1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Injection Sopru Camper 76

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by David H, Oct 31, 2016.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I didn't know how rare this was until I joined KC after 37 yrs as an owner of 2lt kombi's. Is there anyone else out there with a f/i kombi? Had a few kombis & don't know why they stopped production of f/i after only 4 mths in Aust. 6/76 to 10/76. Can anyone tell me why they stopped ?
    Have you got one?
    Cheers,
    David H

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

L-Jetronic fuel injection was brought in for pollution requirements due to ADR27A being adopted from June '76 in NSW. These were vehicles manufactured in Australia until the end of 1976. After that all of our VWs were imported from Germany and had other methods circumventing pollution testing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    David H, Mordred and Grantus like this.
  3. David H

Thanks Syncro. I knew the bit about 27A but didn't know the rest so thanks very much. Were they made in Aus from german components or actually stamped, pressed, made in Aus from Aus bits (understand there will be some imported bits) but I'm mainly asking where the steel for the body came from or a detailed of "manufactured". That may explain why 77 onwards got so much rust! Gotta love Aussie steel if that's the case!
    Thanks,
    David H

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Snap.
    We have a 2L EFI Sopru too :)

Been great so far!

David H likes this.
  5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Do you know where yours was first registered?

SA may have had EFI Kombis as well as NSW.

David H likes this.
  6. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Will do some digging and let you know, stay tooned..

David H likes this.
  7. David H

Hi Dan,
    How long have you had it?
    How do you go getting the f/i bits?
    Particularly the air flow meter.
    Yours looks in very good original condition.
    Cheers,
    David H

8. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Not sure if this helps, but can't see a build location.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

David H likes this.
  9. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Hi David.

Had it about 3.5 years, been on lot s on adventures with only a few 'hiccups'.. :) Percy is fairly original, but does have some cosmetic damage to front and sliding door which has been on the list to do since we bought it..

Fortunately, I have never needed any FI parts yet. The engine has been great, apart from some timing issues and learning how to set points etc.. Been a while.

Suggest giving GHR a call, its where we take it for all mech work , they should be able to point you in the right direction. They are based in Adelaide.

Dan

David H likes this.
  10. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

PS: There is an AFM for EFI bus in the For Sale section :)

Grantus and David H like this.
  11. combiclaire

combiclaire Member

I've just bought a 76 fuel injected bay here in Tassie. Haven't driven it yet though -it's off having its engine reconditioned. Fingers crossed!

David H likes this.
  12. David H

Ki Combiclaire,
    Welcome to KC & may the engine rebuild go beaut & give you many years of trouble free motoring.
    Just to mention........never use the throttle when in start mode. Let the electronics work out what to do!
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    combiclaire likes this.
  13. andrew

andrew Active Member

Mine is FI - just sorting out final tune and roadworthy - engine feels strong - hard to compair with a modern 3l diesel which the kombi is replacing. Will be rapt to get it finally going after 18 months.
    I had no idea they had such a short run. I have been amazed how little rust the kombi had - maybe this explains it.
    Andrew

David H likes this.
  14. David H

Yeah Andrew,
    I don't know whether it's the year of build, the good steel or the dynamics of anodes! I look at resto corner & think how wonderful my kombi is . Total from the panel beater for ALL rust repairs was $1,500 after 40 years & that was just under window rubbers & front steps under step pads & outside them (used to take dog to beach.... salt water damage).
    The rest like new. Gotta be lucky!
    Got new injectors as spares out of USA. J bugs but they won't ship to Aus. Had to send it to bro in the states & have him forward.
    Cheers,
    David H

15. andrew

andrew Active Member

Very happy to have very little rust at all. Maybe the rest of us should follow your lead with the spare injectors - I always like to have important spares if something goes wrong. Once we get the kombi going the boys and I will stip down the spare moter that came with the car and rebuild it to give them an understanding of the mechanics and how the engine works.
    I'm sure it will be a great project that takes us twice as long as we think it will. These cars are fantastic.

David H likes this.
  16. David H

Hi Andrew,
    May you enjoy educating your boys around the Kombi & the shared time you have with them.
    I like your approach.... a spare one. How lucky are you to get a spare engine.
    Everything on a Kombi takes twice as long.....even getting there!!
    F/I seem to be the best build VW aus did. They're not just fantastic mechanically but their suspension is better than anything! Trailing arms...what a bonus for handling!
    Cheers,
    David H

andrew likes this.
  17. David H

Hi Crew,
    Just got an Air Flow Meter from rstucke whom bought 4 . It's a spare for me & the first time I've had one in 30 yrs. & it's the 'boss' as in 'like new'. He's setting up a f/i.
    Where is the computer? I've got a box on the RH firewall.
    How does this work?
    Cheers,
    David H

18. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Nice to have something shiny and new...

The site with the most FI stuff on seems to be Ratwell, although it may be slanted to the US market.;
    http://www.ratwell.com/

David H likes this.
  19. David H

Thanks Dan,
    Can anyone report on 'life' of their motor with F/I?
    My carb 2lts did 120/140,000km before I got sick of oil leaks & low compression & did overhaul. 3 of them!
    F/I does 240,km plus before I get sick of the oil leaks (pushrod tubes) (no low compression) & overhaul....... 2 of them. Also runs cooler & does better fuel mileage in between (plus 20%). Don't have to 'spool down' after a 'hot' run to avoid cracked heads. 2 cracked heads with carb motor.!
    It seems to be a heat thing & F/I keeps that down.
    Your story?
    Cheers,
    David H
    Getting close to 1 million kms in a bay 2.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  20. David H