1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel injection conversion?

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by mr happy, May 1, 2018.

1. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Fella's,
    I have 1976 type 4 2 litre motor that has been rebuilt and is ready for the fuel system. I'm pretty sure the twin solex carbs the originals but they need re-bushed etc as they are a little flogged out at the throttle and choke stems. I was thinking from a reliability / longevity / economy point of view that fitting Efi might be a wise choice. Am i correct in thinking that fuel injection is fairly rare on buses in Oz? Is this even an option and does anyone have any experience in the pros / cons / cost etc etc
    Is there someone that does this conversion that i can send the engine to?

Thanks guys

Mr h

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Fitting a stock EFI can have issues unless it is off a reliably running unit
    Are ok if in good nick but not much gain over carbs , if any.

Check out
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/its-goodbye-elle-and-hello-hal.50249/

I like the improvements in power and possibly economy if Rob kept his foot off it.
    Reliability from a modern unit.
    Reasonable cost if you compare against someone fitting and sorting weber changeover.

mr happy likes this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

mr happy likes this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Usualy costs up to 2k to fit and sort webers. ( by mechanic)( proper ones not the copies that have had a motza of unhappy customers )
    A full rebuild on stock solex is usualy about $900.
    Maybe a bit more if you need some bits Like choke elements?
    Andrew would be best choice.

People with fresh motors fitting properly rebuilt solex are claiming near 10.5 l/100km @100kmhr.
    Usual for bay is near 12l/100km

Mordred, oldman and mr happy like this.
  5. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Is that $900 each or for the pair? What is Andrews kombi club name so i can pm him?

Cheers
    Mr h

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Correction.
    Seems $800 + post.
    Check his website

mr happy likes this.
  8. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

I would go aftermarket before a factory system unless you could get all the parts for a reasonable price, i would probably look at a megasquirt diy sytem.

mr happy likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

@1500king

mr happy likes this.
  10. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Cheers wayne, i'm on it

11. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Done a minimal amount of digging around and the efi idea is heading quickly towards the too hard basket in terms of price, effort and availability. Looks like the carbies will need a polish,

Mr h

David H and Barry like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Good choice / smart move

mr happy likes this.
  13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Think its the simplest and a satisfactory direction for new build.

Less unknowns to deal with the better.
    Andrews carbs will come back ready to run and should only need final tickle with a balance at most.

A better situation if you are going to perform all first startup procedures.

And easier on the wallet.
    Will last years

Mordred, kombi69 and mr happy like this.
  14. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Thanks Col, bus is a bit like WINX. Open the gate and it just wants to run.

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If I had the reddies I'd try one. :D

16. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Tinware in progress, Carbs plus distributor are in Adelaide with 1500king getting the once over. Slowly working my way towards getting this thing ready for a garage start. Next couple of questions for you fine people are as follows:

1. Electric fuel pump or mechanical? Engine is a 1976 type 4 2 litre, i have the fuel pump but can't find the pushrod, pump seems in fair shape without a huge amount of wear on the contact surface so probably only needs a kit through it, also is there some kind of bush that the push rod sits in? When i shine a light in the block all i can see is the hole for the rod, no bushes or anything? Do i just buy a new pushrod and slide it in? Have attached a couple of pics below. I'm happy to go down the electric pump route if thats the most reliable method and i will probably add a safety cutoff in the fuel line when i eventually put the engine in the bus. I would like any advice you guys can provide as to pro's and cons as its all new to me thus far!

2. My ignition leads are cactus and i'd like advice on what to go for in terms of replacements. I've read 'somewhere' that the bosch ones can be a little hitty missy in terms of quality depending on where they are sourced. If possible a nice decent quality red set would be good as I've gone anodised red on the top lot of tinware but if i have to go black for quality then so be it. If you guys can point me to a set that has correct lead lengths / plug connectors / tinware seals that are of suitable quality for a stock standard 2 litre condensor and points twin solex engine set up that would be great.

IMG_2737.JPG IMG_2739.JPG IMG_2740.JPG IMG_2744.JPG
    Cheers guys

Mr h

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I would go stock fuel pump
    I am sure Andrew can provide parts to complete your set up.

Electric pumps are more for fuel injection of bigger carbs

A nice set of copper core stock leads is what you want.

You can get then in any colour you want that comes in a black shade.

David H and mr happy like this.
  18. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

No kits for fuel pumps available unless you find a NOS one. Cheap Chinese copies are very unreliable. There is a fibre spacer that goes on the mounting face around 10 mm thick. Electric is going to better if you can’t find one. If going electric go for a rotary lift pump (pierburg)rather than a rattle pump, 3-5 PSI, no higher. Fuelinjectorsonline.com.au I think is the web site. Rattle pump are very unreliable as far as pressure. Make sure you also get a Peel or similar tachometric relay that connects to the coil, so if the motor shuts off the pump does too. A solenoid shut off valve might be an idea too. JK have them but there are other sources. CP30 from memory.
    As far as points, the original Bosch ones are terrible now. Spent a lot extra and get a Petronix electronic points set. You can keep an original set in the toolbox if you get into trouble but you won’t have to adjust them every few thousand km. 205P dizzy with a vacuum can is the right dissy for the engine. Leads, the Bosch ones are fine in my experience.

Hope that helps

Adrian

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Definitely add the shutoff solenoid operated valve with electric.
    Prevents fuel siphoning into sump as well as fire protection.
    Check pressure on fuel delivery.
    Add a pressure regulator if necessary.
    NOT a chrome empi one with front dial.

Adrian.
    Any info on reliable points and condensers.
    Had a few fails in new condensors recently .
    Can't remember brands but likely Bosch amongst them?

20. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Andrew's rebuilding my dizzy so not to concerned there, gonna give the stock setup a go first as always have the option to swap to electronic in the future.
    Any ideas on the pushrod? They are available to buy for the type 4 but just wondering about bushes etc?
    Mr h