1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front door alignment - striker adjustment

Discussion in 'Body' started by steve_4802, Aug 29, 2012.

1. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

OK, so both front doors are fairly close with their alignment at front, but hanging about 3-4mm proud at the back so seems I need to adjust the striker plate to allow the door to close further and align with body at rear of door.

I've got the bentley manual and it explains (in figure 5.5) that I just move the striker plate in and out. However, it's screwed with countersunk screws that self locate so how is this possible? How do I move the striker plate in or out? Regardless of where I want it to be won't the countersunk screws push it back to the same place? What am I missing?

Wow, that' s a lot of questions for two lines!

Cheers

2. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

The threaded bits move a little bit, with the screws loosened up a tad there's about 3/4" or so of movement available. It also adjusts up and down so you can line up the door in that dimension as well.

3. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Aah, so if I loosen the screws a little I should be able to push it around? So the threaded bits act like nuts in a slotted hole? I don't have the bus with me a the moment so will have a better look when I'm next with it.

4. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Does that mean if I take the striker plate off I risk the threaded part falling inside the pillar and won't be able to retrieve it?

5. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

That's right!

6. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Not usually, no.

7. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Hmm, so I had a play with it tonight. Was able to move it in and out as I please so that side of things was good. However, it seems the problem lies in the fact that the door won't close properly. By that I mean, even if I take the striker off and just check to make sure the door will close all the way it doesn't close to nearer than about 5mm, and that's pushing pretty hard on the door.

It's nearly as if the seals are too big. Any thoughts? The seals look to be all the way in.

8. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Perhaps you guys would be kind enough to measure the depth from the outside edge of the pillar to the lip that the seal sits on. If it's similar to mine then it's likely that my seal is sticking out too much, but as I said I think it looks ok..

I'm a bit stumped. I just figured it was a hardware problem, but it seems the door just won't close. It's fairly even at the top and bottom too, so it's not like the top is bottoming out and stopping the lower part of the door pushing in.

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

if seals are 'genuine'vw and from brazil they are too hard and the door will not close. doesnt improve either. they will be a well moulded item with a compound that has less give than the german made ones..

you could grind some rubber off the back edge around any areas that are tight. usualy near the retaining arm that holds door open and the rear lower corner.
    dont have too much pressure on the door when closed this will put excess load on opening mechanism when you open it

col

10. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Just picking up on this thread, in case it helps explain my situation. As Steve has experienced, my doors are a little proud but the seal seemed to be good. However, in the rains over the weekend, the front step-in on the drivers side filled up like a small pond. Cause my beast was parked passenger side downhill, the water didn't flow away I guess ... but it seemed odd that so much water would get in there in the first place. Door seal or maybe somewhere else to look?

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

If it was a T3, I'd be looking under the rubber at the bottom corner of the windscreen.......and would find the metal that was there when it left the factory, is no longer there, & has become a drain hole to allow rain from the outside to the inside. :eek:

12. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Don't think so ... or at least hope not ... as the front is relatively new so should be all good. But I am going to check ;)

13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I hope not either, for your sake. ;)

Door adjustment, or new seal is a way easier fix.

14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Gordon,
    First...what are your exterior window rubbers like?
    Second....as you say....door seals & angle of weather to Pompi.
    Third...check under drivers door for rust in the door horizontal bit next to seat.
    Fourth...check drain hole at base of door (outside door rubber) is clear
    Cheers

Gordon D likes this.
  15. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Thanks David ... will look into 3 & 4 tomorrow.
    As to 1, on the driver's side they are pretty good ... quite new (the passenger side is a different story) so was a bit surprised by the amount of water in the step-in. I will have another look tomorrow.