Fuel Line 5.5mm EFI

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Timc91, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Timc91

Timc91 New Member

Hi Guys!
    Bus was running rough a few weeks ago coming up hills on the way home from byron. Thought I was running out of fuel. When this happened 100ks after filling up yesterday it turns out there was a heap of shit in my fuel filter see picture attached. Thought I may as well change the fuel lines whilst I’m at it as they look a bit old. Does anyone know where you can order good EFI 5.5mm fuel line?

Cheers
    Tim

Attached Files:

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Tim,
    Whilst lines may be old my question would be are you running the FI fuel filter?
    www.thebusstop.com.au/1968–79-Bay/Mechanical-68-79/Fuel-and-Accelerator-68-79?page=2
    I've gotten some rotten doses of fuel over time & yes the filter will block the *hit & that may slow your bus but only thru fuel starvation (just gets slower on hills;)). Never running rough. Once got a dose of fuel that had my bus running on 3 cylinders 30km after refuel. It had burnt valves etc:mad:.
    I supplied some lines to my mechanic recently but one was not correct. Done as a preventative measure. Never had lines breakdown & contaminate filter.
    A good chance your mechanic has lines:).
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Ring just campers and speak only to Kai.
    Check if they still stock the 5.5.
    No longer listed on web page.
    Ensure you use EFI clamps.
    Check brass fuel inlet spigots in carbs are firm.
    Check "Ratwell" on the subject.

4. Timc91

Timc91 New Member

David, I believe my bus has one similar to the one on Just Campers for a carburated engine. I’ve only been putting 98 in with valve saver.... so I guess just replacing the lines is a good measure whilst I’m in there and see how it goes after all the symptoms on the JK page about blocked fuel filters seam to match.....

cbus, I’ve just ordered a whole heap of spares from them this arvo fanbelts, filters etc.... I’ll give them a call in the morning and ask..

Thanks guys!
    Cheers,
    Tim

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Tim,
    98 doesn't guarantee good fuel !

Just to remind ..the sponsor of this site is 'The Bus Stop' so it's best to support them;) if they've got the parts.

Is your bus F/I:confused:?

Good luck with the chase.;)
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  6. Timc91

Timc91 New Member

Touche.... I'll Keep that in mind!
    I did look there first they only seemed to have a F/I filter, my Bus is Carbureted so looked elsewhere...

I'll keep you posted once the fix is complete!
    Cheers,

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

What was the crap in filter?
    Sand and water or rust?
    Former likely servo and latter your tank.
    Also , how long since last filter change?
    See how quickly new one clogs as a check on what needs sorting.

8. Timc91

Timc91 New Member

I'm not sure, the RACQ guy took the bottle with him, it looked like Gunk .. Based on what my old tank looked like, I wouldn't be surprised if its left over shit/rust in the old fuel line.
    When the previous owner agreed to replace the tank I don't think the lines and filter's were replaced as they look fairly old for being done 6 weeks ago...
    So short answer, not sure when filter was last changed. But yeah preventative measure replace all lines with correct clasp's etc and see how we go.

David H likes this.
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Damn slack to replace tank and not include lines if not new.?
    Wonder what replacement tank is like ?
    Was it a new one or SH.?

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Why do you want EFI lines when you have a carburetor?

11. Timc91

Timc91 New Member

8FA988C9-1AFF-4037-BC89-C187E14B1174.jpeg
    Just realised the confusion sorry Syncro, the roadside mechanic suggested that an EFI fuel line would be a good replacement as it is more resistant to damage over time... his words not mine. Any words of wisdom are appreciated on the topic.

CBUS, Fast forward two weeks and I ’ve ordered all the line etc spoke to Kai at JK and apparently the 5mm hose is technically 5.5mm so first sunny weekend we get I’ll be doing the change. This is a photo of my current fuel line....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
    cbus likes this.
  12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Roadside mechanic was a halfwit.

