1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front disc brake upgrade T3

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by peter915, Nov 19, 2015.

1. peter915

peter915 Guest

Disc brake upgrade for a T3
    I know there are upgrade kits available from OS,
    Does anyone know of a local kit? Or can parts be combined from other vehicles in the VW stable?
    Peter

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Why do you want to do this? Are you upgrading the motor or do you think the brAkes are under powered?

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I run stock brakes, (and stock 2.1's) in both T3's, and never had an issue that made me feel the necessity to change them......

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Syncro brakes are poor. 2WD are OK.

5. peter915

peter915 Guest

Like your Syncro Phil
    Yes, I'm sure the added drive train in the Syncro is detrimental to the over-all brake performance.
    After all, the brakes are identical to a standard T3 and yet the Syncro adds axles, diffs, prop shaft, etc to the added brake effect.
    I know Small Car do a dual piston caliper kit with 11" discs.
    My original reference at the beginning of this thread was to inquire if anyone knows if for example the brakes from a large LT van could be adapted?
    I assume the original discs are 250mm - 10" discs.
    With single piston calipers.

6. t3 Ed

t3 Ed Member

Hey,Peter, I have the van cafe kit on my syncro and is much better than stock. Wheels have to be at least 15 inch. I know the rotors are from a year 2000ish passat & think the calipers are from the same but not sure. If you've got the time to look around wreckers yards then base your search around passats or Audi's of that vintage. Ed

7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I saw these lovely brakes of Ed's and I am smitten.

They look great and are huge.

Going down those steep hills with my syncro and a large heavy trailer had me very worried with standard brakes.

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The syncro 16" uses LT brakes.

All of the conversions that I know about require 15" wheels.

9. peter915

peter915 Guest

My Syncro already has 16" wheels.
    Does anyone know the LT VW are simply a bolt on conversion.
    I just wrote to First Auto Parts for a price on second hand LT parts.
    It would be an interesting upgrade.
    Peter

10. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

Have you started working in the shed yet? Still to Drop in and check out your Syncro
    pete

11. peter915

peter915 Guest

Pete
    Yep, down at my shed, but doing house doors at the moment - stripping them of their 6 coats of various paint - what a job!
    Got 11 doors to do.... Grrrr...!
    Tried a small patch (trail) of Peel Away paint stripper on the van roof today - just to see how it works - ready to peel off on Sunday

Call first if you're about - should be around off and on most of the weekend
    Peter

12. Grantus

Leave the peelaway 8 at least till Monday or even Tuesday.....72 hours from application was OK, but 96 hours worked even better (if it is going to work ; ie, no 2 pac paint in the layers.)

24 to 48 hours if you are using it on timber doors, as it can start to eat into the timber fibres if left too long, but on a metal roof, it stops at the metal...;)

Keep us up to date.....:)

13. peter915

peter915 Guest

Grant
    Yep - will leave longer then. No rush.
    Paint is standard VW original paint.
    Curious to see how it goes.
    What do you neutralize the surface with after removal of Peel away?
    Peter

14. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Getting back on track, I am currently building a 312mm/audi kit for my 2wd (yes I think the stock brakes are scary) Not sure what needs to be changed for a syncro though, I would need a hub and spindle to measure up.
    The set up is basically the VanCafe kit but 312 instead of 288mm (need 16s)
    Where are you Peter? I would like to measure the difference between the hub/caliper spacings of the 2WD/syncro.

15. Grantus

Assuming it's Peelaway 8, not the toxic more traditional one, just hose it down and allow to dry throughly........

I found it stopped working once exposed to air, like trying to strip air vents, the product just dried up to an inert powder.;)

16. peter915

peter915 Guest

I see threads on Samba about guys using Audi brake parts

Nils
    So are you trying to source parts local here in Oz to make a kit?
    I'm on the Sunshine Coast.
    Once my van is in dry dock proper - I'd be happy to pull the front hub axle to pieces to find out measurements or send photos or what ever to work it out?
    The thread on The Samba http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242786
    Quotes using Audi 5000 parts, but I had a look on a cross reference and other Audi use the same parts
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-...ash=item419c1a8fce:g:EesAAOSw~gRV6uDl&vxp=mtr
    Happy to help out
    Peter

17. nils

nils Well-Known Member

The 5000 calipers are very popular for this application, but I decided they were a bit thin on the ground here and went with the 57mm ATE calipers that are on thousands of VW and AUDIs from '98 to '04. (same ones van cafe are using)
    these come in 2 different caliper mount spacings, 98mm and 146mm. I went with the larger so that so there is more scope for future upgrade.
    Like the Audi S line brakes, Mmm.......

Audi A4 A5 B8 Brake Upgrade Kit (S4 B8 Caliper Discs Pads Lines) | Brakes & Suspension | Gumtree Australia Inner Sydney - Newtown | 1084073489 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/newt...it-s4-b8-caliper-discs-pads-lines-/1084073489

18. nils

nils Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I knew I had photos floating around somewhere

19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

How about the booster upgrade?

20. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member