Front Beam Adjusters Questions

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Kombi Kiwi, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Kombi Kiwi

Kombi Kiwi Member

Not to sound too dumb :eek: but can anyone please tell me how front beam adjusters work? And how you adjust them? My bay has them fitted (by the previous owner) and I just like to know as much as I can about them.

Cheers
    Glen

2. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Loosen the nuts with a 19mm spanner and loosen the lockeing pin with a 6mm allen key then lift the body to raise or push down on body to lower.

3. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

unless I am mistaken, then you'll need to have a wheel alignment done? Jon, am I right?

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

If you want to get pedantic Wes.

I guess the cambers could do with a touch up and the toe ALWAYS needs adjusting.

5. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

You don't loosen the locking pin at all, locking pin holds the cam to the spring plates, only the 19 mm nuts need to be undone so the adjuster teeth disengage

6. t2

t2 New Member

hello, you do not need to loosen the grub screw , the spring plates have a dimple in the centre , the grub screw needs to be tight it locks the retaining bush to the spring plates in this dimple, when you lower the bus the retaining bush needs to turn , when it turns the spring plates need to turn with it , this changes the angle of the torsion arms lowering the bus.

to lower the bus you will need to jack up the front of the bus and put it on stands nice and high.
    support the wheel weight with a jack , you can do this by putting the jack under the ball joint and jack it up until its loaded without lifting the car, you only need to do this on one side , may even be easier to take off the wheel to give you more room.
    get a marker , go under the bus and mark a line on the side of the adjusters to show where the top and bottom lock plates are positioned on the adjusters.
    Undo the nuts on the adjuster lock plate slowly as the spring plate packs are sometimes set with tension against each other and can carry a load , keep your fingers clear , if the lock plate is not loose and free after undoing the nuts pry it off with a screw driver , do this on both adjusters for a drastic drop, or if you only want a small raise or drop do one adjuster at a time (this is probably the best way) , also be aware the wheels will now have nothing holding them in position (that is why the jack is holding the weight), sometimes there could be a release of the tension with a small bang
    Use the jack to raise or lower the beam, jack it up to the desired height (not the car the ball joint or wheel) little by little then check the teeth on the lock plate sits in the grooves nicely and lock the locking plate back on..
    i am sure if you made it this far you dont need any more help
    cheers

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  7. Kombi Kiwi

Kombi Kiwi Member

Thanks Guys. Its all been greatfully noted

8. karstan

karstan Member

For every notch you move the adjuster how much does the height change...if i was to lower another inche how many notches will i need to change ... and do i do both top and bottom at the same time ???

9. karstan

karstan Member

? anyone know

10. mitchellgolds

mitchellgolds Member

I have the indian automotive adjusters on my beam and every notch is around 15mm of height at the wheel. it would depend on the size of the teeth on the adjuster, bigger teeth on the adjuster would mean a bigger drop/raise, smaller teeth would mean a smaller drop/raise.
    When I say bigger teeth i mean a greater distance from one notch to the next.

11. karstan

karstan Member

Do you do the top and bottom at the same time ??...

12. jared

jared New Member

just a request....can someone post a picture of a kombi thats been lowers its full 2.5 inches just using the beam adjusters.

13. karstan

karstan Member

this is sitting on the bump stops ... mind you it has adjustable bump stop and the they have been half cut off.. but that is just adjusters[​IMG]

14. karstan

karstan Member

i tryed to do this this morning ... i got the nut off and the toothed plate but the screw wouldnt go up or down... it steyed in the same place... it was stuck ....Why ??

15. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Its stuck!

If you want to go lower carefully lower the jack. If you want to go up then you need to froo the adjuster. Mine is also not happy to move.

16. karstan

karstan Member

So what does one do to an adjuster that is stuck ! ? .... i lowered the jack completly and lifted it completly and gave it a few taps then a few harder ones .... but nothing.

ideas ?

17. karstan

karstan Member

I still cant find an answer to the problem .... how do i move it if its stuck ??

18. Schnidlee

Schnidlee Member

Once you have loosened off the nut and removed the toothed plate slowly lower the bus using a jack (you want the wheels on the ground). This will use the busses own weight to loosen it. Just make sure you LOWER IT SLOWLY! Once they move it breaks the hold and it should be pretty easy to adjust the height.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Works OK to go lower but if you want to raise? Challenge!

20. Schnidlee

Schnidlee Member

Once the adjusters move (even to go lower) they should loosen up and be easier to adjust either way. Once the initial hold has been broken if you jack it back up the weight of the wheels and spindles should be enough to lower the wheels and raise the bus!