Fuel line connection

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by gussusbus, Aug 15, 2017.

1. gussusbus

gussusbus New Member

Hi everyone. Happily I don't usually need to post much here as Gerty runs pretty well but she's leaking a bit of fuel suddenly. I had a good look and it's the fuel line hose causing the problem, or rather where it attaches to the pump. The clip is on tight so no problems there but the line just sits loosely on the pump. It seems the rod on the pump it connects to has snapped off, does that sound correct? Essentially the hose has an inner tube sticking out of the end if it that rests loosely on the pump. When in place there is a slight drip of fuel. When not in place there is a strong fuel drip.

My question is, can I fix this myself with just a part or will it need a new pump? It's booked into the mechanic but they're super busy so it'll be sitting for a few weeks and I'd like to stop the drip if I can in the meantime.

Thanks all.

JaneC likes this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

No - that is not correct

Get yourself a hose clamp or something and clamp off the line between tank and pump

Dont drive it to the mechanic.
    This is a tow truck job

What set up do you have?
    Type 1 carburetor?
    Type 4 carburetor?
    Type 4 fuel injected?

Do you have a pic of your leaking pump?

nils and gussusbus like this.
  3. gussusbus

gussusbus New Member

Thanks for your post Barry. I'll try and post a picture now. I'm not sure what carburetor type it is (how can I tell?).

4. gussusbus

gussusbus New Member

Here's a picture of the pump. You can see the wet fuel line. Thanks again for taking the trouble to give some advice.

Attached Files:

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Gussusbus,
    Solid guess from me but could be a split line (generally bottom edge splits) on the outside edge of the clamp where the hose gives most movement. See the red petrol stains trying to climb back up the fuel line. Try waggling the hose on the LHS of clamp and see if that increases drip rate. If so....crimp off the hose, undo & remove clamp, shorten hose by the necessary & then refit.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    gussusbus likes this.
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

ok - I'm a Type 1 guy or a T3

I believe you have a Type 4 carb set up?
    upload_2017-8-15_21-35-10.png

Dont quite get the 3 pipes - but are you saying those pipes (barbs) are loose from the body of the pump?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    gussusbus likes this.
  7. David H

Good thought Barry. If they are loose it's a tow job Gus.:mad:. I had trouble understanding what was loose too. The 3rd pipe might be atmosphere for a diaphragm?
    Not Cheers

gussusbus likes this.
  8. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Gussusbus, the wet fuel line looks like the pressure line (that hose runs up to the carbie's?) So yes very important to get right. Is the clamp in the right place? Looks a bit far up the hose and might not be clamping on the barb.
    As Barry said, is the barb loose in the pump body, or is the hose loose on the barb?

Barry, in your pic, the third barb on it's own is the vent on the back of the diaphragm. On the type 4 motors there's a short hose on that that runs just inside the tinware to protect it a little from dust under the car.

gussusbus and David H like this.
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with above to not drive anywhere with fuel leaks.

On your photo it looks like the hose is compressed significantly by clamp.
    This would indicate hose I'd too big internal diameter or incorrect type that has swollen.
    My pick is wrong size or as suggested, clamped past pipe end.

Get correct size, likely 5.5mm, in a quality efi hose ( rated for all fuel types including E blends.
    Needs to be a push in fit, not loose.
    Also buy some efi clamps.
    http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    gussusbus and Gordon D like this.
  10. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, Type 4 pump with slightly too big possibly imperial hose and wrong size clamp tightened up way to far so it is damaging the hose. As long as the metal pipe in to the body of the pump is tight, you just need to replace it with some best quality proper size in metric as per Ratwell.com. No easy to come by and do not get it from super cheap or repco. Go to a hose place or European car parts shop. You should replace it every year regardless as new fuel seems to perish the rubber as well as the hot environment.

If you have trouble with the pump itself, they have been unavailable for years as well as the rebuild kits. The cheap Chinese replacement ones that have been on ebay recently are dubious quality at best. An electric pump is the best option but it will require a Tachometric relay (Peel brand is one type) that connects to the ignition coil and turns off the pump if the engine stops with the ignition still on. Of the pumps you need to find a good one rated at no more than 5 psi and ideally with a one way or shutoff valve, and if not you will need to add one. The cheap rattle pumps are terrible in their rating of pressure, but the pierburg 3- 5 psi rotary vane pump from injectorsonline.com.au (i think that is right) is one of the better options.

That's my 2 (or more) bits from my and others experience.

Adrian

gussusbus likes this.
  11. gussusbus

gussusbus New Member

Hi everyone

Thanks very much for all the help. I've tried moving the clamp down the hose but it's the rod/barb that's loose. I grabbed a better photo to show it. When it sits in the pump the drip stops now but it's not securely in there. Next I'm thinking I could loosen the clamp, slide the barb down further and see if it will stick more securely in the pump. Or is it supposed to be attached to the pump permanently and is broken? Mordred, I'm hoping I don't need to go that far but thanks for the advice in case I do.

Attached Files:

12. grumble

grumble Active Member

Gus the tube is supposed to be fixed permanently to the pump, there are a few fixes---
    No 1 is replace the pump before the whole lot goes up in smoke.
    No 2 is fit a threaded fitting to the pump in place of the loose outlet.
    No 3 is expand the existing tube slightly, add some loctite and drive it home again into the pump then after fitting the rubber hose fit a retaining wire between the clamp and pump to secure the spigot, hose and clamp in position.
    Obviously No 1 & 2 are the preferred methods and No 3 is done as a last resort.
    Note --This is given as information only and no responsibility is accepted for your actions.

David H, gussusbus and Gordon D like this.
  13. gussusbus

gussusbus New Member

Lol, thanks grumble! Don't worry, no liability for advice given. I like your solutions based thinking though :)

grumble likes this.
  14. David H

Grumbles got the answer & I go for No 2 given Mordreds no pumps available. I like threads:D...they hold. Just got the mech fuel pump 'blank off' done with threads on Old Boy as he's F/I.
    Cheers

gussusbus likes this.
  15. gussusbus

gussusbus New Member

Thanks everyone, great bit of advice. I'll talk it through with the mechanic and hopefully get it sorted.

David H likes this.
  16. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Hope you get it sorted, and glad you found it before you had bigger issues.
    Also pays to check the system over, was looking under the 411 today and found this (see pic). The hose runs over the CV boot, been fine for years, and no mark on it last service, but for some reason drooped a bit and was rubbing on the CV boot. Glad I found that before it broke through! Replaced the hose and put a few extra supports in!

Attached Files:

gussusbus likes this.
  17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

If you need a clamp to stop a leak then you have the wrong size hoses. The clamp is there to hold the hose in place.

18. David H

Pressure side?;)
    Cheers

19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I am not saying not to use a clamp but even without one it should not leak. Years ago most people didn't use clamps. (not fi)

tomhic, grumble and Grantus like this.
  20. grumble

grumble Active Member

True VW didn't use clamps on their hoses, ( the problems started after the ethanol was added to fuel) I don't use worm drive clamps as the flar section is larger than the hose diameter there is a hose clamp that is a full circle which clips together supplying firm pressure but I cannot remember the name, I purchased them through Pirtek-- Brilliant clamps but don't stop the brass fitting slipping out of the pump.