1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front door locks 67 Split.

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by John, Jul 28, 2019.

1. John

John Member

Both Front door locks failed today. Removed door cards and had a play around with locks, no progress. Is this a key, worn barrel issue and I need to replace mechanism or is there something simpler that i cant see.
    Cheers

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey John, when you say failed.....exactly do you mean....?
    Does the key keep turning through 360 degrees ?, does the key seem to work but the lock doesn’t open ?,
    Is there minimal pressure on the lock when you turn the key ..?
    Could be anything from shattered wafers, dislodged actuator linkage, worn key.....etc.
    Additional info of symptoms will help the diagnosis..
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    David H likes this.
  3. John

John Member

Thanks Mark. The locks have never been great. However, now when you turn the key it feels like its locking as you can feel some pressure. However, nothing is engaging. Key only turns half way as it has always done.

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Cracked barrel be the most likely culprit John;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  5. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey John,
    Also check the tab that the door handle push button engages against. I remember when I first had my bus he door was not locking. I took the mechanism out and had to bend a little tab back out towards the outside of the car door. When I pushed the thumb button on the outside of the door, this would go in and move this tab in question which in turn operated the door latch. When the door is locked this tab does not move.
    After doing this simple repair I remember thinking that if you really wanted to break in you would just need to put a lot of force on the door button press and bend this tab inside again making the door locks useless.
    Sorry for the vague description, it was several years ago. Hopefully makes sense if you are looking at the door mech.

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I feel like it is this little bit I am remembering. And it so it was most likely that I had to use multigrips to rotate it back 90degrees to the body again.

Door Latch 1.PNG Door latch 2.PNG

7. John

John Member

Thanks all for the feedback. Will pull apart and see where it takes me. However, agree with the lock comment, they are pretty superficial particularly on splits.