Front Beam Adjusters Questions

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Kombi Kiwi, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes!

2. karstan

karstan Member

Awsome ... ill give it a go tomorrow. Lets hope it works.

3. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Didn't work for me :(

My bay is stuck at the lowest possible adjustment!

4. karstan

karstan Member

Hmmm Mine is pretty stuck ... I tried putting the jack under the bolt with a block of wood in between and lifting it.... but it lifted the car .... Whoops

Called paul and he said they are very tight in the beam ... and to drop around and he will give it ago..

But ill try the undo and lower slowly trick and see how i go...

5. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I had my bay on my 4 post hoist at work then got the mini jacks that run on the inside rails of the hoist and lifted it up by the chassis, the beam stayed in the lowered position so I got a few blokes to swing off the beam trying to lower the beam.
    No dice.
    So I didn't even bother doing the adjuster nuts back up, they are only finger tight.

6. karstan

karstan Member

So yours is stuck in low ... you cant raise the profile ?

can you lower it ???

7. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Can't go any lower and can't get it to raise any either.

Its a bumpy ride with 215/40/17 on the front!

8. Alpal

Boom Boom! It only hurts if you let it!

9. karstan

karstan Member

I agree ... its just a bump ... nothing a few new springs in the seat wont fix..

10. Alpal

Glutus maximus absorption

11. Schnidlee

Schnidlee Member

Well now i feel like a bit of a bastard don't i? :eek: I have always found (i have messed with mine many times) that once they move once they free up and can be moved up and down. Sorry to get you stuck in a tight spot Jon, good luck with it.

12. sikdub

sikdub New Member

I have installed my adjusters and followed the creative instructions an used a 14mm drill to remove the dimples. How freely should the centre boss in the beam move one this is done? Mine is hard as hell and doesn't move. Yes we did take off the steering mount and get rid of all 3 dimples too..

13. mitchellgolds

mitchellgolds Member

I followed the instructions to a "T" when narrowing and installing adjusters to my beam too. And once it was all back together and back under the ute I was not a happy chappy when I discovered it didn't adjust, I have since found out that when the adjuster plates are getting welded to the beam tubes you should have a length of 14mmx1.5mm thread threaded into the centre spring retainer and have someone continuously moving the centre retainer up and down inside the tube. Aparently this is so the tube does not distort and 'clamp' onto the retainer while it is getting welded.
    I am currently in the process of pulling the beam apart to fix this. By getting a piece of thick wall tube (slightly smaller diameter the bearings inside the tubes) and bashing the centre retainer from side to side until it gets easier to move, then I will get a length of 14mmx1.5mm thread and try to twist the retainer up and down. I dont have an oxy torch, however heating the tubes while doing all this would probably make the whole process easier.
    As I said I am in the process of doing it now so I can't give any positive or negative feedback on the outcome yet. Hopefully I wont be buying a new beam to start again.
    Cheers Mitchell

14. karstan

karstan Member

Tryed the other day lowerin it again but no luck ...

I undid the bottom nut took off the plate and got 4 of us two each side to jump up and down ... and no movment at all ... Grrrr.

15. karstan

karstan Member

howd you go with that mitchell?

16. mitchellgolds

mitchellgolds Member

Hey Karstan, it worked a treat. I had to knock each retainer about three times back and forth, but they did free up. I might just be a slow worker but it seemed to take an eternity to get the beam out, fix the problem and then get it all back under there.
    Cheers Mitchell

17. scotty*85

scotty*85 New Member

yeah thats the problem with welding them in, best to weld one side, leave for a bit and do other sides....one its all welded and before it cools down to much put the newer longer screw back in and put a 19mm socket over the top of the nut.drop in a touch of oil and twist the nut up and down in the slot of the adjusters(dont ding up the notches on the adjusters though)

taking your time is the key.

18. Subdub67

Subdub67 Member

Hey Mitchell, I know it's an older post, but I am having a problem with my Indian adjusters, engineer wanted me to raise the bus by 25mm but since undoing the adjusters its lower but the wheels won't come down, i live on the goldie too so any advise to get the arms down would help. Thanks Jon

joshp13 likes this.
  19. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Put it on jack stands, "under beam" and get 2 people to jump up and down on front wheels

20. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

Grease your beam. A lot. No one does this.