1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front disc brake upgrade T3

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by peter915, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Patients grasshopper :)

2. peter915

peter915 Guest

The Audi upgrade is well documented on the Net - thought I linked to it before.
    No adapters - the G60 caliper almost fits the same mount - open the 12mm holes to 16mm and elongate the hole slightly
    space off the caliper some 8mm.
    Thats about it - maybe alter rotor diameter,

Yes, I like the Porsche option, but this option is simpler and cheaper.

3. nils

nils Well-Known Member

SUCCESS! Finally I have managed all the parts to work together as expected. There were a few false starts with the adapter that have been holding me back and I made a measuring error that resulted in the disc not sitting 100% in the middle of the carrier.
    None the less, road testing today brought very favorable results :) The pedal feels no different at all, so I imagine that the brake booster mod is what you would do to change that. for the most part you would not know that the brakes have been changed at all, just as soon as you give that pedal that little bit extra than you would it any normal situation you find yourself stopping very quickly indeed. Though admittedly the last time I made a purposeful emergency stop I also was running 185 LT tyres instead of a shiny new set of pirellis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now in usual fashion, as soon as I have finished something I can already see a better way of doing this the next time. I have found some better sized (for application) rotors that have a 3.5mm taller hat that will center the disc better and end in a better sized adapter, as well as the ID of the hat is larger, meaning less machine work on the hubs to be carried out

Luckyphil likes this.
  4. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

Hey Looks good those studs are long what rims are they pitch and offset ?
    Cheers

5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

yeah the picture was taken before I gave them a trim, but I do think my rims are rather thick.
    They are just a 16x7 ET 37 Mercedes rim, nothing flash.
    with the extra thickness of the disc I now have a effective offset of 30 (29.8 technically) which bring things nice and close to factory standards

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I have just worked out why you needed the upgrade. You have 16" wheels. I just have 14" 205/75 so the standard discs are fine.:oops:

7. nils

nils Well-Known Member

just needed something to fill in the gap really :D

8. peter915

peter915 Guest

Interesting - the interest in the wheels?

So Nils - what are the Calipers you're using ?
    The mounting adapter bracket - where, & who ?

Looks good Dude

9. nils

nils Well-Known Member

thanks Peter,
    the wheels can be found on late 90's C and E class (I think) they are very common and incredibly cheap, my set of 5 cost me $200. I know a wrecker with some more if anyone was swinging that way. The cost of fastening hardware far outweighs the wheels. P/N 203 401 0302 for mine

10. nils

nils Well-Known Member

the calipers are the 57ATE caliper from '98-'04 Audi A4 and its attached variants (passat, Golf, skoda ect.) ther are 2 variants of the caliper carrier one 146mm and the other smaller 90something, still working on part numbers here.

11. nils

nils Well-Known Member

the rotor is brembo P/N 09.8690.10

But as mentioned before I think I have found a better rotor for the application. So hold out on what I find there.

12. nils

nils Well-Known Member

and the adapter is made by me and am slowly grinding though the engineering side (its hugely expensive now) anyone interested in joining me would save themselves ALOT of coin doing the same mod at the same time.

In time I could supply the bracket made from 316 stainless including engineering reports for about $500-800. Keep in mind you still will need an engineer to sign off on the end, but wound not have to do the road test and designs

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Do you really need the brackets made from stainless. It could cause corrosion in the bolts and adjacent steel.

14. nils

nils Well-Known Member

that is a good point Phill, I wanted the stainless for that extra stiffness it provides, maybe something hardened is worthwhile looking into.

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

They had to write off a few railway carriages because of electrolysis between stainless and steel.

16. nils

nils Well-Known Member

thanks for the reality check there Phill, guess we often forget about that stainless being rather reactive to other metals

17. peter915

peter915 Guest

Nils
    A few images or drawings just to clarify what you've used

The rotor you used in your modification

[​IMG]

The standard Syncro Rotor

[​IMG]

These are the rotors I plan on using

[​IMG]

This example from David Marshall using the 288mm rotor and G60 caliper
    If you do the maths you can see the difference of the rotor centre moving in the different models and the spaces need to adapt the caliper. David used washers to space the caliper 8mm.
    [​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  18. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Love your plans there Peter.

If you find a good reasonably priced source for your set up please inform us with Syncros.

Thanks,

Scott

19. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I see now that although the Syncro and the 2WD share the same calipers that there is a 25mm difference between the disc and the wheel mounting face.

except the distance between our mounting holes, our cars share nothing in common. Interesting.

the rotor you have pictured is indeed the one I am using, by the looks the rotor you plan on using is the 288mm version of the same.

20. peter915

peter915 Guest

Yes - the Syncro has a rotor which is separate to the hub, while the 2WD version has a common rotor and hub in one piece.
    This makes I think the Syncro easier to upgrade the brakes
    As I write I am waiting for the G60 Audi calipers I ordered last week to show - hopefully this week. From a wrecker in Sydney.
    Watch this space
    Peter