fortunately they're a helpful lot in here.

Jethro likes this.
  6. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor Member

Just started doing up the old girl so back again
    Just a question on seating
    Noticed the compliance plate states a 2 seater, wouldnt mind a 3
    Can you get bench seats for the lowlights
    Havent noticed any as yet
    Anyone had experience with with this issue
    Want to start thinking of this now

Attached Files:

7. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

If you live in N.S.W you want to change your seating capacity from 2 to 3 you will really need an engineers certificate then a blue slip then RMS. You have a walk thru model you have two options A) dick seat ,which are hard as hell to find one.
    B) M code 501 which is an option that turns a walk thru model into a 1/3 ,2/3 seating arrangement. They are also like rocking horse poo to find,(there was one on samba vw) Then you will need a 2/3 seat,which I assume you have already a 1/3 seat (drivers side)
    As far as I know bay kombis didn't have a full bench seat across the front like the earlier split screen kombis did.

David H likes this.
  8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Good manual answers a lot of questions. Bentley is recommended.
    As mentioned previously you will probably have a 1600 type 1 engine. Beetle style. Later Kombi's have type 4 engine 1700 to 2000 cc.
    Lots more bits and pieces available for type 1.
    Enjoy the ride!

9. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor Member

That engine will be coming out in the next week or 2, and going to take some photos. Gonna have a good look then and make and engine plan. Will probably have a lot of questions.

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Think you said Cummins is South Australia?

You might just need a Blue Plate and not an engineer?
    What is your interior? Cant find a pic.
    is it a camper set up inside?

If you are then you may want / need a rock n roll bed?
    That is an issue in that it will need to be engineered / ADR approved

If not - you could but a middle row seat in there?

11. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Anton good to talk to another S A KC member as well as read what they are doing with there vans , Cummins is over on the West Coast i believe so would not be to many VW mechs over there .
    I had my engine rebuilt 10 yrs ago and is still going strong, now has about 160 thou on the clock does not use any oil to speak of.I do have a routine of changing my oil every 3000 to 3500 ks and i only use Nulon semi synthetic 20/ 50 , any oil that can reduce friction within the motor has to be beneficial. I am not a mech so have to rely on what the mech that i use advises me to do as well as what people on this site tell me , so much knowledge here,Fuel consumption varies depends on driving habits and so on. Cheers mate
    Chris from Adelaide .....

welcome to the club ,hope we can at some point meet on the black stuff and catch up for a chat

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 3:56 PM
  12. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor Member

Be good
    Kombi is under the knife and will be for a while. (see resto corner) so she wont be on the road for a month or 2.
    Going to the west coast, let me know. Talk VW and may catch a fish.

chris taylor likes this.