Front Beam Adjusters Questions

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Kombi Kiwi, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Subdub67

Subdub67 Member

image.jpg
    This is before...tyres rubbing, me scratching my head

Ok so beam is down, I called Indian automotive and Kimm sold the business a few years ago so wasn't sure how much help they would give but they were helpful, took the wheels, shocks off and bump stops off (these were made adjustable), did a trip to Bunnings and bought chain and shackles, this is what I did...

image.jpg
    DynaBolt and some off-cuts of a steel beam I had after a Reno on the house..

image.jpg
    You can see the adjusters centre grub screw had moved further south!! No amount of jumping on the wheels helped..
    image.jpg
    Chained down and jacking up, arms have to come down right?

image.jpg

Hell yeah!

image.jpg

Now adjuster grub screw is back to an acceptable position...

image.jpg

More acceptable height, and these are now a larger profile tyre, had too as engineer would not allow a load rating tyre of 88h, kombis are heavy so I now are running 91h load rated tyres... Hope this helps anyone that gets stuck. Jp

Attached Files:

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Good job. Tried to lift ours a few years ago and no go! Maybe try in the future?
    Lucky you did not lift the floor!

3. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Hey guys, any more great tips on this? Beyond bolting to the floor?
    I had a go today and she was locked up pretty good. It came free when putting the weight of the car on it by lowering the jack - took me to lowest setting. Then, like subdub I was stuck at lowest.
    After trying jumping on the wheels on both sides (strapped tyres to stop spinning so we could really go to town) but no dice. Tried jacking them down too by putting a scissor jack between tyre and guard with block of wood. That worked to a degree raising about a third of the way while jumping on the other side. But still lower than when I started.
    Kept jacking between guard and tyre but was putting a lot of force there so elected to stop as I can't have been far off severely denting or pushing a jack through to the seat.

At least it's drive able for now, but still keen to get it higher. Possibly going to take to mechanic if can't sort myself, as I expect this would be a common problem that their well setup to sort out.

4. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Dawned on me last night that I still had shocks connected and that they might have been at the end of their travel, possibly resisting us being able to load the torsion bar enough to rotate it.

I presume taking the shocks off before trying to lift could contribute to o the problem?

I plan to try again soon whilst taking shocks off.

5. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Depending on the type of shocks there would be a good amount of resistance or down force on the suspension which would prevent it being raised easily.

6. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

So update:
    Disconnected the shocks and had another go yesterday. Tried (1) pushing up in the guards with scissor jacks and pushing down on tyres, (2) jumping on tyres but not at same time as jacks as didn't want to bust tyres for fear of safety and hitting beam adjuster screw (with nut to protect) with hammer while loaded with jacks pushing down. In the end managed to move it twice a little bit each time. Surprisingly, it just slightly moved here or there but didn't suddenly free up as I thought it would.

So, moderate success. Bus is now about 20mm higher at the front than when I started a couple of weeks ago. This translates to still sitting about 50mm lower than stock, based on the dimensions I've been able to find, which I'll post on another thread for info for others. Would really like another 25mm lift so it's only slightly less than stock but short of taking it to a shop I'm fresh out of ideas to move it. SubDub, do you still have those dynabolts in your floor? I'm in a rental so can't drill into my driveway concrete slab...

Another issue I noticed was even if I can get it to drop lower the top beam adjuster nut will then be resting on the gear linking arm (not sure what it's called). As it is, it was quite difficult to get the nut onto the screw owing to the gear linking arm (thing0) abstructing the linkage.

Even if I can't move it any further it's better than it was. Can still barely squeeze in bump stops, however, which will be the topic of another thread.

Alpal, what did you end up doing with your adjusters. Just forever treating them as not adjustable? Or did you take them to a mechanic or someone who had some tricks to free it up?

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

We just grin and bear it! Life is tough..

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If you have compressed air and a rattle gun , try that against the adjuster to vibrate it while downward loaded.
    Might dislodge a bit ?

9. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Could be a case of taking it apart, leave beam in bus, take arms off and springs out and belting the centre retainer back and forth, you will need a piece is steel dowel and a sledge hammer

steve_4802 likes this.
  10. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Persistence ended up getting me there. That and a bigger hammer with a bigger swing (onto nut not thread!).

Bus is now sitting happily about 1.5 inches higher than before and about 1.5 below stock. Any higher lift and I would have had to modify shift rod, but like the current height as an upper limit I think.

One happy camper.

David H likes this.