Fuel economy?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Jenny Frappell, Oct 7, 2016.

1. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

We bought a new Honda Odesy in 2015 and surprise ,surprise get in a side wind and it does much the same as Kombi ,maybe not to the same extent but it still does it.

Maxa1967, David H and oldman like this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Coming back from the Snowy in the 80's Kombi got picked up by a gust & moved 3 lanes left & only stopped when we got close to edge barrier that changed the way the wind worked. I lifted my left foot in anticipation of impact!:eek:
    Cheers

chris taylor likes this.
  3. chris taylor

David I know that feeling well enough, when I first bought the bay window van so many years ago it was horrendous , real scary stuff, but the odd thing if I can recall correctly was the 56 splitter I had didn't do it and I had that for 10 years { or maybe it didn't go fast enough to do it}, but any how since I have put L/trucks on the bay it seems ok now or nowhere as bad as it used to be, or I have just got used to it .

4. chris taylor

here here, in the end ,does it really matter, I used to be concerned once but ,hell, if I'm going to worry about fuel economy I'm not going to enjoy the drive, if there is no great change one or the other then all must be ok.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  5. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

6. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Just drove the kombi to work today just over 630km and averaged 8.1 k's/l including 50km of dirt a gain of .4 of a km after removing the sunvisor , sitting on 100 k's.

Resnort and chris taylor like this.
  7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

That's 12.35 ltr / 100 km.
    Try cruising on 90-95 kph.....you'll be surprised how much better the economy will be ;).....and you won't get there much later !
    Fuel economy depends as much on your driving habits as having the engine set up properly.
    Cheers,
    Mark

paul77 and chris taylor like this.
  8. chris taylor

How true Mark, i always like to sit around the 80 to 90 klm mark , it handles better,uses a lot less fuel , and above all else i get to see the country we live in, not just the black stuff....:):):):)

9. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Finished a stint at work and on the way home sat on 90k's for the first 310km averaged 8.69k's/l carrying nearly 1/2t of tools. Stepped it back up to 100k's after being passed by a tripple and being sprayed with cow piss, raised the oil temp up to 98c sitting on 3375rpm and back to 8.1 k/l . Not much different fuel use to my old hilux but a better ride.

10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Driving in the slipstream to get that better consumption Maxa?
    Always a better ride in a Kombi. Fast or slow it's how you enjoy it.
    Cheers

chris taylor likes this.
  11. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Slipstream!! You'd need the wipers on and a cloths peg. I'll rephrase that. I sped up so as not to be passed and sprayed by the following one, a bit daunting having a prime mover and 3double decks come round you. Usually l'm the one doing the passing, but still an enjoyable way to spend half a day

chris taylor and David H like this.