1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front disc brake retaining pins

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by SUTTO, Sep 13, 2016.

1. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Last month I have been hearing a slight squeaking sound coming from my front right wheel on my 75 bay. It has been getting worse, intermittent but always seems to stop when I apply the brakes. Other times the front brakes squealed like anything, it was so loud.

So I made the assumption that I may need new front disk brake components or that my bearings may be screwed as well. As such I was doing a bit of research on parts needed online and thought I should have a look underneath the car to get familiar.

This is what I found:

Left caliper
    [​IMG]

Right caliper
    [​IMG]

The retaining pins have come out of both sides, leaving one part of the disc brake pads unsupported on each side. I was pretty quick to fix the issue and place the pins back where they belong and I no longer have the squeaking or squealing sounds when driving about.

So I am pretty unfamiliar with disc breaks, is this a common issue? Is it a warning to a much bigger issue on the whole?

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

3. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Looks like one of the pins has a split pin on it but not on the rest, is there anything that is meant to holds the pins in or does it just rely on pressure from the springs ?
    Not a good system at all.

4. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

Have another look at the link and your pins. They should have split circular springs on the ends to retain the pins.

5. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

No split pins on any of them. Having a look at the JK parts Cbus linked, are the black rubber looking things on the end what should be keeping the pins in? I thought that the pressure from the springs alone was what kept them in?

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Correct.
    They are split as old dubber mentioned.
    They are a easy press fit and work well.
    Pretty expensive for the replacement pins but unless you can find some old ones in good nick its the only option.
    Doesnt hurt to refresh some of those parts anyway.
    Most are old and its a safety item

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Were they installed correctly? Need to be punched home when re-fitting..

8. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Another option is drill the protruding end & fit a 1mm split pin, or I may have a used set to help you out if you need them but send a PM if you do.

9. Ben49

Ben49 Active Member

For those interested ...

Kombis, I've discovered, were fitted with different brands of calipers in different years - some models had ATE calipers while others were fitted with the bigger 'Girling' calipers. The pics above look like the ATE calipers - two bleed screws and standard hex-head bolts holding the two halves together. See the comparison pic below.

ATE and Girling.jpg \
    ATE left. Girling right.

The ATE pad-retaining pins use a compression ring to hold them in place and also have a step in the shaft at the other end. See pic. These are the ones JK sell and erroneously describe as fitting 'all T2 Bays from 1972 onward'. They don't fit the Girling.

ATE Pin.jpg
    ATE pin.

The Girling pins look like a big nail and use a 'P' clip retainer and have no step. See pic. The pins are not interchangeable.

Girling Pin.jpg
    Girling pin.

I found the piston seals and dust boots for the Girling caliper at Das Resto Parts, Qld.

Hope this helps.

Grantus, Barry and cbus like this.
  10. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Jeez that post is informative, good work mate!

11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that Ben. Something new for me and well explained.
    Antony one know which on which Kombi's the ATE were used??

12. Ben49

Ben49 Active Member

Thanks Sutto and Alpal. Muir's Idiots Guide (19th ed. p.335) lists changes to the Bus as:
    1972 - Type IV 1700cc pancake engine with dual carbs ...
    1973 - new, heavier disc brakes ... (but doesn't mention brands)
    1974 - engine size increased to 1795cc ... and ... a larger brake booster.

I read that as 'bigger brakes for the bigger engines' - but that configuration was for the American market. What was done for the European/Australian markets I can't say - but it would make good production sense for VW to make things standard for all markets as soon as they could. (This is me guessing what was probably decided at a VW production meeting 40-odd years ago :p :p).

From this I'd say that, generally, the ATE calipers were fitted to vehicles with engines up to 1600cc.

I have a '75 1800cc Bay that had the larger Girlings fitted. Mechanically, both the ATE and the Girling calipers will fit.

Cheers

13. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Just had a squiz at my calipers to see what seal kit to order and after looking at the pics above i can confirm that my calipers are ATE, the discs havent been machined and are 11mm thick and has the thicker pads fitted ?
    Build plate says 7/74.

14. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Tooley Imports at Hornsby 94762888 usually have the kits in stock.