Fuel kicks back when filling - and can only fill to 3/4 full

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by Easy, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Easy

Easy Member

As above! When I'm filling up the tank gets to about 3/4 full and when I try to fill it any further the petrol kicks back out of the tank! I've tried holding the pump at a few different angles but no luck.

Is this normal? Didn't used to happen with my bay window.

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Splitty I take it.
    I have to rotate the handle so that the trigger is in the upper rear quarter of the fuel filler square cut out.
    I found that I also did not run full tanks when I ran out at Burpengary from Brisbane. I also found out that it takes 55 litres to fill the tank and which angle to fill it.
    Great way to spend a stinking hot Christmas day.

I run a bay tank with a fuel hose connecting the higher tank and the split filler neck. So it is a shallower angle then it used to be which is why it vapour locks (The tank has 2 breather pipes on it too).

There have been a couple of fuel pumps that just did not work too. But that has not happened for years so I guess it was the pumps fault.

I also got rid of the splitty fuel lid with the cork washer in favor of a new rubber washer version and I no longer get fuel spilling out when turning left after fill ups.

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Fuel pumps these days run @ a high flow rate so take your time when filling 1/2 to 3/4 trigger pressure should be fine and when it clicks/auto stop then leave it @ that.

4. mamv

mamv Member

G'day 68BUS
    I have a bay tank in mine and blocked the vents. Is it worth while using the vents? If so, how do you do it? I also need to replace the cork seal on the cap. Where did you get yours? Also loosing fuel turning left and the fuel smell hangs around for awhile.
    Thanks
    Andre