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Although some well respected vw mechanics use the braided line my preference is for EFI hose .
    Especially for home mechanics.

Negatives in the braided being..
    Readily splits at ends and not easily seen due to braid. Common issue and often overlooked by owners and mechanics alike.
    Same for cracks along line.
    Cheap brands with suspect standards.
    Quality not readily identified.
    Being fitted without grommets in tinware. ie easily damaged if not fitted correctly. ( a lot of home mechanics and ' professionals' are still 'learning'.)
    Split easily if forced over an oversized spigot such as filters or joiners. ( yes people need to get their shit together and do things correctly)
    Easy to use wrong colour braided line. ( a lot would be unaware)
    I have seen a number of lines fitted by respected mechanics leak soon after fitments.

Positives.
    Lines have massively improved tolerance to abuse in stretching over pipes and abrasion. (Although that's no licence to fit incorrectly)
    Much thicker and reinforced with modern compounds assured by reading the markings.
    Easier to see deterioration or cracks.
    Good fits if correct sizing.

Basically much improved for use in everyday real world useage . Dodgy lines being probably biggest factor in kombis list to fires. Spigots into carbs also a big issue.

Rules on correct sizing apply.
    I have seen manufacturing variations of 0.3mm on sizes in the 6-7mm range. Same brand and markings.
    I assume that Kai is still running the 5.6 or has checked a known 5.0

Most 5mm are tight and hard to fit. 6mm too loose.

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

There's your problem with braided.

EFI not as flexible (more prone to leaks at the joins)

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Doesn't cover all the issues tho.
    I have fixed serious leaks from ones fitted by respected mechanics who swear by braided. And within a month of fitment. So even they have trouble.

The flexibility isn't a problem if its done with a normal amount of care to get the engine bay tidied up from ' previous owners' .

From fuel tank to filter and shut off points ( where fitted) I run a supported loop so that the shutoffs can be bypassed if they fail.
    Also takes the tension out of short lengths in tight places.
    I agree that there should be no undue tension on joins.

Failure to see cracks under braid is a big issue for people who do not regularly inspect lines properly.

If a better product is available that gives an added level of safety on a known problem it makes sense to me to use it.
    Bit like I wouldn't run old 1960's technology 5.56" crossply tyres when modern radials are available.

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

When I say flexibility I really mean stretchability. The good quality braided will not leak without clamps. If you get a stronger hose it will not stretch and return when fitted over a nipple. There is the added level of safety.

I,ve never seen the braided lines leak under the braid. I've always changed them when I have seen them cracking at the ends where it is hot and dry. The original German hoses lasted easily ten years, but then places like Tooley's etc. started importing cheap Brazilian rubbish.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  17. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I had to relocate the fuel filter on the Type3 and seeing it was in for rear brake work, torsion bar and tune I got the mechanic (Custom VeeDub) to do it also. Handed over some new cloth braided hose to use but was told they refuse to use it as it is NOT up to the fuels of today and susceptible to breakdown and associated issues as in clogging fuel filter or worse if used after the fuel filter it's in the carbies and engine. Accepted this prognosis/opinion as no doubt they have seen the breakdown of this old style fuel hose and the damage it causes - didn't ask what, show, please explain just went with modern hose as suggested.

Timc91 likes this.
  18. Timc91

Timc91 New Member

Picked Bettie up from Custom Veedub this morning, fuel lines replaced with low pressure fuel line, fuel filter relocated into it's correct home out of the engine bay and a full carby tune up and she's driving like a breeze!

KahunaKombi likes this.
  19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Good to hear with your car but you can save some coin with the valve saver
    As you have alloy heads you have hardened valves seats and the valve saver is not needed

Starting point for forming your own opinion starts here
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/valve-saver-warning.34525/

oldman likes this.
  20. Timc91

Timc91 New Member

Thanks for the point in the right direction, I'll be doing some light reading at lunch!

Cheers,