1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freshly rebuilt engine - Oil light on!

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Chidori, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Oh no... I hate to be asking a question already about my freshly rebuilt engine but I'm quite concerned and want to get other people's opinions on if my concerns are valid and if I should be even more worried!

• When I got my engine back from the builder I noticed the oil light coming when I was stopped at stop lights or cornering. I spoke to the builder who thought there may have been a problem with the oil that he put in the engine - as the same thing happened to another kombi engine he had just rebuilt. Apparently thicker oil sorted that out and he suggested I take the same approach.
    • I drained that oil and put in a new filter and put in some fresh run in oil. Problem seemed to get worse and red light on more often when idling.
    • I drained that oil out and filled up with Penrite equivalent to 30 weight oil and yesterday after a run on the freeway the oil light was on at the lights when I got off the freeway.
    Of course I will be going back to my engine builder with this info... but I have read around the traps that this can happen with newly rebuilt engines... has anybody else had this experience? Should I be worried?
    I know my engine builder will be suggesting trying even thicker oil... but should a freshly rebuilt engine be requiring thicker oil than standard Type 4 engines would take??

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Possibly a loose wire maybe, worth a look see.

3. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Thanks Brian, have checked wiring as best as I can - seems ok - even replaced the connection to the oil pressure switch.
    I've only noticed it happening after a run on the freeway - so I guess once the engine gets warmed up and the oil thins out??

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Try changing the sensor but this is the same problem you had before?

Light coming on after a run is oil pressure and is of concern

I would be beg borrow or stealing an oil pressure gauge and see what really is going on.

Chidori likes this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Obviously must be fully acording to what builder says as I would be holding him to any warranty issues if any eventuate.
    Give him an accurate run down of symptoms and communicate with him.

I would not expect any pressure issues with a new well SPEC engine assuming no leaks, good bearing clearances, good oil pump and oil 15:40 or better.

First expectation is the oil pressure sensor is the high pressure variant.
    Roughly: one switches about 4psi, the other about 9psi.
    Either normaly fitted.
    although I would be expecting a new engine to be holding 9psi at idle there may be variables including the switch that are borderline in respect to the light coming on.
    And assuming normal oil temps .90_ish.

My option would be do a pressure test to establish actual oil pressures at hot idle and 3.5k hot.
    They are likely ok but no good worrying.
    Then swap oil sensor sender if necesary so you can rely on it.

I would definately not go higher than 20.60 weight oil on a sound engine.

6. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Thanks all.
    Engine builder is across this and has offered to rebuild the engine AGAIN - early next year. Lucky for me he is a top bloke. He has recommended a Penrite 15w-50 from Penrite to try out in the meantime.

Have ordered a new switch today from Mick Motors.
    I'll try and source a oil pressure gauge from somewhere. Anybody in Melbourne have one I can borrow? :)

Light is only on at low idle after a freeway run. Any sort of revs turn off the light.

What exactly inside a engine case can cause such a problem?
    Oil galleys are clear and have been checked after first rebuild. Oil pump was also swapped out after first rebuild. According the builder, everything was triple checked by himself and the machinist.
    Could a crack in the case somewhere cause this problem? I haven't seen any evidence of a crack (oil leaking).

I'm convinced this kombi has been cursed!!!

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

My pick is the switch

It usualy shows up after a quick stop from a hot run
    Don't Chase rainbows
    Just get mechanic or builder to do a pressure test with calibrated gear

8. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

9. deeksy62

deeksy62 Active Member

Bit of a left field thought, did you measure how much oil was put in the engine? Maybe the dipstick is not the right length and there is not enough oil in the motor? Just a thought

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

^......that has happened more than once to folks here !
    Great suggestion.
    Cheers,
    Mark

11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Was it a full rebuild or just the top end?

12. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Was a full rebuild... everything except the crank and flywheel was replaced - however I believe it was balanced / polished, etc.
    New heads, lifters, bearings, cam, pistons, rings, cylinders, oil cooler, oil pump, etc, etc.

Drove it from Melbourne to wye river over the weekend and back... to melbourne. Other than the horrible wind - there was no real issues. Red light came on after getting off the freeway at the traffic lights, but that was it. No funny noises, etc. If there was a oil pressure problem, i'm sure it would have seized around those hills and windy roads of the great ocean road!

The new switch is on it's way to me and new thicker oil has been purchased. 15w-50.

13. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

You are having a wild Kombi ride aren't you.. Nothing simple. Go the pressure test to be sure.

14. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Did the cam get run in upon first start up?

15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Excellent point!

Not enough volume = not enough pressure = light comes on...... :rolleyes:

16. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

I hope there is no Ryco oil filter fitted .pressure test is a must at this stage I would not be running it on the road until all is ok

syncro and Chidori like this.
  17. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Why no Ryco oil filter? I'm not across that issue....

Oil level has been checked again and again in various places to ensure that the level of the ground wasn't messing up the readings. All was good. I'm also already onto my 3rd oil in the engine - this new one will be the forth. At least I know all the run in metal shavings have been drained out!

Yep, cam has been run in for 20 mins at high revs immediately after oil pressure had been built up - on start up after rebuild - on a bench test by engine builder. The builder has been building aircooled vw engines all is life and is VERY well known around victoria - so I have faith that he knows what he's doing. The bench tester also includes oil pressure gauge.

New switch arrived from Mick Motors overnight, which is super fast - so will install tonight along with filling up with thicker oil - if the weather doesn't turn to poo poo here in Melbourne.

18. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

What's the issue with Ryco oil filters ???o_O

19. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Ryco oil filters and a number of other non German brands have been linked rightly or wrongly with oil problems after the fact. Some fit but have different internals such as drain back valves etc. Others the quality is suspect. I just save hassles and use Mahle or another German made brand. They are the same price and sometimes cheaper so why even think about it.

The other issue is the wrong dipstick which has been mentioned above. There are at least 2 times I have heard of the wrong one fitted in Type IV engines lately, so it may pay to check with some one else with a working bus to see if it is right.

Adrian

syncro and Chidori like this.
  20. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Good point re dipstick... the engine builder put this one in my bus because I had a temp sensor in there.. he didn't know i had a spare one under the seat.
    I'll try with my old one tonight and compare the two! Good thinking 99.