Fuel gauge 62

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by melissa, Mar 25, 2018.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Little Red was converted to 12V when she had her 1600 put in but there wasn't anything done (as far as I know) with the wiring and my fuel gauge is still the original 6V one but now it doesn't work. It stays at 3/4 full even when the key is removed and it gets quite warm. I think the light still works in it. So - do I need to get a new gauge? Do I need a new sender unit? Do I just need to put a new part on the original gauge?

mwizz likes this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

rstucke to comment;) or PM him Melissa.
    Cheers

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

How long ago did you convert? If you get another gauge sender etc. Do you need to look into a resistor,so your new equipment isn,t coping the full 12 volts . I know my dad converted is 64 beetle to 12v and he had a resistor on the wiper motor as it wouldn,t stop wiping when turned off. Is 6v horn loved 12 v loudest horn around.
    With his gauge he changed it to a 68 gauge ,first of the 12v and the speedo has the fuel gauge within.
    Just something for you to look into

David H likes this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa,
    When did it stop working? :(.
    Cheers

5. melissa

I think it worked for a couple of months after changing the motor. I have just been putting up with it and every time I use her, I fill up before going anywhere.

6. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Melissa
    There's a company that repairs automotive gauges in Newcastle
    I'll post the contact details shortly
    I'm not familiar with splitty gauges but there are 2 common electrical types
    balanced coil type and bi-metal type, neither 6volt types would suffer 12volts for very long
    The constant voltage coil in the balanced coil type would overheat and eventually short out
    The bi metallic spring in that type of gauge would get extremely hot when the tank was full and maybe permanently bend
    I'm not sure the sender unit would be of a high enough resistance and could be damaged as well.
    you may have a voltage regulator/reducer in the gauge circuit to cope with the above and it might be faulty
    and if not there one might need to be fitted or the gauge and sender unit modified to cope with the higher voltage.

oldman and melissa like this.
  7. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Namiis Gauge and control
    Repair centre is at
    66b The avenue Wickham

oldman and melissa like this.
  8. melissa

Thanks Rick - I work close to there so I will call over one day and ask them.

9. mwizz

mwizz Member

I must have the same problem. My gauge is always showing 3/4 full but as it is not registered yet I only run it in the carport and ran out of fuel for the first time recently while it was still showing 3/4 full so this thread is helpful. It is a 69 splitty from Brazil and arrived with a 12v system.

10. melissa

When you are driving - or the vehicle is running - does the gauge feel warm?

11. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

Todd Wainwright and rstucke like this.
  12. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with the gauge in mine with 12 volt. I just bought a new sender amd gauge. Very happy. I got a speed hut one. Running a bay tank but the bolt holes on the plate were an exact match. You just need the depth of the tank. Less 2 inches i think they make them.

Of course this means pulling the engine and tank. But pretty sure they do a model that can be manually calibrated so you can set it to the values your current sender gives out. Still need to connect wires to current sender but possibly done with ling nose pliers and a few skinned knuckles.

David H likes this.
  13. mwizz

mwizz Member

I haven't actually felt it but I will try that the next time I start it up and idle it for a while. Probably next weekend.

14. mwizz

mwizz Member

I ran the Kombi today Melissa. Had it idling in the car port for a while and felt the gauge but it did not feel warm at all.

15. melissa

Mine still feels warm when the car is running. I have not had the chance to take it to the place recommended by rstucke yet but planning to do it soon.