1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Filler Neck

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by greenbay, Aug 12, 2008.

1. greenbay

greenbay New Member

I've noticed a fuel smell lately when the tank is full in my 77.Apparently there are 2 types of filler necks ,one that is easy to change(in 99%)and one that is a lot more difficult.Of course i have the hard one,has any one had any experience in changing a cracked one.Any help would be much appreciated.
    Jay

2. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Sure have....a bad experience......we had just had our camper, Molly, resprayed so I insisted on masking up the hole to protect the paint.....and managed to loose a small piece of tape down the the fuel filler. Cost us $320 to have the engine dropped and fuel tank cleaned......I got the tape back as a souvenir:cry:
    Also ended up with skinned and cut hands. Had the mechanic do Monty's:)

3. greenbay

greenbay New Member

Hmmmm,might let Hendrich do that job.:umm:

4. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

$40 for the filler elbow and about 40 minutes of labour, from memory. It would probably take me a lot longer and involve a lot of cursing, so I left it to my mechanic, while I was getting some other stuff done. Mechanic said it's a b**stard of a job and left it to an offsider! If I had the time, though, I'd like to have a go at a lot of these things myself, just to learn and improve my kombi experience.

Baz

5. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Yep, had the same thing happen - got the mechanic to fit it and it was much "cheaper" for him to do it in 30 mins that for my good husband to do it. Would have taken a lot more blood, sweat and tears if he'd done it.

6. emby

emby Active Member

You did the right thing K. Let hubby have the pleasure in riding in the kombi rather than having to work on it and he may just start to develop that Kombi lurve.

7. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

I'm slightly doubtful about that one Matt, but he's slowly coming round. He even said he thought a DC could be "useful", so there's some progress being made. ;)

8. wazza1001

wazza1001 Member

Fuel Filler possibility

Had the same problem with my 76 Kombi. Every time I turned a right corner or go up a hill, the car fills with petrol fumes. I went to Supa Cheap Auto and bought some special resin for fuel leaks. It comes with putty and resin. Filled the hole with putty and put resin all around the rubber neck. Worked a treat. Had it fixed in 1/2 hour for $18.

9. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I have managed to get the firewall pulled forward enough to access the entry to the tank in my 75 with out getting the engine out, and after removing the "paint can lid" and some swearing you can get the pipe out. I am going to have to replace most of the filler hose in mine and I have a replacement steel version from a 78-79 so the only problem is going to be how to get it into the space. I understand that the rubber version is not available in a fuel proof version any more, so with the steel one I only need a small section between the tank and the steel pipe.

When we got her, filled up at a cheap fuel servo and suddenly had a little stream leaking out under the car. Had to get the tank down to 3/4 so drove as fast as I could in the rain at night for 20km to get to my father inlaws where I could get a siphon. Petrol stink for weeks afterward.

10. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Hi Jay... All!

I did this job with the engine out last Friday... I will keep my opinion to myself in the interests of the family forum language (not a fun job)!

I attached the hose from tank to metal sender, then elbow to sender and performed some yoga moves to fit it all in as one unit then adjusted the bits to fit proper before tightening the hose clamps.

To finish the project I replaced all the breather joining pieces on the thin metal tubes above and around the tank then showered the cavities in fish oil before putting the firewall back on.

Hope I don't have to go near it for a while!

Phill.