Fuel in oil again...

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by 76kampa, Apr 2, 2018.

1. 76kampa

76kampa Member

When I bought this van there was fuel in the oil and I was thinking that alright, the previous owner couldn't get it running right and flooded it too much... Well I have done 300 kms and it appears to have a lot of fuel in the oil again, what the heck!
    It has the single Weber and electric fuel pump.
    Runs fine, no surging.

What could be the problem?

2. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

It's flooding when you turn it off?

do you have a cut off?

3. 76kampa

76kampa Member

No but I thought the needle on the float should stop it....

But I do think you are right.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You may also need a pressure regulator

5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Most of those electric rattle pumps are not pressure regulated and also have no stop valve when not running, like the original mechanical ones do. Needle valves are not strong enough to stop fuel pressure higher than 5 or so psi and will fail eventually. On top of that if you park head up on a hill without a stop valve and fuel drains out of the float chamber, the needle valve opens and lets fuel gravity feed into the chamber then through the jet into the cylinder and past the rings in to the engine.

Adrian

6. 76kampa

76kampa Member

I will get a shut off solenoid and try that and a pressure regulator, thanks, hope it solves the problem.

Maybe I should buy a new mechanical pump?

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a mechanical pump setup with a carb.

If you get a pressure regulator make sure it is a good one and not a rubbish silver dial type

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Had a pierburg electric fuel pump hooked into the system to the dual Dellortto's - they like Webber are not lovers of high pressure fuel in so to control that a pressure regulator valve was fitted.

Single webber is I guess a dual throat so issue could be the same and not knowing actual electric pump make and specs it is a bit tougher to comment. Generally though a mechanical pump should be sufficient to feed the beast.

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Second Barry's comment on the empi chrome regs. Posts in samba about them coming apart. Another fire risk.

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Found a picture of the setup that was in Igor - round disc style 0-5 with .5 stop increments - the fuel pump is directly forward/underneather the regulator (was set @ 2.0)

Picture 012.jpg

11. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

I had one of the Empi silver fuel regulators in my Type 3.
    I had to pull over one day when the engine was running really poorly.
    When I got out and had a look in the engine bay, fuel was p!$$ing out of the regulator, leaving a big puddle on the ground.
    I dont know how it didn't catch fire that day.... but yeh... avoid them like the plague.