1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front brakes and suspension mechanic price

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Happy_Camper, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

hey guys just wondering what sort of price I can expect to pay to get a VW mechanic to replace my front brakes (calipers, pads, hoses etc, ball joints, shockies, centrepin, etc) if I supply parts. Any opinions are welcome. I'm getting a quote and don't want to be ripped off. I could do brakes and shockies myself but thought I will just see how much to get him to do the lot.

Cheers Guys!
    Matt

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

It is difficult to say.
    If you are getting quotes you obviously don't have a relationship with the mechanic.
    You are supplying parts so the mechanic has no buffer in his price.

Labour repairs on a 40 year old car is very vague. A ball joint can take 5 min to remove or a week. Well -you get my point.

Bleeding brakes with new stuff can still be an experience.

Anyway I would be surprised if you would get change from a weeks labour for a FULL front end rebuild

kombiing likes this.
  3. Happy_Camper

Yeah completely understand what you mean, just hoping it's not going to send me broke haha.

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

And the quote is??

5. Happy_Camper

Not sure yet, still waiting to hear back, just wanted an idea so I don't jump in only to find out later what I should've been charged.

6. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Not much change out of a grand is my guess

7. Happy_Camper

Okay great was hoping for about $1000, just have to wait and see.

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

My VW mechanic clearly has a sign stating that he will not fit owner supplied parts.

This is not because of "no profit margin" for him, it's come about because cheap Ebay parts that fail, reflect on his workmanship, and he'd rather offer back up and replacement to his customers for all work, if he's fitted quality parts that he's supplied.

StevieVW likes this.
  9. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

I've got a VW mechanic not far from me who will fit parts supplied by customers but always says he won't warranty the parts if they fail however he will replace with his own parts at the owners expense !! So it's a risk you take if buying eBay parts !! I wouldn't expect much change out of 1k (all going well) but would allow about another $500 in case it all goes pear shaped !! I'd be interested to see what the "Quote" comes in at ??? :)

StevieVW likes this.
  10. Happy_Camper

Okay mechanic had no issues in fitting my parts, don't worry they're not cheap eBay parts, I try to only buy German, all parts from Roy at the busstop and some parts from VW Heritage in the UK. I brought all the parts thinking I'll fit them myself but just don't have the time and think doing the centrepin is out of my league at this stage.

11. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Also do your drag link, tie rods and steering damper as well

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Check for wear on bearings and bushes in torsion tubes .
    Check how tight the new ball joints are once fitted and centrepin before everything is fully assembled so that you know where any stiffness in steering might be located in case that eventuates.

13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

My mechanic is fine also but we have a long term understanding.
    I do a lot of work my self but for bigger jobs I'm happy to pay him.
    If he dudded me I take my business elsewhere.
    We have 5 ww's in the family so he would loose in the long run
    So far we both have benefitted

14. Happy_Camper

Yep I had a look today, definitely confirms all those need replacing. That what comes from sitting for 10 years I guess.

Yeah it's going straight from the mechanic for its blueslip so going to instruct the mechanic to ensure everything is all good before it goes.

Yeah I completely understand, I've used this mechanic for a few things and his a nice bloke.

15. Happy_Camper

Still haven't received the quote, might be time to go elsewhere unfortunately.
    Anyone know reliable and reasonable VW mechanics on the mid north coast?