Fuel economy?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Jenny Frappell, Oct 7, 2016.

1. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

We bought a new Honda Odesy in 2015 and surprise ,surprise get in a side wind and it does much the same as Kombi ,maybe not to the same extent but it still does it.

Maxa1967, David H and oldman like this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Coming back from the Snowy in the 80's Kombi got picked up by a gust & moved 3 lanes left & only stopped when we got close to edge barrier that changed the way the wind worked. I lifted my left foot in anticipation of impact!:eek:
    Cheers

chris taylor likes this.
  3. chris taylor

David I know that feeling well enough, when I first bought the bay window van so many years ago it was horrendous , real scary stuff, but the odd thing if I can recall correctly was the 56 splitter I had didn't do it and I had that for 10 years { or maybe it didn't go fast enough to do it}, but any how since I have put L/trucks on the bay it seems ok now or nowhere as bad as it used to be, or I have just got used to it .

4. chris taylor

here here, in the end ,does it really matter, I used to be concerned once but ,hell, if I'm going to worry about fuel economy I'm not going to enjoy the drive, if there is no great change one or the other then all must be ok.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  5. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

6. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Just drove the kombi to work today just over 630km and averaged 8.1 k's/l including 50km of dirt a gain of .4 of a km after removing the sunvisor , sitting on 100 k's.

Resnort and chris taylor like this.
  7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

That's 12.35 ltr / 100 km.
    Try cruising on 90-95 kph.....you'll be surprised how much better the economy will be ;).....and you won't get there much later !
    Fuel economy depends as much on your driving habits as having the engine set up properly.
    Cheers,
    Mark

paul77 and chris taylor like this.
  8. chris taylor

How true Mark, i always like to sit around the 80 to 90 klm mark , it handles better,uses a lot less fuel , and above all else i get to see the country we live in, not just the black stuff....:):):):)

9. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Finished a stint at work and on the way home sat on 90k's for the first 310km averaged 8.69k's/l carrying nearly 1/2t of tools. Stepped it back up to 100k's after being passed by a tripple and being sprayed with cow piss, raised the oil temp up to 98c sitting on 3375rpm and back to 8.1 k/l . Not much different fuel use to my old hilux but a better ride.

10. David H

Driving in the slipstream to get that better consumption Maxa?
    Always a better ride in a Kombi. Fast or slow it's how you enjoy it.
    Cheers

chris taylor likes this.
  11. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Slipstream!! You'd need the wipers on and a cloths peg. I'll rephrase that. I sped up so as not to be passed and sprayed by the following one, a bit daunting having a prime mover and 3double decks come round you. Usually l'm the one doing the passing, but still an enjoyable way to spend half a day

chris taylor and David H like this.
  12. chris taylor

David H, : re : our conversation regards distance travelled between fuels stops , i fuelled up at Ouyen on way back home from B/Stop 2018, next fuel stop was at Naracourte, a total distance of Approx 370 ks give or take a few, tank took 43ltrs which means i still had 13 lts in the tank, i have worked out that at 8kls per ltr i could still have done another 80 kls. Assuming all is in good order and condition and carrying a normal load of two people plus luggage. interesting , this was not a pre planed test it just happened that way and i have to admit i was watching that fuel gauge very closely.

David H likes this.
  13. David H

Still working on having one to watch Chris;). 12lt/100km is normal for a good cruise speed. When in Komvoy on the way up to Stanthorpe I was 10.5/lt/100km. Sorta first time I have checked in the last 15 years:oops:.
    Way home was 14lt/100km & there was a bit of speed involvedo_O. Just old boy stretching his legs:cool:.
    Not the most aerodynamic vehicles as speed increases:rolleyes:.
    Agree with oldman & Alpal that 90kph gives best consumption & the best view:).
    On a good run it's possible to get over 450km but only done this once;). I'm not know for 'gentle on the throttle'. I use throttle to control the cornering arc:eek:.
    Glad your travels home were safe & look forward to seeing you at Mallacoota:D.
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    chris taylor likes this.
  14. chris taylor

My favourite speed is between 85 n 95.although i do admit to going higher on the odd occasion . lol

David H likes this.
  15. oldman

Just did the figures from our Stanthorpe run....
    (Bear in mind we towed a loaded trailer with a stock camper ...)
    327.88 ltrs for 2 467 kms
    Average consumption worked out to 13.29 ltrs/100 km.
    I’m pretty happy with that return considering the severe headwinds we encountered between Gilgandra,Lightning Ridge and Moree....
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H, prone and Wayne murray like this.
  16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

14.8 l/100km @ mix of 95-100km/hr.
    Fuel cost ranged 0.72-0.86. 80% @ 71.9.
    LPG :D

prone likes this.
  17. oldman

Fuel prices are crazy Col.....it was cheaper at Lightning Ridge than it is backhome....more reason to stay on the road I reckon....
    Cheers,
    Mark

cbus likes this.
  18. chris taylor

Hi Mark ,i worked my millage out as such , starting from a full tank on a level site ,miles travelled then following the same procedure, convert kls travelled devided by 1.6 brings it to miles then litres to fill up devided by 4.5 brings it gallons used ,then divide the gallons used into the miles travelled and i was returning a constant 24 mpg {sorry but i always convert to mpg }I do find it becomes more accurate to do 5 or 6 fills then do the conversion which allows for differences in service station uneven grounds . As i see it you were pulling at least 21 mpg which ,considering you were towing a van , is exceptional.

19. chris taylor

Yes, prices up north around $1.36.9, south of Adelaide O T R servos $1.39.9, Caltex were the same BUT Liberty and United were $1.26.9 and $1.30.9.

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Correct Mark.
    Probably the usual price gouging
    ( they never do that :rolleyes: ) around holidays but not inland as they don't get hols.

I should clarify mine. All prices near the .86 but one at .72 on the southern end of the coast so most of my fillups there. Others are just to get me back .
    Seems a lot of the servos that used to have LPG no longer have it so country travelling on it can be dicey.