1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Guage issues

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by VZR69, Sep 27, 2015.

1. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

Hi all, I'm trying to get the fuel guage working on my daughters 69 bay. I have fitted a new sender and also fitted new vibrator to back of guage and it still isn't working. I'm thinking I have it wired wrong. Is there a power wire somewhere in the system? I'm still learning this electrical caper and currently I have the sender wire running to the right side of the vibrator and a wire running from left side of vibrator to left side of guage then an earth wire from right side of guage to ground on back of guage cluster.
    Any help appreciated
    Greg

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

have to dig up the circuit to comment on your points but also check the screw that secures the earth wire to the body near sender.
    replaced sender and chased problem for a while and it turned out to be a bad earth at that point

3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if it is the same on the 69, but the later ones are most definitely powered from the dash, if I recall in to the vibrator (or regulator) and then through the meter, then on to the sender. Cant find the wiring diagram atm. The vibrator reduces the voltage from 12v down to 4.8v (Alpal will either be saying well done or no no no!!!). (The reason is the voltage across the resistor in the sender needs to have a constant value to give a consistent reading at the same fuel level, no matter the voltage in the rest of the electrical system, which changes with load on the alternator/battery.)

What this means for you is if you have a bad earth or connection (which if you imagine a kink in a hose reducing the water flow) the voltage (the pressure of the electricity if you will) will be reduced even further before it gets to the sender, or restricted going to earth after it. With the lower voltage of 4.8 V, the connections are even more susceptible to faulty connections and damaged cables.

Hope that helps a bit.

Adrian

4. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

I think i need a power wire to the vibrator, but I'm not sure where it goes . Would it go on the left side of the vibrator (opposite side to the brown sender wire)?
    Surely it's not too complicated for an electrical newb like me. :(

5. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Hi, these two pics helped me when I had problems.
    Cheers unnamed (5).jpg images (14).jpg

6. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

Yesss!!! I see where I have it wrong.
    A simple bloke like me obviously needs photos!!!!
    Thanks deepburn and everyone else for help, cant wait to see if it works tomorrow.
    Cheers, Greg

7. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

No probs! I'm a photos guy as well haha

8. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

what type of sender do you have?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    what type of gauge do you have? dis regard the fact they are clocks. just need to know the colour of the face.
    [​IMG]

9. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Beat me to it. The pic is worth a thousand of my words at least.

Adrian

10. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

the tube type sender ONLY works with grey face silver disc fuel gauge - it does not have a voltage stabiliser.

Lever type ONLY works with grey no disc and black face fuel gauges - these do have voltage stabiliser.

11. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

I have changed the guage cluster to a later model metric one which has a grey face...............but I have a tube type sender.....???????
    So the voltage stabiliser is different to the vibrator??

12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

same thing that sender is not compatible with the gauge. that is your problem. you need the grey face with silver disc. and like magic your gauge will work.

13. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

Are the silver disc speedos available in kph?

14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

not in australia, try germany. you can switch the speedo out do you have the correct fuel gauge?

15. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

I will check on guage tommorow, haven't had a chance to see if it all works yet

16. Tickle

Tickle Active Member

I'm hoping someone can help me with my fuel gauge at Revolks, I can't work anything out...so frustrating as everyone else seems to get it

Jerome likes this.
  17. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried to look here http://www.ratwell.com/ it is a good source to things and easy to follow.

18. Tickle

Tickle Active Member

I've looked everywhere and have lots of instructions, I just don't seem to understand electrics. Mechanical I'm fine, just not electrics...funny as I work for an electric motor company lol

19. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Any of these help

[​IMG]

This video may help - I haven't watched it but you never know

20. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Will be there and can have a look. What is the problem??